Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 08:09 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,069,805 times

Advertisements

People will be people, and most of the people in my town are at least nervously tolerant of other races. What bothers me is the institutionalized idiocy such as the additional (and IMO unnecessary) "homeland security" measures that have been voluntarily adopted by the Indiana legislature. What especially irks me is the RealID card that Indiana is forcing upon drivers. The proposal for national ID cards was defeated on a federal level, but it seems the fear that spawned the idea of a national registry is alive and kicking here in Indiana.

It really shocks me that people think Indiana needs enhanced security measures such as making the BMV a immigration enforcement or identity verification checkpoint. The people there aren't trained USCIS or DHS agents, in fact they can barely do their regular job. When you give them a little more power, then you see institutionalized discrimination at these state-run institutions. I can't count the number of times I've heard about people running across a pompous know-nothing offical telling them their papers weren't in order or that they weren't authorized to do some basic life function (like driving--which in a spread-out state like Indiana IS life) and be totally wrong.

I might understand such measures in immigrant-heavy states with large port cities and major commercial/industrial centers like California or New York, but here, what are people defending? The corn? The ONE 20-story "skyscraper" in downtown Indy? It doesn't make sense that we've got such "tight" security here in the middle of nowhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 10:46 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,154,704 times
I can honestly say I don't know much about the RealID thing. But your post got me thinking about my BMV experiences and they were not great. I did witness certain individuals having a hard time obtaining their licenses. I often heard comments such as "I dont understand why this is not enough!" or "I dont understand, I never had this issue before and I have lived in several states!"

I didnt pay a whole of attention to these disagreements as I was going thru my own hell on obtaining a license. Since everyone boasts that this area is referred to Michiana, I was stunned that my Michigan drivers license was completely disregarded. I had to show two pieces of ID. A birth certificate AND a passport. I wont even go on about how silly the driver's written test was.

A year later I didnt anticipate how difficult it would be to change my address. I went in thinking it would be a simple task but of course it wasnt. I was told I had to return with two, not one, but TWO utility bills that show my new address. I had to wait a few weeks because we hadnt received any utility bills yet. So I finally get them in the mail and go back to the BMV. I was told they cant accept it because the bills had to be in MY name. I was pissed. I have been married for 14 yrs and out of that time frame I cant recall ANY utility bills that came in both my husband's name and mine. Since he had moved to Indiana first, he set up everything in his name. The only way I could change my address was that my husband had to come in with me. I showed the woman at the counter my mortgage papers, surely this would be enough proof that I moved. Nope. Eventually my husband had to take a day off work so we both could go down and get our addresses changed. Unbelievable. Finally I got one of the BMV employees to accept my credit card statement that had my new address on it. But she acted like she was doing me a huge favor.

After going through that drama I again didnt anticipate having to prove myself at the local library. My drivers license wasnt enough. I had to bring in two utility bills showing my address before I could get a library card. I really feel there is a paranoia in Indiana. It just seems like getting anything done involves a lot of "proof".

Old 10-29-2009, 12:08 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,069,805 times
Quote:
I really feel there is a paranoia in Indiana. It just seems like getting anything done involves a lot of "proof".
Yeah. Sometimes I just want to shake these people and shout "Look, I'm here aren't I? That proves I'm a resident. Do you think anyone actually VISITS this godforsaken place? Do you get a lot of library-card terrorists who come through collecting your $0.15 laminated cards? Is that why you've implemented threat-level-orange security on our strategic library card reserves?"

Well then I'm glad it's not just us. The dumbest thing we ever did was change our out-of-state driver's liscenses to Indiana ones. The out of state ones would've been good for 4-5 more years, far longer than we intend to stay stuck here. The Indiana BMV might have shorter lines than the DMV where we came from, but the dumbf---s working inside and the state's general paranoia make it a bigger headache than anywhere I've experienced.

I'd liken it to the Thailand/Cambodian border, but at least there, if the border guards don't like your papers, they're usually just fishing for a "donation". Here, it seems like they lie and misinform you just for the pleasure of it.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:04 AM

8,983 posts, read 17,308,092 times
There was an incident in downtown Indianapolis last year or the year before in which some tourists from Texas were hassled by the cops and forced to show their pics to the authorities. The cops were just making sure they were not terrorists. These were white people from Texas.

The state of Indiana is, in my opinion, waaaaaaay too paranoid about this stuff.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:48 AM

Well I have to say its refreshing to know Im not the only one that feels this way. Honestly, I feel like I stick out like a sore thumb here. I question things and get looks like I'm an idiot. I do understand that some groups were caught using library computers as a source for communication to various harmful groups but in all reality, I do not think Indiana is on anyone's hit list. Harmful groups target places with mass populations or areas that have beloved landmarks.

I wish we could have kept our out of state licenses and insurance. But we couldnt as we wanted to enroll our child in school. My husband had a small accident 2 yrs ago. He backed out of our driveway and hit the neighbors car. Very minimal damage. Our car didnt even need fixing. But when we set up insurance here, we are considered high risk and are paying extra premiums for the next year until his "horrible" accident drops off his record.

I have had the pleasure of dealing with the court system in Indiana as well. We purchased a home and after only 2 days we discovered the home was built adjacent to a superfund site (toxic land). We backed out of the deal and we were very disturbed to find out everyone involved knew about the site but didnt think it was a big deal. Actually I had to explain what a superfund site was to many people. They didnt know. We got hassled over us backing out and the sellers refused to give back our earnest deposit. This never would have flown anywhere else.

I was shocked later to find out that even our realtor was backing the seller. The attitude was, well the government said it was safe, it must be true! Even though according to the EPA, they would not promise that the problem would never cause future issues, everyone in a 3 mile radius had to loose their wells since the drinking water was contaminated. Obviously it wasnt a small issue. We ended up going to court. I was armed with all sorts of data regarding this land from the EPA, documents from St Joseph county etc. The judge basically said that since none of my documents (which were all valid sources and public docs) were not approved by a professor from a reputable university, he would not consider my information as truly valid. I was shocked. How can documents from the EPA not be valid? We lost our case and lost money. We had already purchased another house and had issues with the seller taking things from that home they werent supposed too. Again, we got the attitude like my husband and I were being "unreasonable." Our mortgage person was in Chicago and he was just baffled by how things are done in Indiana. By this time my husband and I had no fight left and just closed on the our house. My mother felt so bad for us she purchased the items that were taken as a house warming gift. I think she wanted to keep us from going over the brink.

I wish I could say Im going to pack up and leave tomorrow but I have a child in school and my husband does seem to like his job. In a few years after my child graduates, I would seriously like to think about moving again. I guess it all depends on what the economy will be like. I am still trying to keep an open mind but after a year and half, its pretty difficult.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:42 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,750,808 times
don't forget, Indiana was neck deep in the license scandal that hit Illinois years back. The BMV started cracking down befor 9-11 ... at least that's what I remember having moved back to the state in 2000.

As for the other paranoic feelings that seem to be permeating our gov-mint ... don't forget, as long as those things are listed by gov-mint officials, they get Fed tax money to support them. I remember when the Rollerdome in Fort Wayne was listed as a prime terrorist target .... someone had to have put that on there to get money from the Feds.

just my thoughts.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:34 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,543,968 times
This is not just an Indiana thing, folks. It's a federal requirement.

REAL ID Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-30-2009, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I remember when the Rollerdome in Fort Wayne was listed as a prime terrorist target .... someone had to have put that on there to get money from the Feds.

just my thoughts.
A roller rink was put on a terrorist target hit list? LMAO. Like I said I really dont know much about the RealID thing. I just have observed getting things done have been far more difficult that Im used too. I can safely say this coming from a area that has the largest arab population in the United States. I would think it would have been more difficult for me back home.

Old 10-30-2009, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
This is not just an Indiana thing, folks. It's a federal requirement.

REAL ID Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This is not enforced in Michigan to the degree Indiana does. I also cant help but wonder why Indiana is so strict but then so lax on hate crime laws.

Old 10-30-2009, 09:48 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,543,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
This is not enforced in Michigan to the degree Indiana does. I also cant help but wonder why Indiana is so strict but then so lax on hate crime laws.
Seems that the enforcement level in Michigan may have to do with that state being one that's trying to buck the law: Michigan House Rejects Real ID Act. Politically speaking, it shouldn't be a shock given the political affiliation of each state's governor. And, as Domergurl mentioned, the BMW was mired in an ID controversy not too long ago.

Can't help but ask....how is Indiana lax on hate crime laws??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana