Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 02:58 PM

12 posts, read 105,954 times

Advertisements

I've posted several messages with different questions about Rockford during the last few months... almost nothing positive has been said My family has decided to purchase a house there and take our chances anyway... on the West side. Some people might say it's crazy that's why I'm looking for anybody who thinks there's still hope for this town. We lived in Dublin, Ireland before. When we were planning to move there I heard so much crap about the city and the country in general (not about its history and so on but about regular daily life nowadays), I was terrified to go there. When I moved to Dublin it shocked me with the amount of condemned houses and suspiciously looking people. But after living there for a while I realized that despite of obvious problems, crime, drugs, poverty and so on - it's a wonderful country and a great city. Life there is much easier and simpler in comparison with other European countries and people are incredible...but that was Ireland. When I came to US the 1st thing that shocked me is racism situation. I've never thought that such a multinational country can have such a huge problem with people accepting somebody different from themselves. The most ridiculous thing for me is separation, when people of different races live in different parts of a city or a town...
And now we're moving to Rockford that according to the most of the posts is a "the darkest and the dirtiest sheep" in the Illinois family, if you know what I mean. And we're not only moving to Rockford but on its West side, that's like the deepest and the darkest abyss in the Universe I really do no believe that this is a hell on earth kinda town. And it's hard to believe that most of the people there are "demons" who are waiting for newcomers just to "suck their blood". Anybody! Is there anything good at all in Rockford? Is there any hope?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 03:06 PM

162 posts, read 803,988 times
I have friends there - they own the Golf Shack - cool place if you ever want to hit some balls or have a good meal.

Anyway, from what I know of Rockford - CHEAP housing and BAD schools.

If you can afford private schools, you can get a lot of house there for the money. Some very nice people and not a bad town - just not a lot of job opportunities there - and bad public schools. Personally, I like it - some great homes by the river/country club and some decent golf courses - and the private schools are pretty good as well.

Old 02-04-2008, 03:14 PM

1,016 posts, read 4,543,806 times
First off, Rockford is not a Chicago suburb so this thread is probably better off in the Illinois forum.

No, Rockford is not all bad. I wouldn't recommend moving to the West side, crime as poverty are much higher on the West side. The East side can be quite nice. That is where much of the retail/restaurants are located and there are lots of nice neighborhoods. And yes, housing is a steal compared to Chicagoland. The schools do have a bad reputation. But as with any school district, they are what you make of them. One of my best friends from college and her husband both graduated from Rockford's East High School. She now has her MBA from DePaul and her husband is now an attorney. So it is possible to succeed in Rockford's public schools as long as your children take learning seriously. And Rockford has plenty of good private school options as well. Is there any particular reason why you are choosing the West side over the East side?

Last edited by sbd78; 02-04-2008 at 04:27 PM..

Old 02-05-2008, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbd78 View Post
First off, Rockford is not a Chicago suburb so this thread is probably better off in the Illinois forum.

No, Rockford is not all bad. I wouldn't recommend moving to the West side, crime as poverty are much higher on the West side. The East side can be quite nice. That is where much of the retail/restaurants are located and there are lots of nice neighborhoods. And yes, housing is a steal compared to Chicagoland. The schools do have a bad reputation. But as with any school district, they are what you make of them. One of my best friends from college and her husband both graduated from Rockford's East High School. She now has her MBA from DePaul and her husband is now an attorney. So it is possible to succeed in Rockford's public schools as long as your children take learning seriously. And Rockford has plenty of good private school options as well. Is there any particular reason why you are choosing the West side over the East side?
We've been trying to find a house on the East side but we haven't found anything of the size and quality for the price we could afford. The house we've found is on Ashland Ave between N Rockton Ave and Auburn Street. We saw the house late in the evening so it was hard to say how good or bad the neighborhood was. It didn't seem that bad plus there's neighborhood crime watch sign on the street, that could be comforting if the system really worked. Anyway we've already accepted an offer. And we really like the house.
So now I'm just trying to find something good about the place so it doesn't look like we're getting a life sentence in hell :|

Old 02-05-2008, 02:23 PM

7 posts, read 26,112 times
Wow. whoever told you all those things has no idea what the hell they are talking about. I have lived in rockford for 20 years, born and raised in the area. As far as the midwest goes, I would say this is your typical mid size city. EVERY place has its fair share of crap and what not but come on, "darkest and dirtiest sheep" give me a break, have you never heard of joliet, peoria, carbondale, east st. louis, and the entire south side of chicago? theres ur "dirty sheep". Who comes up with this stuff?
The east side would be your upper class side, but the north west rockford area is JUST FINE DO NOT BE WORRIED. As far as the schools go, I am a teacher in the district and can tell you that it is and has been a struggling district for a long time but there are still plenty of schools in the district with no problem at all. Don't let anyone else tell you otherwise. I work for the district, I know what the issues are and I can pretty much guarantee you that no one else on this thread has any clue unless they are a RPS staff member.
THere are more parks and golf courses here than you could ever want. Affordable living, nice people, very close to Madison and Milwaukee (which are great) and Chicago. The downtown isn't always the most fun but so what, it's gettin there. Rockford is what you make it to be. If you want to be there, then you will like it. Please please do not listen to these complainers, if they don't like Rockford then they can suck it up or leave.

Last edited by mdz; 02-06-2008 at 08:10 AM.. Reason: no profanity please

Old 02-05-2008, 02:25 PM

and PS. I used to live in the Ashland Ave. area. You're totally fine. I still have lots of friends in that neighborhood.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LpLp23 View Post
and PS. I used to live in the Ashland Ave. area. You're totally fine. I still have lots of friends in that neighborhood.
Thank you for the nice reply It does make me feel better I asked before about College and Kishwaukee (flooding problems in Rockford thread) because we saw a house (1st house we looked at), that seemed like it had a lot of potential but when we drove there... it was a bit shocking. It looked like almost all the houses on the street are condemned.
Anyway when people have problems with a particular place they will most likely be the ones who send messages rather then the ones who are satisfied with the place. That probably explains why there are more complains than positive posts.
I experienced this kind of attitude against Dublin, which turned out to be a great city. I know you can't really say (with some exceptions, I suppose) how good or bad the place is (for you personally) until you actually live there.
Anyway thanks again

Old 02-06-2008, 05:20 PM

No problem. I have friends that live on Garfield Ave. I believe thats just a street or two away from you. Its a registered historic district. I'm not gonna lie, its not all that far away from some questionable areas, but my friends have nothing but positive things to say. If nothing else, you can always move east if you don't like it. I hope your move goes well. Good luck!

Old 03-02-2008, 03:18 PM

13 posts, read 60,987 times
We have lived here almost a year. On the west side by RMH. It is terrible. There is good reason behind people scaring you off. I didn't believe it before we moved here. I've lived lots of places in IL, OH, and NC and I will tell you this is by far the worst. The crime is terrible. The homeless are everywhere. You couldn't pay me to stay here. Taxes are also incredibly high-both sales and property. The gangs move fast in the area. One park right by here that was ok when we first moved is now a gang center with graffiti of penises and bad words everywhere, and that's not even the worst of it. All of my neighbors are now drug dealers. I feel more unsafe here then when I lived in inner city Cincinnati. That's pretty bad. Now, in the far NW part of Rockford, it's a bit safer. However, the gangs, like I said, are spreading, so it's only a matter of time. There are some beautiful houses. But it is just not worth the risk.

I have 4 kids and I repeat: do NOT send your kids to school here. Seriously. There are 3 schools (elementary) in the area you are talking about down the street from me. One is ok for the area, but very hard to get into as you can put a preference down for schools, so it fills up incredibly fast and is hard to get in. They are also overcrowded, so my Kindergartener only got into the school (instead of being shipped out) because my dd would be in 1st grade there. But he would have to be in a temporary class in the library or cafeteria. I pulled them, thankfully, to homeschool them.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:20 AM

71 posts, read 332,724 times
Just thought that I would have to add my comments here. I currently live in Rockford and we are planning to get out of there. It was a big mistake to move there in the first place. Schools are terrible and the hospitals are a joke. The law enforcement in Rockford could care less about maintaining crime. It takes the police forever to respond to your calls. I'm sorry that you already made an offer on your home. There are more wonderful communities to live in than Rockford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois