Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 01:24 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,465,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
You are not seeing the big picture, these artists could lead to more. Let's say Madonna boycotts AZ? Alicia Keys? Insert<artist you like here>? Would that be big enough for you?
I do get your point, but here's the thing - the majority of the state of AZ approved of this bill, including the legal Latino residents. If you polled the rest of the US, you would get similar results. Look at the poll in the PoC forum and you'll see similar results.

If "Vadge" herself crawled off her crucifix in opposition of the AZ law, how deeply would that impact the economy of AZ?

These boycott plans, and the wild speculations of those who are offended by this new law, are just a lot of pre-emptive hooey. Why not let the law do what it's supposed to, and if someone actually gets the "Gestapo" treatment and their civil rights are in fact violated, THEN go take to the streets with pitckforks and torches?

It has been reiterated time and again that this law is not written to harass folks because of their race - which is what those in opposition are constantly heralding. The law targets illegals, of which more than likely the majority are in fact from Mexico, given the fact that AZ borders Mexico. This seems like a no-brainer - if over 70% of illegals in AZ are Mexican, then by golly, there's going to be lots of Mexicans detected in custody and dealt with accordingly (as an illegal, vs. the "sanctuary" policy of catch and release, catch and release, catch and release, etc.).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 02:02 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,537,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
Ricky Martin: "Equality is understanding that we all come from the same place.
That makes absolutely no sense, Ricky. Try again. Maybe a dictionary would help.

Old 04-27-2010, 02:05 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,516,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I do get your point, but here's the thing - the majority of the state of AZ approved of this bill, including the legal Latino residents. If you polled the rest of the US, you would get similar results. Look at the poll in the PoC forum and you'll see similar results.

If "Vadge" herself crawled off her crucifix in opposition of the AZ law, how deeply would that impact the economy of AZ?

These boycott plans, and the wild speculations of those who are offended by this new law, are just a lot of pre-emptive hooey. Why not let the law do what it's supposed to, and if someone actually gets the "Gestapo" treatment and their civil rights are in fact violated, THEN go take to the streets with pitckforks and torches?

It has been reiterated time and again that this law is not written to harass folks because of their race - which is what those in opposition are constantly heralding. The law targets illegals, of which more than likely the majority are in fact from Mexico, given the fact that AZ borders Mexico. This seems like a no-brainer - if over 70% of illegals in AZ are Mexican, then by golly, there's going to be lots of Mexicans detected in custody and dealt with accordingly (as an illegal, vs. the "sanctuary" policy of catch and release, catch and release, catch and release, etc.).
Well that's the entire debate, the law is deemed by some as illegal search and unconstitutional. It also opens the door to racial profiling laws being enforced down the road.

This is all speculative as of now, because the law isn't even enforced yet. But it is the principle of the law that is in question.

Lastly I am aware of the many polls out there, but I doubt many of whom polled even read 1 line in the sb1070 bill.

Old 04-27-2010, 02:36 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,333,998 times
Quote:
Well that's the entire debate, the law is deemed by some as illegal search and unconstitutional. It also opens the door to racial profiling laws being enforced down the road.

This is all speculative as of now, because the law isn't even enforced yet. But it is the principle of the law that is in question.

Lastly I am aware of the many polls out there, but I doubt many of whom polled even read 1 line in the sb1070 bill.
Illegal search? What illegal search is being toted by this bill? In any law enforcement situation there is always that open door to racial profiling for those LE who aren't adhering to the law. But what are we to do? Dismantle every LE agency to prevent that? There may be an open door but one doesn't have to choose to enter it and don't complain until someone goes through that door.

Old 04-27-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote:
You are not seeing the big picture, these artists could lead to more. Let's say Madonna boycotts AZ? Alicia Keys? Insert<artist you like here>? Would that be big enough for you?
Big enough for what? Who cares what these radical, far left celebrities think anyway? The impact of illegal immigration isn't affecting them near as much as the rest of us anyway. They probably hire them to do their household chores.

Old 04-27-2010, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Celebrities actually do have a lot of influence though. They are always in the public eye and they can simply take tour locations off their calendar in Arizona. Recall the Superbowl Boycott of Arizona, all it takes is a few major events canceling, thus losing millions in tax revenue, to make a change.
Oh, I see we should take a money over morals approach in this country?

Old 04-27-2010, 02:55 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,465,996 times
Quote:

You're right - I'd venture that most of the ones who voted as being opposed to the law are the ones who didn't read the bill.

Old 04-27-2010, 03:00 PM

11,579 posts, read 13,965,920 times
Quote:
Every now and then you come across a post that really makes you laugh out loud. This is one of them.

Are you trying to tell us that a musician boycotting a particular state is important?

Old 04-27-2010, 03:36 PM

3,854 posts, read 4,840,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Every now and then you come across a post that really makes you laugh out loud. This is one of them.

Are you trying to tell us that a musician boycotting a particular state is important?
I dont really care who plays in Arizona, but if top acts stop comming to AZ, yes that does hurt the bottom line. Conventions and trade shows could choose Las Vegas over Mesa.

Music acts is just one possibility.

Old 04-27-2010, 04:32 PM

8,642 posts, read 10,176,219 times
Where will all the celebrities go for rehab if they take Arizona off of their calendars???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration