Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 11:39 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,429,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerStocktonian View Post
There are more wonderful communities to live in than Rockford.
The biggest understatement ever?

On Rockford's behalf, there are several areas of town that are completely safe and growing like crazy. Lots of new shopping centers going in, etc, even a waterpark or two. If you have kids, I wouldnt live there, unless you plan on putting them into a private school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 01:51 PM

32 posts, read 100,376 times
The East side is VERY VERY nice... the west side has quite a bit of crime and run-down homes.. I hope someday there is more improvement made to the West side, currently the river front is beautiful, but beyond that and some nice parks its a cluster of half demoed homes and businesses. If you want the beauty of the East side mixed with cheap taxes move to cherry valley

Old 06-06-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerStocktonian View Post
Just thought that I would have to add my comments here. I currently live in Rockford and we are planning to get out of there. It was a big mistake to move there in the first place. Schools are terrible and the hospitals are a joke. The law enforcement in Rockford could care less about maintaining crime. It takes the police forever to respond to your calls. I'm sorry that you already made an offer on your home. There are more wonderful communities to live in than Rockford.
Hospitals a joke... you have no idea what you are talking about

Old 06-06-2009, 10:20 PM

572 posts, read 2,487,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by czakaras View Post
The East side is VERY VERY nice... the west side has quite a bit of crime and run-down homes.. I hope someday there is more improvement made to the West side, currently the river front is beautiful, but beyond that and some nice parks its a cluster of half demoed homes and businesses. If you want the beauty of the East side mixed with cheap taxes move to cherry valley
The EAST SIDE is NOT very very nice. It may be better then most of Rockford but not very very nice. If you want very very nice go to Lake Geneva Wisconsin.
The West side has been bad for the last 20 years and will be bad for the next 20 years, it will not change.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:23 AM

Whats wrong with the East side, sure its not lake geneva, but for the price..... its so affordable here, and what really are we missing that makes other areas so wonderful.... moved here from Naperville, would rather live here by far!

Old 01-15-2010, 10:30 PM

134 posts, read 634,308 times
I am not very familiar with Northern Illinois but I heard Cherry Valley next to East Rockford is attractive so are smaller towns such as Machesney Park, Genoa, and Marengo. Belvidere is pretty decent so all those towns could be your other options if you are considering to live near Rockford.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:24 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,265,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by epath13 View Post
I've posted several messages with different questions about Rockford during the last few months... almost nothing positive has been said My family has decided to purchase a house there and take our chances anyway... on the West side. Some people might say it's crazy that's why I'm looking for anybody who thinks there's still hope for this town. We lived in Dublin, Ireland before. When we were planning to move there I heard so much crap about the city and the country in general (not about its history and so on but about regular daily life nowadays), I was terrified to go there. When I moved to Dublin it shocked me with the amount of condemned houses and suspiciously looking people. But after living there for a while I realized that despite of obvious problems, crime, drugs, poverty and so on - it's a wonderful country and a great city. Life there is much easier and simpler in comparison with other European countries and people are incredible...but that was Ireland. When I came to US the 1st thing that shocked me is racism situation. I've never thought that such a multinational country can have such a huge problem with people accepting somebody different from themselves. The most ridiculous thing for me is separation, when people of different races live in different parts of a city or a town...
And now we're moving to Rockford that according to the most of the posts is a "the darkest and the dirtiest sheep" in the Illinois family, if you know what I mean. And we're not only moving to Rockford but on its West side, that's like the deepest and the darkest abyss in the Universe I really do no believe that this is a hell on earth kinda town. And it's hard to believe that most of the people there are "demons" who are waiting for newcomers just to "suck their blood". Anybody! Is there anything good at all in Rockford? Is there any hope?
So now that you've been there for a while, have you found the answers to your questions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois