Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 07:05 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
The most vocal proponents of switching point to kids having to stand in the dark in the morning while waiting for the school bus.
Ah yes, of course, "for the children."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 09:07 AM

1,766 posts, read 3,606,274 times
I love being on eastern time. It's really nice having daylight past 9:00 PM. Plus it's nice to not have to think about the time a TV show starts like you do on central time. Plus, what does this mean for Indiana's eastern counties. Will Fort Wayne be on a different time than the rest of the state to be the same as Ohio and Michigan. I'm sure that the counties around Cincinnati and Louisville will have to be on eastern time as well. No matter what time zone we are in, the entire state will never be the same.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:56 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
I love eastern time but HATE daylight savings time. I can't stand the fact that it is still dark at 7:00 AM in late August. That is just ridiculous. Who cares about evening or late afternoon daylight anyway? If your work starts early in the morning or if you want to go out and exercise you can't unless you want to bring a flashlight out with you!

Old 08-31-2010, 06:27 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I love eastern time but HATE daylight savings time. I can't stand the fact that it is still dark at 7:00 AM in late August. That is just ridiculous. Who cares about evening or late afternoon daylight anyway? If your work starts early in the morning or if you want to go out and exercise you can't unless you want to bring a flashlight out with you!
I exercise at night. If there were no DST, I would need a flashlight at night; or I would do what I do in the winter and go to the Y.

Last edited by Toxic Toast; 08-31-2010 at 06:40 AM..

Old 08-31-2010, 06:59 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,240,797 times
i worked in Indiana years ago and would travel between indianapolis and south bend.

what a time zone nightmare that was.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:04 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SacalaitWhisperer View Post
i worked in Indiana years ago and would travel between indianapolis and south bend.

what a time zone nightmare that was.
Why? Indianapolis and South Bend are in the same time zone.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:13 AM

369 posts, read 681,717 times
I'm in the Indy area, and I would rather us go back to no time change. I do think the entire energy savings argument about daylight savings time is bogus in current times, but who really knows. However, since the rest of the country does it, it does make sense for Indiana to do it as well. Indiana will never have one solid state time, and it shouldn't. Those counties near Louisville and Cinci should be allowed to be in those time zones, those counties near Chicago should be allowed to stay with Chicago.

Since we are changing our clocks, I like eastern time. The "For the Children!" folks who want Central because kids stand out in the dark waiting for the bus must only care about the children during the early morning. If we were Central, it would be dark in Dec. and Jan. around 4PM. Even though schools let out earlier than that, we already have issues around the state of kids on bus rides home lasting an hour or longer. If it is dangerous to be picked up in the morning in the dark, it is just as dangerous to be dropped off at home in the dark.

I also think that early twilight/darkness will harm Indiana's retail establishments from around mid to late Nov. till mid to late Feb.. I think there will be a mentality that says "It's cold, it's dark, I just want to get home." I would expect a massive drop in Mon.-Fri. rush hour and after spending, but a spike in weekend shopping. However, that spike might cause large waits in lines, parking, etc. if everyone starts choosing to move all shopping and other activities to the weekend when they can have some daylight to do things.

I know personally that if we move to Central time, any Fall and Winter activities I do now in Indiana may very well cease. I would rather cancel four Indiana trips and use that money and head east to Ohio so I can get more sunlight in the later hours for my activities/vacations.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:22 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,029,877 times
This issue is a colossal waste of time (pun intended).

I grew up in Michigan, and we never had any issues with late sunsets or kids going to school in the dark. People go to school in the dark during the winter anyway, and you'd simply be trading late sunsets in summer with early sunsets in winter. Besides, this state abuts so many different metro areas and time zones that it would be impossible to put the entire state on a single time.

For the record, DST is an antiquated concept, and I personally prefer Eastern Time because I'm a night owl.

Old 09-07-2010, 01:39 PM

40 posts, read 171,623 times
There was an article in our local paper that my wife was telling me about. She said, they were trying to get us back on the central time zone because to many children were getting hurt on thier way to school.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:25 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
^
Southern Indiana counties near Louisville will certainly not go on central time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana