Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2020, 12:24 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,619,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post

You know why the Hoosiers were glad when the twin bridges between Henderson and Evansville were built?
Then they could swim to Henderson in the shade.
I've heard that joke many times before but I never have got it. Maybe you or somebody can explain it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2020, 01:22 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,545,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I've heard that joke many times before but I never have got it. Maybe you or somebody can explain it.
You wouldn't happen to be a Hoosier, would you? lol

Old 10-30-2020, 01:41 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,414,714 times
Quote:
That's funny.

If the sun was overhead, and you were under the bridge, where would you be?

Old 10-30-2020, 03:30 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,545,902 times
Quote:
If you're being serious, with a bridge going across the river they wouldn't have to swim across any more. They could use the bridge!

Old 10-31-2020, 11:21 PM

Quote:
You wouldn't happen to be a Hoosier, would you? lol
I feel like I am for the most part. I spent most of my childhood there and went to school there but I been living in Texas for about 45 years. I guess I think of myself as a Texas fried Hoosier.

Old 10-31-2020, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
That's funny.

If the sun was overhead, and you were under the bridge, where would you be?
Ok I get it now. The Hoosiers thought the bridge was built so they could swim across the river in the shade. It never occurred to them to walk or drive across the bridge. It makes sense now. It is kinda funny.

Old 11-01-2020, 01:49 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,414,714 times
Quote:
Ok I get it now. The Hoosiers thought the bridge was built so they could swim across the river in the shade. It never occurred to them to walk or drive across the bridge. It makes sense now. It is kinda funny.
Eureka!

Old 11-01-2020, 11:57 AM

8,981 posts, read 17,294,566 times
Quote:
I used to live about 50 miles from Evansville, but in Kentucky. When I was up there, there were plenty of "Hoosier" jokes told and north of the river you'd hear about the same jokes as "Kentucky" jokes.

You know why the Hoosiers were glad when the twin bridges between Henderson and Evansville were built?
Then they could swim to Henderson in the shade.

What do you call pretty women in Indiana?
Tourists.

But I also heard the City of Evansville asked people to put their trash out in clear trash bags so Kentuckians can drive over and window shop.
I've heard these jokes, but inverted.

My personal favorite was "why doesn't Tennessee fall into Alabama? Because Kentucky sucks so hard."

Another one was "Kentucky is like the gallbladder. No one knows why it's there, and it doesn't really need to exist."

Or there was this one. "How do you starve a Kentucky fan. Hide the food stamps under the soap."

Or this one. "How do you know the toothbrush was invented in Kentucky? If it had been invented anywhere else it would have been called a teethbrush."

Old 11-02-2020, 11:30 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBear1234 View Post
I agree. I take Vit D too and get plenty of sun in the summer (I've read that the body can store it...not sure how accurate that is though). I also read somewhere that direct sunlight affects more than just Vit D levels...it also has an effect on serotonin levels...something to do with the sunlight hitting the retina of the eye to stimulate it:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3779905/
https://www.healthline.com/health/de...efits-sunlight

Slop weather describes IN winters perfectly...so depressing just thinking about it! Jan and Feb are the worst; come March the days are getting longer and I can see the light at the end of the tunnel haha!
Can’t speak for anyone else, but that was a big reason in my leaving. Not the only reason, but the winter gloom was a problem.

Old 11-14-2020, 04:51 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,079,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Can’t speak for anyone else, but that was a big reason in my leaving. Not the only reason, but the winter gloom was a problem.
Growing up the winter time never really bothered me. However, while I liked to be moving, I wasn't really an outdoor active type. My idea of moving was just going to the mall, people watching, checking some stores out. We have some OK outdoor areas in the state, but my friend group was more about watching TV, movies, eating, not really heading out to state parks and such. Plus, the Indy metro area really didn't have any of are higher end state parks nearby, so that played a factor in why my smaller group of friends didn't do a lot of outdoor stuff.

Once I was at college, I worked a part-time job where I was outside most the days. I didn't mind cold temps then, but being outside the majority of the days in winter in this area, you actually get to see periods of sunshine, so maybe I felt that it wasn't too overcast as most folks complain. I also have light sensitivity, so overcast skies were kinda nice as things weren't so bright.

As I've hit middle age, I'm not really not caring for the cold. The lack of sunlight still doesn't bother me, but I do notice it more now that I've read so many comments from others over the years. I've also gotten a lot more active in outdoor recreation. I do venture out more to various parts of the states now. Now that I work inside mostly, I'm waiting to see if that changes my views of winter or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana