Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 09:45 PM

1 posts, read 5,903 times

Advertisements

I used to live in Watseka a long time ago. Back in 1990, while I was there it did flood then also. It was usually around Nette Davis and down on 5th street. And some on the side where McDonalds is. (I'm sorry but I've haven't been there in awhile) I still have family in the town and we agree that this year was the worst. Back then there was crime but just like any other town. Very nice people and would visit the town again.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:44 PM

1 posts, read 5,881 times
SEARCHER3 obviously has a personal grudge with the city of Watseka. Most of what he says is false. The city rarely floods. What was going on in Jan. and Feb. were those 100 year floods you hear about. Most of the time any flooding is minor and not worth worrying about. There is no drug problem or crime problem. Just don't expect excitement. It's a pretty quiet place.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:09 AM

2 posts, read 12,055 times
There IS a HUGE drug problem in Watseka, RELATIVE to other areas and even bigger cities. I'm amazed that people say this is not true. I think anyone who lives there and says there isn't is living in a dreamworld, and perhaps this is part of the problem. It is an unfortunate fact, and if anyone wanting to live there finds reputable sources to research, I recommend doing that. Watseka does not generally have a good reputation with surrounding communities. I did hear someone say they knew someone who worked at a large Chicago hospital in a mental health area that knew that Watseka, or Iroquois County had an alarmingly high rate of incest. Whether this is true or not, I do not know. I also heard or read years ago that Iroquois County had the highest rate of liver cancer in the country. Again, whether this is true or not, I don't know. One thing that is a fact is that the town does flood; perhaps not like last year's flood, but at least every handful of years, on average, the "poor" side of town does.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:23 PM

1 posts, read 5,619 times
Default Watseka

A previous post about Watseka being an awful place to live is a bunch of bs. I moved to the Iroquois County area in 1993 and it has been one of the best places I have lived in my lifetime. Yes there are drug users, backstabbers, and Watseka does flood in certain locations at times.All towns have these problems to a certain extent.The flood of 2008 was a 100 year flood and was the worst they have ever seen. If you talk to the city hall they will tell you where the flood plain lies and just don't purchase in that area. I have always felt welcome and safe in that community anytime of day and night.The schools are good. Many people in the area recieve higher education and come back to teach,run companies,etc.here.
I curently reside in Crescent City(town next to Watseka) and would like to move to Watseka someday if possible, as our highschool here in CC is closing next year, so my children will have to go to Watseka eventually. I work mainly in Watseka and shopping is more convient there. Plus coming soon they will be getting a super Wal-Mart, which is very cool. I have several good friends who reside in Watseka, some of which were born and raised there. My children were both born there and I wouldn't trade that for the world.
Everyone has there own opinion...to each there own, but don't trash a place unjustly!

Old 01-25-2009, 11:59 AM

2 posts, read 9,480 times
Thumbs up Watseka

Lets face it most graduate from High School, and off they go to College.
I once had a wonderful teacher, who would say, "as you grow older you'll be
pulled back to your home", which has always been Watseka. I must say she
was right on, thank you Mrs. Jacobs! I still get the best of both, each year we get away to Scottsdale, Arizona. Watseka my place of birth. Now it's our turn to be responsible, and if there are things we don't like, we need to help make are community the best place to live.
All communities anywhere could be improved. I own a business in Watseka, and it's been difficult. You can't dwell on the bad. I once published a really awesome newspaper, and it was a big mistake when I quit. It's with-in all of us to make Watseka's economy strong again. It's our community, you make of that what your willing to put forth. I'm going to work hard to be a part of our community. My previous newspaper called Community News will once again be published. It's all about allowing local citizens to contribute through articles.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:37 PM

1 posts, read 5,561 times
Thumbs down City of Watseka

I must admit that I agree with Searcher3. I have lived in Watseka for more than 16 years. Unfortunately, I had a house in the flood of Jan 08 and Feb 08. To say they were devastating is an understatement. Despite the floods, the people are much much worse. I grew up in a small town and have NEVER seen people like this. They are narrow minded. They are backstabbers. They are all jealous of each other. Even the hillbillies Searcher3 talks about walk around town as if they are better than everyone. It is one gigantic competition among people who are no more emotionally mature than a junior high student. It is pathetic at best. It is a town of 5000 people. Everyone knows everyones business. They all judge each other, claim to hate each other and yet sit together at sporting events as if they are the best of friends. The crime is getting worse...Meth is the drug of choice and what is worse is the justice system. The judges give felons probation and very few spend time in jail. Speaking of felons....there is nothing stopping those people from coaching your kids little league, basketball or football. If it is not a school sponsored event, there is no background check. Yes that means a sex offender could coach your child. By the way, there are several convicted felons that regularly coach. Everyone complains, yet nothing changes. I swear they are all inbred and half are missing their teeth. It is a dirty town and if you just drive down the main street you will see the buildings falling apart and no one cares. It is so full of losers who are hopeless. There are NO jobs and nothing is being done to create jobs. Our house is for sale and hopefully, we can find someone to buy it. We want to get out of here. Unless you miss junior high and crave drama....steer clear of Hillbilly Heaven aka Watseka

Old 02-11-2010, 03:26 PM

1 posts, read 4,782 times
Default Looking for an old company in Watseka/Milford, IL

Hi,

My great grandfather had some dealings with a company called Rock River Planing Mill Company in Milford, IL around 1892.

Is there any type of historical society or village hall that may have some information on this company?

Thanks,
Mark

Old 04-07-2011, 03:20 PM

1 posts, read 3,854 times
I am a short term resident of Watseka. Overall, I find it depressing - desolate. The local economy is not robust, but I don't know what it was like prior to the current economy. There are areas of town that don't look like the properties should be condemned, but too much of the town does. There is trash everywhere...it looks beaten down. I understand that the floods in early '08 really hurt a great number of homeowners/families. I've been told that given the lack of flood insurance and the upside down nature of the RE market, many who could not afford the necessary repairs that would make their houses habitable again, simply dropped the keys off at the bank and turned the messes over to them.

It does seem very "hillbilly". I couldn't come up with the right word for it until I read it here.

The water is very hard. I read about the preponderance of liver cancer in the area in an earlier post. I have not found anything to substantiate that, but I am curious about the water.

I would like to think that this county seat has some energy within the citizenry to get a show of pride back. Pride seems missing. Not enough people are taking care of their homes and property. I am glad that I am escaping....I have become victim of my surroundings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois