Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 11:23 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,772,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
So Texanborn, what is your point?

My point was I live in the Houston area and I do not recall ever hearing on the news here that making English the official language was part of what Framers Branch was trying to do..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2007, 11:30 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,366,020 times
The only bad thing I could see about making the landlords check to see if the people they are renting to are illegal is that wouldn't the illegals just get fake identification and rent anyway?

Fake IDs processing is huge in Chicagoland. Recently they just had a big high profile bust in little village neighborhood of a fake ID ring.

And in "illegal heavy" areas, it is a given that the person that signs the rent agreement is NOT the only person that is living there. They in turn charge rent and let anyone with $$ stay there. (Illegal sublet)

Old 05-16-2007, 12:38 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,950,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texanborn View Post
My point was I live in the Houston area and I do not recall ever hearing on the news here that making English the official language was part of what Framers Branch was trying to do..
Sorry, I didn't understand what you meant by the first post. Yes, that is part of what they want to do.

Old 05-16-2007, 12:40 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,950,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
The only bad thing I could see about making the landlords check to see if the people they are renting to are illegal is that wouldn't the illegals just get fake identification and rent anyway?

Fake IDs processing is huge in Chicagoland. Recently they just had a big high profile bust in little village neighborhood of a fake ID ring.

And in "illegal heavy" areas, it is a given that the person that signs the rent agreement is NOT the only person that is living there. They in turn charge rent and let anyone with $$ stay there. (Illegal sublet)
I think the idea in Farmers Branch is to make it tougher. It's certainly not a bulletproof law, but if illegals get the idea that they aren't welcome, they will probably move on to another area where they feel like they are welcomed more with open arms - which amounts to about all of the USA (sadly).

Old 05-16-2007, 01:32 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,192,873 times
I once heard someone say in Spanish (about a two bedroom 'single family' house) "The cost is $400 per family".

Old 05-16-2007, 02:14 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,410,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post

Then the towns need to start enforcing the zoning laws that likely already exist, and start limiting the number of people allowed to reside in a house. There are several towns that have begun doing this here in NJ, as it was getting ridiculous- they'd have 10, 15, 20 people living in a 2 br apartment, sleeping in shifts. The health department and zoning officers evicted the whole bunch, and condemned the building until the landlord cleaned it up. After a few rounds of this, they start to get the message.

And don't think the landlords are ignorant to what's going on- they know exactly what's happening, and are profiting from it as well (charging higher-than-normal rents for these dumps). It's time people started being help accountable for what they do- and hitting them in the pocketbook is usually a good start.

Bob

Old 05-16-2007, 03:37 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,366,020 times
Yes, you are probably right. I know someone who is involved in the construction trades and he has told me stories about building inspectors who have seen 2 and 3 flats filled wall to wall with baby crib mattresses that they rent out at $100 a month to an illegal.

It is a safety and fire code issue as much as anything!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration