Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2020, 07:08 PM

4,506 posts, read 4,628,839 times

Advertisements

I don't think Indiana is so much backwards as it is just slow. Outside of Indianapolis and Northwest Indiana, the state moves at a very slow pace. Nobody is in a hurry. I notice that everytime I go back to Indiana. It's a refreshing change of pace. With the slow pace of life and low cost of living, Indiana should market itself as a retirement alternative destination. I bet there would be a lot of retirees move there.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2020, 06:47 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,663,780 times
I thought the only people who voluntarily lived in Indiana were in the Federal Witness Relocation Program.

Old 10-26-2020, 07:29 AM

35,102 posts, read 31,367,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I don't think Indiana is so much backwards as it is just slow. Outside of Indianapolis and Northwest Indiana, the state moves at a very slow pace. Nobody is in a hurry. I notice that everytime I go back to Indiana. It's a refreshing change of pace. With the slow pace of life and low cost of living, Indiana should market itself as a retirement alternative destination. I bet there would be a lot of retirees move there.
There just isn't a lot to do from a natural beauty perspective. The weather isn't the best. It's middle of the road in every aspect.

Some people will enjoy that, and while there are things I miss about Indiana, the things I didn't care for (lack of natural beauty and weather) aren't going to change.

Old 10-26-2020, 09:56 AM

307 posts, read 256,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
There just isn't a lot to do from a natural beauty perspective. The weather isn't the best. It's middle of the road in every aspect.

Some people will enjoy that, and while there are things I miss about Indiana, the things I didn't care for (lack of natural beauty and weather) aren't going to change.

This!

There are several things I enjoy about Indiana but weather is NOT one of them. Sure, when it's nice it's great...but it's less than half the year...I'd say maybe 1/4-1/3 of the year if that. If I could afford it, I'd move somewhere else.

Old 10-27-2020, 02:40 PM

470 posts, read 469,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBear1234 View Post
This!

There are several things I enjoy about Indiana but weather is NOT one of them. Sure, when it's nice it's great...but it's less than half the year...I'd say maybe 1/4-1/3 of the year if that. If I could afford it, I'd move somewhere else.
I grew up in Indiana and spent much of my life there before moving to Florida in 2013. I understand how you feel about the weather in Indiana and I think that much of that feeling might be due to the gray skies that predominate in the winter months. Florida has little of that but the heat here can keep a person indoors quite a bit. The temps have been in the high 80s lately with the real feel being in the high 90s. Today the real feel was 100. Florida seems to have never ending summers and I find myself missing the cool fall weather of northern Indiana. It starts getting hot here in May and it usually doesn't let up until November.

Old 10-27-2020, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veniceman View Post
I grew up in Indiana and spent much of my life there before moving to Florida in 2013. I understand how you feel about the weather in Indiana and I think that much of that feeling might be due to the gray skies that predominate in the winter months. Florida has little of that but the heat here can keep a person indoors quite a bit. The temps have been in the high 80s lately with the real feel being in the high 90s. Today the real feel was 100. Florida seems to have never ending summers and I find myself missing the cool fall weather of northern Indiana. It starts getting hot here in May and it usually doesn't let up until November.

Yep, I call the constant gray skies "The Permacloud" and it's a major factor in why I'd love to move.

I don't envy you though! Although I'd love to visit FL in the winter just to get away from The Permacloud I'd never be able to live there full time....WAY too hot. I do enjoy the 4 seasons that we have here in Northern Indiana. The trees are beautiful right now and it's been pretty cool lately.

Ideally I'd love to have a winter home in AZ and a summer home somewhere along Lake Michigan, maybe in South Haven ....now, where's my winning lottery ticket?!

Old 10-27-2020, 06:40 PM

26,432 posts, read 46,638,115 times
Quote:
Yep, I call the constant gray skies "The Permacloud" and it's a major factor in why I'd love to move.

I don't envy you though! Although I'd love to visit FL in the winter just to get away from The Permacloud I'd never be able to live there full time....WAY too hot. I do enjoy the 4 seasons that we have here in Northern Indiana. The trees are beautiful right now and it's been pretty cool lately.

Ideally I'd love to have a winter home in AZ and a summer home somewhere along Lake Michigan, maybe in South Haven ....now, where's my winning lottery ticket?!
Most people in this area have Vitamin D deficiency. I start taking extra supplements starting the first week in October, and stop taking them by the end of April... Indiana has inferior winter weather, not cold enough for consistent snow or drier air, just slop. To get real winter weather with dry powder snow and more sunlight you have to be much further north than Indiana.

Old 10-27-2020, 08:09 PM

3,071 posts, read 2,410,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Most people in this area have Vitamin D deficiency.
Vitamin D deficiency is common everywhere. I had it in sunny Denver.

Old 10-27-2020, 08:44 PM

35,102 posts, read 31,367,047 times
Quote:
This!

When I lived in Indy, I worked for a Boston HQ company. Boston, while a bit colder, gets a lot more sun in the winter than in Indy. That's easily seen with Wikipedia weather data. I'd rather be 30 with sun than 40 with rain/sleet.

When I moved back to Tennessee, the winters aren't that much better, but they are a bit shorter, we have a bit more sun, and it's not uncommon for temps to shoot up into the 60s, even in January. Low level brush often starts greening up in late February - by mid-late April, spring is completely in bloom.

The incessant grey got to me. It made me miserable. I've spent a lot of time in New England in the winter as well, and even though there may be more snow and it's colder overall, the extra sun peps you up.

Old 10-28-2020, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Most people in this area have Vitamin D deficiency. I start taking extra supplements starting the first week in October, and stop taking them by the end of April... Indiana has inferior winter weather, not cold enough for consistent snow or drier air, just slop. To get real winter weather with dry powder snow and more sunlight you have to be much further north than Indiana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
When I lived in Indy, I worked for a Boston HQ company. Boston, while a bit colder, gets a lot more sun in the winter than in Indy. That's easily seen with Wikipedia weather data. I'd rather be 30 with sun than 40 with rain/sleet.

The incessant grey got to me. It made me miserable. I've spent a lot of time in New England in the winter as well, and even though there may be more snow and it's colder overall, the extra sun peps you up.
I agree. I take Vit D too and get plenty of sun in the summer (I've read that the body can store it...not sure how accurate that is though). I also read somewhere that direct sunlight affects more than just Vit D levels...it also has an effect on serotonin levels...something to do with the sunlight hitting the retina of the eye to stimulate it:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3779905/
https://www.healthline.com/health/de...efits-sunlight

Slop weather describes IN winters perfectly...so depressing just thinking about it! Jan and Feb are the worst; come March the days are getting longer and I can see the light at the end of the tunnel haha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana