Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 08:01 AM

912 posts, read 1,331,748 times

Advertisements

In the Indy star there is an article about a group that wants Indiana to go on central time .What do you think ? Personally I would like indiana not to observe daylight saving time .I have not understood how you gain an hour,or lose when there are only 24 hours in a day .Here is a link to the article .

http://www.indystar.com/article/2010...k-in-spotlight
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 11:22 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,725,561 times
as much as I wish this state would be on central time, it's a dead horse ... it will never happen.

Old 08-29-2010, 12:02 PM

48 posts, read 129,496 times
I liked it for the years & years we didn't change clocks. I also think we should have been put in Central Time when they decided on EST. As I understand it the TV Stations were the main force behind that... to put them on NYC broadcasting time. "Business" was also given as a reason. That is crazy... considering we do "business" worldwide.

You are SO RIGHT... there are only 24 hours in a day... PERIOD! LOL!

Old 08-29-2010, 12:10 PM

48 posts, read 129,496 times
I read the article. My daughter worked for Merrill Lynch in Seattle. Being 3 hours behind NYC Stock Exchange didn't seem to hurt them. <G> I am not in favor of Daylight Saving Time.... no matter if it's Central or Eastern. I also think it's confusing to have more than one time zone in the state. When meeting people in NWI or around Cincy... everyone has to make sure which time zone they're calling the "meeting" time.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:13 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,533,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSlass View Post
I read the article. My daughter worked for Merrill Lynch in Seattle. Being 3 hours behind NYC Stock Exchange didn't seem to hurt them. <G> I am not in favor of Daylight Saving Time.... no matter if it's Central or Eastern. I also think it's confusing to have more than one time zone in the state. When meeting people in NWI or around Cincy... everyone has to make sure which time zone they're calling the "meeting" time.
I never bought the business argument behind sticking w/ Eastern Time either. However, DST for me is important for consistency's sake. Nothing was more confusing to folks outside Indiana attempting to set up conference calls than having to wonder what the time was in Indiana. I would be OK with moving to Central Time if it does mean more daylight for school bus riders. Beyond that, I have only one selfish reason behind a CT preference - TV schedules. Even if we move to Central Time, however, I would expect the counties close to Louisville and Cincinnati to remain in the Eastern Time Zone.

I must throw out there -- having grown up in states that observe DST, I always found the resistence many Hoosiers have to DST weird.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:28 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,725,561 times
I think if you left it up to most Hoosiers, they would prefer to go back to the old way of not having to spend time moving your clocks twice a year. When I lived in Central, the one bummer was that in December, it was pitch black by 4:30 pm ... that was a bummer, but it sure made getting out of bed easier because it was daylight. And I can tell you that trying to get your children out of bed in the dark morning is no fun. Also, as much as a lot of adults dig the extra daylight, I sure don't ... especially with school going ... getting them into bed can be a real chore. I bought black out curtains for their rooms.

Mitch shoved this clock moving NYC/Detroit/Louisville time zone down our throats proclaiming that it would be good for business ... well, NWI & SWI are still doing what they've been doing all along ... nice try. This state is still a confusing mess with a majority of it in the wrong timezone and I don't think that businesses boomed as a result.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:40 AM

912 posts, read 1,331,748 times
I must throw out there -- having grown up in states that observe DST, I always found the resistence many Hoosiers have to DST weird.

I grew up in a DST state , and I HATE DST PERIOD !!If I had it my way we wouldn't move our clocks at all.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:45 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Let me tell you from experience, if you like more sun later in the day, living on the very eastern edge of a time zone sucks. Around here in June/July it's already bright out by 4:45am, which strikes me as a magnificent waste of daylight. A July visit to Houghton Michigan, which is about 40 miles west of Chicago but still in the eastern time zone, was quite an eye-opener. At 10pm the sun had just set and it was still basically daylight out. Man was I jealous.

What would Indiana gain from moving to the central time zone anyway?

Old 08-30-2010, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post

What would Indiana gain from moving to the central time zone anyway?
The most vocal proponents of switching point to kids having to stand in the dark in the morning while waiting for the school bus.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaProud View Post

I grew up in a DST state , and I HATE DST PERIOD !!If I had it my way we wouldn't move our clocks at all.
While I would agree that the reasoning behind DST -- that it leads to energy savings -- is dubious, DST is now a fact of life. So, better that Indiana is consistent with the rest of the nation (sans AZ and HI). The situation before adopting DST was even more confusing -- counties in the Central Time Zone followed DST, counties in the Eastern Time Zone near Louisville and Cincy followed DST, while the rest of the state stayed on EST year-round. For logistics businesses that operated under tight scheduling, that was a nightmare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana