Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 09:20 AM

439 posts, read 720,932 times

Advertisements

Indiana has to be one of the most conservative states in the country Digdug.
Those communities around Indy may be progressive for Indiana- but I would not call them progressive or liberal in the same breath as Santa Clara CA or Westport Connecticut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2006, 10:34 AM

9 posts, read 57,332 times
I'll interject a comment here. Yes some of the "bedroom "communities as such are progressive, but compared to say Cal. they are small enclaves surrounded by traditional agricultural/ small town folks who are friendly to a fault, but definately not progressive in many ways.

Old 09-07-2006, 08:31 PM

2 posts, read 12,138 times
Well I have lived here all my life but am on eastside of indianapolis which is not the best area. I am sending you a couple websites to do somresearch, Hope they can help you some. I too think that Greenwood is a nice area and you can get a home that is still a little ways outside the main street where all the stoes and things are. Also I think some nice areas are Greenfield, New Palestine area. Not sure of crime rates but i believe their not too bad in those areas. Of course it depends on how expensive a home your wanting but there are some sub-divisions that have the homes really close together but their are also some who dont. Good Luck! We are known as the hoosier hospitality state by the way!

http://indianapolis.citysearch.com/
https://www.city-data.com/city/Indiana.html

Old 09-09-2006, 07:32 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,720,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeofgoodies View Post
You will fit right in! If you're conservative, come to Indiana, because this state is falling down the hill, and that's why! We have so many stupid people in Indiana it's not funny. No one can drive, they will pull out in front of you when you're 5 feet away from them. I saw someone ram this poor lady at the off ramp of 465 today, because he was to busy gabbing on the phone, and when he rammed her, he pushed her hard enough that she nearly hit my car!! If you work in the Hospitality Industry, wages will suck, and you will kill yourself in 3 years flat, (just a pun), because everyone is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO annoying that checks in. It's the Midwest Thing to bother the front desk, because for whatever reason, they don't think we have enough to do, or just don't want to talk to them.

If you don't like blacks, this would not be the area of the country I would recommend. We have a lot of Hispanics, most of which don't speak English, but don't really bother you. The blacks on the other hand, are out of control in the inner city, crime is fairly high, but not as high as LA, the good areas as far as real estate value would not be anywhere in the city, but on the subburbs.

Really, I would pick somewhere else, because I think you will lose your patients with people here rather quickly. I have, and that's why I am moving. Not to mention the weather is horrible, the summers HOT, every thing else is COLD, with major flucuations in temp. One day it will be 65, and the next day it will be 32. You're a big boy, I am sure you can make your own decision, but I would stay away from the midwest, unless you're just bound and determined. Nebraska is nice, Kansas, Tennessee is LOVELY. BTW, we don't have a "telecommute" here. That's one thing you will need to do, is leave the BIG city ammenities behind. We are plain, country folk, with very little education for the most part.

DANG!!!! I think you need to find somewhere else to live ... Indiana has made you very angry.

Old 09-10-2006, 12:32 PM

64 posts, read 315,857 times
Default Brown county girl

Ok I just had to add my 2 cents in here.
I grew up in Brown County Indiana and now live in the burbs of Cincinnati. I loved Indiana, and you just have to fall in love with the beauty and charm of Brown County. It is home to many talented artist and the most glorious display of mother nature in the fall.
I am not sure where the person that said Indiana is not so smart. It is home to many wonderful higher education establishments. Purdue grad myself. And Indianapolis is a very progressive city.
I would say that Cincinnati is much more conservative. But it is also a wonderful city. And we are trying to break out of the stigma of being a racist city. We have a wonderful Underground Railroad Museum. Oprah and Bill Cosby and many of leaders in the black community have backed this establishment. Real Estate is good and taxes are low in some area.

Old 09-11-2006, 05:40 AM

1 posts, read 8,093 times
Default southern Indiana to SC

I'm from a very small town in Posey county,IN.I moved to SC 3 years ago and I do regret it, everyday! In the good ol' south the schools are over crowded and behind. Everywhere you look there is trash, over grown grass and weeds, along the roads,highways, businesses. It always looks dirty. Southern hospitality? What's that? I've never seen it down here, as a matter of fact, I haven't seen or felt it since I left Indiana. Oh, and the weather, it's just wonderful if you like hot and humid, no fall or spring. In other words, if not for the 7 months of Hurricane season, there are NO seasons! Drivers here are a joke. They tailgate, have no clue how to adapt to wet roads and they do not have the "left lane passing only" law, so both lanes are always jammed. I'll gladly take my home sweet home of Indiana over this hot,sticky,trashy place..anyday! I'm proud to be a small town Hoosier girl. Looking for big city attitudes? Then move somewhere else and leave a state that has great schools, nice neighborly people, a clean,neat appearence and ALL the seasons of the year. I am looking forward to moving back home next year and saying good ridance to the south. For those of you fellow Hoosiers who choose to bad mouth her, try moving away for a while, then you'll appreciate the GREAT state of Indiana.

Old 09-11-2006, 07:47 AM

13 posts, read 88,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeofgoodies View Post
You will fit right in! If you're conservative, come to Indiana, because this state is falling down the hill, and that's why! We have so many stupid people in Indiana it's not funny. No one can drive, they will pull out in front of you when you're 5 feet away from them. I saw someone ram this poor lady at the off ramp of 465 today, because he was to busy gabbing on the phone, and when he rammed her, he pushed her hard enough that she nearly hit my car!! If you work in the Hospitality Industry, wages will suck, and you will kill yourself in 3 years flat, (just a pun), because everyone is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO annoying that checks in. It's the Midwest Thing to bother the front desk, because for whatever reason, they don't think we have enough to do, or just don't want to talk to them.

If you don't like blacks, this would not be the area of the country I would recommend. We have a lot of Hispanics, most of which don't speak English, but don't really bother you. The blacks on the other hand, are out of control in the inner city, crime is fairly high, but not as high as LA, the good areas as far as real estate value would not be anywhere in the city, but on the subburbs.

Really, I would pick somewhere else, because I think you will lose your patients with people here rather quickly. I have, and that's why I am moving. Not to mention the weather is horrible, the summers HOT, every thing else is COLD, with major flucuations in temp. One day it will be 65, and the next day it will be 32. You're a big boy, I am sure you can make your own decision, but I would stay away from the midwest, unless you're just bound and determined. Nebraska is nice, Kansas, Tennessee is LOVELY. BTW, we don't have a "telecommute" here. That's one thing you will need to do, is leave the BIG city ammenities behind. We are plain, country folk, with very little education for the most part.
WOW.. Indiana is heaven compared to anywhere NEAR Chicago. You will beg to move back there if you move ANYWHERE within 60-100 miles of Chicago, IL. We are one of the 3 most heavily populated illegal immigrant population. Whites are minorities in MOSt of Chicago. If you lived in Chicago 10 years ago, don't even respond. It has changed (including the affluent suburbs) SO MUCH in the past 3 years or so. I have many friends who agree.

So I'll switch places with you in a heartbeat. you don't know stench, crime, and liberal idiocy until you come to IL. You'll beg to live in Indiana again. I thought I'd never want to move away from IL/Chicago but all that changed this year as the Democrats have driven the state steadily downhill. Whites are the minority and I cannot WAIT to get away. I was always in diverse areas/neighborhoods/schools and I didn't care. I just don't like now that the inhabitants and politicians now hate you if you are white. You pay thousands of $$ in taxes just to educate and support people on welfare, illegal immigrants. You can't commute to work since immigrant marches with hundreds of thousands of people are now a regular thing. Oh, and enjoy the drug dealing and gunfire that you see/hear all the time. Dont look at someone the wrong way or wave your hands or anything or your head will be blown off.

Wake up if you think Indiana is bad. Live in Chicago NOW.

One of my best friends here that feels the same way says her family and all her friends are moving out. no one is staying here (chicago area or suburbs)

Old 09-11-2006, 08:58 AM

6 posts, read 36,711 times
Default California to Indiana or Ohio?

No one has mentioned that perhaps Digdug should consider Ohio as he mentioned in his initial query. I've spent only a day or two in Columbus during business trips but it seems like an attractive city to consider. It has a variety of attractive suburban areas, the university, inexpensive housing, and it is also a good area for family life. I'm originally from the Indianapolis area and lived there for many years but have lived in the Maryland, Florida, California, Canada, and Europe as well. I find Indianapolis a decent enough city that suffers when compared to the many other cities that offer more cultural and entertainment opportunities, attractively diverse neighborhoods, and less provincial attitiudes. Crime is on the rise of late and the traffic seems to be getting worse everytime I return to visit my parents. The road network seems like it hasn't changed for years but the traffic has increased tremendously due to all the new residential construction generated by the low interest rate fueled building boom. Winter weather is gray and overcast and even in the summer the skies seem grayish-blue instead of the bright blue that I've found in other areas where I've lived. Winter weather is cold and miserable but not sufficiently wintry to provide for winter sports and related activities. Hoosiers, of which I still consider myself even though living elsewhere, always take pride in their state and in the "Hoosier Hospitality" mantra but to a great extent that is because the majority have not lived anywhere else and do not have a valid basis for comparison. Most refugees from undesirable areas will find anywhere else, Indianapolis included, a better place. But some might be dismayed when they discover that Indianapolis isn't the haven they expected before relocating.

Old 09-11-2006, 09:16 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,083,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicollew View Post

Wake up if you think Indiana is bad. Live in Chicago NOW.

One of my best friends here that feels the same way says her family and all her friends are moving out. no one is staying here (chicago area or suburbs)

Wow! I live in Chicago now (a few miles a bit north, but mostly west from the LOOP area), and grew up in the south burbs, and I've been here (the city proper) on and off since 1992 for over ten years, and well, I really like it. It is not true that 'no one is staying here', the region is growing, and at quite a decent clip. I find your vitrol rather odd and quite frankly I don't quite get it. Sure there are downsides, but one could say that of any region of the country. Oh, and I commuted to and from work without any incident whatsoever on the day of that march you are referencing and clearly you have no idea what you are talking about if you think the whole city is a warzone. The most recent activity in my neighborhood was a neighborhood sponsored garden walk in which local residents wandered up and down the street discussing the state of each other's Hostas, and the finer points of urban gardening.

Sheesh.

Old 09-12-2006, 09:54 AM

38 posts, read 383,092 times
Well you are all offering up some great pros and cons. It's hard to imagine anything but CA. I guess the grass always looks greener, etc. etc.

Indiana sounds great, but like they say, I guess the proof will be in the pudding. We're hoping to pay the Hoosier state a visit next summer when we take our annual vacation.

We're planning on visiting the Fishers, Noblesville area. Any other areas to consider and why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana