Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2007, 06:44 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,725,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme123 View Post
I am in the process of moving FROM Indiana TO California. I can't tell you where the best place to move is but I can share a little bit of what i have observed over the last 5 years.

The people are very nice(not genuine) but to your face nice. Most of the north is made up of small towns, which means that you will have NO privacy. Most people live, work and die within a very small radius of where they were born and their family therefore they have a very limited perspective and life is very back-or-white. Most people are not college educated and have little interest or awareness of other cultures, countries or people. This does not make them "bad" just be ready for patriotism that sometimes borders on ethnocentricsm and a lot of statements that start with"them" or "us" and a lot of explanations about life based on "the way God made it".

And of course don't forget, which I was not aware of until my arrival. Indiana's contribution to US history is the birthplace of the KKK. Therefore, be ready for some seep seated perspectives not based in anything remotely logical.

If you want to be close to family on the east coast consider OH..........
Oh brother, you couldn't be more wrong. Sorry you had such a go of things here, but you're wrong about the KKK having it's birthplace in Indiana ... Lordy lord!

I'm not dismissing that DC Stephenson, the most notorious of Klan leaders was the leader of the Klan in Indiana, but also in 14 other states at the same time .. he's from Texas and Oklahoma btw. The Klan itself was started in the south after the civil war ... not in Indiana.

Have fun in California. Hopefully you'll stay out of small towns in California and heaven forbid you live in a town that has "gasp" people related to each other and people who are religous! Oh perish the thought. No mean people who are nice to your face in California either right? Let us all know where that place is and we'll be followin' ya!

Now weather in Indiana v California ... that's a distinct reason, but your reasons could be related to any state in this country.

Toodles and wear sunscreen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2007, 06:50 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,513,094 times
I'd like to be away from the religious ones. The more religion they have, the more they will backstab and judge you.

Old 12-27-2007, 01:27 PM

413 posts, read 1,845,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
I'd like to be away from the religious ones. The more religion they have, the more they will backstab and judge you.
.......werd.

Old 12-27-2007, 02:18 PM

260 posts, read 1,346,239 times
Quote:
I have run into, repeatedly, the same hostile "You're an outsider" garbage since I came here. I have met a few good souls, but I would say most, and this is most of the women I have met are mean-spirited and gossipy.

I can't stand it anymore. Some overgrown sow with a ring on her finger isn't better than me and I am tired of their stupid competitiveness like that on the job.
Well, reality check here, this type of mentality (and those expressed by justme), while it may exist in some small indiana communities, is not specific to Indiana, it is in existence in any "small town USA". doesnt make it right, but those type of people exist everywhere, and probably always will.

Old 12-27-2007, 02:28 PM

Quote:
I can't afford to buy a home here in Indiana, and I make over 50K, so I don't get the big affordability thing here.
Jobs aren't secure, so if you buy a home, and lose a job, like I have lost 2 jobs here already, you're going to have to foreclose.
For me, it's the attitudes here.
The market here is such that if you can afford to rent, you can afford to buy. i bought my first house when i was only making $38k/yr. Still could afford a new car and furniture and everything else I needed. I know people who buy houses on even less of an income. I don't mean to pretend like I know your financial situation, but if you can't afford to buy at $50k/yr, then your money must be going somwhere else.

Old 12-27-2007, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Oh brother, you couldn't be more wrong. Sorry you had such a go of things here, but you're wrong about the KKK having it's birthplace in Indiana ... Lordy lord!

I'm not dismissing that DC Stephenson, the most notorious of Klan leaders was the leader of the Klan in Indiana, but also in 14 other states at the same time .. he's from Texas and Oklahoma btw. The Klan itself was started in the south after the civil war ... not in Indiana.

Have fun in California. Hopefully you'll stay out of small towns in California and heaven forbid you live in a town that has "gasp" people related to each other and people who are religous! Oh perish the thought. No mean people who are nice to your face in California either right? Let us all know where that place is and we'll be followin' ya!

Now weather in Indiana v California ... that's a distinct reason, but your reasons could be related to any state in this country.

Toodles and wear sunscreen.
Thanks for saving me some typing domergurl. It kills me when people try to say how judgemental, closed minded, or snobish people are, but their comments are full of closed minded, snobish judgement! Talk about calling the kettle black...oh the irony.

Every culture / society will always have people from various degrees of income or education, and a degree of adaptation will be required if you choose to relocate there. If you lack the abiliy to adapt, you stand a very good chance of becoming a catalyst for controversy. This is human nature, nothing Indiana (or even american) about it.

Old 12-27-2007, 02:49 PM

4 posts, read 13,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by digdug View Post
We're a family of four living in Northern California, about 70 miles north of San Francisco.

Our goal is to leave California within the next few years. I won't go into all the reasons we want to leave, I think anyone who has lived in California or has friends/relatives in Califonia has heard all of ad nauseum.

My wife is a 1st grade teacher and the kids are in grade school. I work for a software company. I'm hoping that I'll be able to telecommute to work; I am currently doing this 2-3 days per week anyway...what would another 2 days be? lol.

We're interested in the mid-west, specifically Indiana or Ohio as we've got family in PA that we'd like to be somewhat close to.

Currently our little town has a out 24,000 people. We'd like something along this size, that is not too close to the big cities while still being a manageable drive if needed.

What's good about Indiana? Is it better in the north, south, east or west of the state? What gotchas might there be?
i live in indiana and a really good place to live in is clomumbia city.(i'm not sure how to spell it.)i live thier when i was in threed grade .i'm in 8 now but i loved that place soooo much.

Old 12-28-2007, 06:58 PM

10 posts, read 31,906 times
Default CA to INDY

We are looking and looking at the maps here and making a grid of closer places to live near Indy. My husbands company is on the northwest side of the city so we are looking in a radius of 20-45 min drive time.
I have found many,many homes here. I am looking forward to living there as it is very depressing here in Modesto. I know all too well being an outsider. When we moved here it took me eight months to get a job because we were considered b.a.t.s.(bay area transplants). Old timers here do not like the houses being bought by people from the bay area..it has driven the housing market up and the groceries and other products. The bay area is so expensive you live for your bills and have no life unless you make 150,000 a yr.
I hope to find a job as well in my new home area but hope it will be sooner than it was here.
If anyone knows of someone selling a home on 5 acres or more let me know.It has to an easy commute to Indy.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:44 PM

16 posts, read 105,753 times
We just visited and we really liked the Fishers area. We also liked Carmel, and Zionsville. We didn't like McCordsville because it seemed more industrial being just right off the train tracks. We didn't like the road that ran just along the tracks and that seems like the main route to town. Avon was a nice area but only one road to get there and it was kinda getto driving on 10th st all the way to Avon--we just didn't care for it.

Our favs to move to would be the south part of Carmel (housing is more than we want to spend), the closest part to the freeway in Zionsville (our realtor said that area is growing slower than Fisher-but will prob. grow alot in the next 5 yrs). Zionsville also has more expensive housing. We liked the area off of Allisonville road 116th street (in Fishers) and 131st street and the 37 in Fishers. If we could move wherever we wanted an money wasn't an issue we would probably pick Zionsville.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:52 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,513,094 times
Good luck finding and keeping a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana