Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 04:59 PM

3 posts, read 28,670 times

Advertisements

HI, Can anyone tell me general information about Watseka, IL. Is it a good place to live?? I have heard that there is flooding in that town. What do you know about that???
Thanks,

Last edited by tferr; 11-27-2006 at 05:46 PM..

Old 11-27-2006, 11:14 PM

260 posts, read 1,145,394 times
There has been some flooding there before, but nothing excessive. On the whole, Watseka has a good reputation, I see no reason why you wouldn't like the place.

Old 11-30-2006, 04:19 PM

260 posts, read 1,145,394 times
I've just been there for the day (I had to deal with a speeding ticket at the court house), but my impression was favorable. My local paper prints Iroquois County news, and I get the idea crime isn't a problem there, most of the time it's stuff from the local teens getting into trouble for minor property damage and such. The place has a sense of being extraordinarily safe to me. Have you payed Watseka a visit yet?

Old 12-04-2006, 04:14 PM

3 posts, read 28,670 times
Yes, Finally did get to Watseka. Nice town, nice people. But, still would like some more info. about the flooding.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:58 AM

1 posts, read 9,759 times
Thumbs down Watseka: Not a good choice

This response comes a year late, but for the benefit of those reading wanting to know about Watseka, here is my opinion: Watseka was just declared a State of Emergency the other day for flooding. This should answer anyone's questions about the flooding. It always floods there, particularly in certain sections of the town. I would not recommend buying a house in town. The rural areas are nice, if one could steer clear of the town. I have moved around quite a bit and have had exposure to many towns and cities throughout the country and even abroad. My parents moved to Watseka when I was a teenager, 20 years ago. They will admit now it was the biggest mistake they ever made. I am speaking in general terms here, but note, the drugs and STD's are rampant; amongst not only the teenagers, but middle-aged folks as well. From what I've heard, meth seems to be the drug of choice there. On the surface, the people are generally friendly, but I've never witnessed a place where so many rumors and backstabbing take place. Maybe it's in the water, but many people there seem to have a sort of emotionless attitude. I've heard it compared to the "pods" in the old sci-fi movie "Invasion of the Body Snatchers". They are very narrow-minded. There are only two cliques of people there; the poor hillbillies and the ones that have money that act like they're rich and snooty when they are actually just upper-middle class compared to the rest of the country. The town has literally about a dozen churches of various denominations, yet the general morality of the town is about as low as the flood valley they sit in. The school system has changed now and is nothing but a babysitter for the kids. Politics in the town are somewhat corrupt and they seem to make up the laws as they go along. It still makes me laugh that the town is named, the "City of Opportunity" because it's quite opposite to that. If you are a business owner, your business will probably be driven out of town. They seem to prefer their less-than-mediocre restaurants and businesses to ones that are actually decent. I don't think there is any coincidence that the only thing Watseka seems to be famous for is that two of its former residents were possessed. Even the little I've seen of people posting on myspace say the town is a hell-hole full of no-hopers. I don't recommend moving to Watseka for someone with children, unless you want them to become drug addicts. Former posts say crime is low, but I suppose that depends on what sort of crime we're talking about here. Compared to the ghettos of Chicago, maybe the serious crime level is low, but for a seemingly friendly smalltown environment, they have their fair share of domestic-related incidents and drug-related crimes.

Old 01-10-2008, 02:54 PM

1 posts, read 9,540 times
Default What a CROCK!

I was born and raised in Watseka and it's not that bad a place. It is a little boring but not alot of small towns are not. The flood of 2008 is the worst one that they have ever seen. It's not like it floods like this every year. I moved away a number of years ago but still have close contact with all my relatives and some old friends, one of which works for the sheriffs department. I was just back there in December of 07. There are a few morons doing drugs but it isn't any epidemic. Don't go there looking for a job, but it is a good community with some great people.

Old 01-10-2008, 03:15 PM

1 posts, read 9,529 times
Thumbs up It's Great

I live in Crescent City (the next town over) and I love Watseka it's a wonderful place. The flood of 2008 has been the worst everything is covered! My teacher had to go to woodland and go around to get to Crescent. Then my friend never came to school today because they were flooded in. The school was emailed a picture of him and his brothers in a boat out in their field. So you can visit Watseka to see that it's wonderful but you may not want to go right now!!!@

Old 01-10-2008, 06:03 PM

1 posts, read 9,424 times
Anyone that is from out of town and wants to see footage from the flood the last 2 days go to WANDTV.com, click on the Watseka. My fox chicago has footage also. My son took me around this afternoon and I cried. I am one of the lucky ones that has no water.

Old 01-14-2008, 11:45 AM

1 posts, read 8,812 times
Default flood etc in watseka

most of all watseka is a nice place to live but yes they do flood occasionally. It is flooded there right now a lot of this years flooding is beyond what is normal for watseka. So i would say if you want to live there have flood insurance. Best place is south of rt 24 and east of 3rd street and north of the schools known as wanda kendall and the high school.
But most of the people are nice. There are drugs there the same as everywhere but nothing like the big cities.
Overall its a nice place to live.

Old 02-04-2008, 12:39 PM

1 posts, read 7,430 times
Default Flood, etc in Watseka

I am a Red Cross volunteer and just spent a couple weeks in Watseka after the recent flood. Yes, there are parts of town that are very susceptible to flooding. You can learn where these are by checking where the flood plain is. Every town has some problem residents that fuss, spat and do drugs and I'm sure Watseka is no different.

But, while there I found that I was in a warm welcoming community. Everywhere I went I was treated like I was an old friend. I felt safe everywhere I went at all times of the day or night. I was impressed with the sense of "community", and how much they seemed to "come together" after this recent event. I saw lots of people from different walks of life giving time and things to others that had lost much to the flood.

Except for one small thing I'd be glad to live there. It is too darn cold there for someone who grew up in the South. BRRR!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois