Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 01:17 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,180,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
Classic line for the Arpaio groupies!
You don't want 'third world' people, but you want third world law enforcement?
Before you go slamming Arpaio's tactics: do us a favor and vent your rage against the Federales, etc.----------they are much, much worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 01:21 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,289,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Before you go slamming Arpaio's tactics: do us a favor and vent your rage against the Federales, etc.----------they are much, much worse.
Maybe, but I don't live in Mexico. So I'll vent against stuff that affects my own country, instead of constantly trying to direct attention to the faults of other countries. I'm not one of those people unwilling to acknowledge my country's own faults. Are you?

Old 04-04-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Maybe, but I don't live in Mexico. So I'll vent against stuff that affects my own country, instead of constantly trying to direct attention to the faults of other countries. I'm not one of those people unwilling to acknowledge my country's own faults. Are you?
I am well aware of this nations flaws-------------yet; till the recession and public outrage against illegal aliens reared their collective heads----------life here was still better for the above lawbreakers here than their homelands even at the hands of the Sheriff Joe's of the world.

Now: if this were 40-50 years ago when Judge Perez and Bull Connor held sway..........I would have been nervous and I am clearly an American of the 'correct' ethnicity of 1965 (although my birth name may have caused me grief in the Jim Crow South )

Old 04-05-2009, 09:02 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,446,753 times
Quote:
Honestly, comparing Federales to Joe Arpaio is nonsense, Most federales are educated, well manered, friendly and helpful, they don't abuse their power to abuse other people weaker than them who fall in their hands.

I've had encounters with Federales in two times, once that a friend's wallet was stolen, we stopped the car near the gas station because there was the last time we saw it, and we started to search for it in the bushes next to the highway from Puerto Escondido to Oaxaca, they stopped their car, asked us what we were doing there, we explained them, and they said they had to do a routinary search, they did and didn't find anything, and then they helped us search for the wallet until we found it, unfortunately the money on it was taken they were worried and told us that they felt bad for what happened, and asked us if we had enough money to go, we did and then they said goodbye.

The other time, a friend asked me to drive his car because he was tired, I was tired too and I wasn't accustomed to the car so I was driving a bit too slow, and someone complained about it, so the federales appeared, and they asked me to stop the car, I did and then they again told me they had to do a routinary search, and then told me that someone complained about my driving, they saw I was sober so they didn't require me to do the alcohol test, and then let me go, in both cases they were very respectful. Federales are among the least corrupt, best educated and more responsible cops in this country.

I also have to say that the first time I heard from Joe Arpaio, was before this whole immigration problem got the attention it gets now, it was while reading a magazine called MuyInteresante (very interesting) that had an article about him, and the tactics he used with his prisoners, in that time most of his prisioners were one time marijuana users and people who practiced prostitution. I found them disgusting, it doesn't matter the kind of crime commited, we are supposed to be better than criminals, and they deserve humane treatment imho, his tactics remind me of this.

The Stanford Prison Experiment

IMHO Arpaio is no better than a corrupt Mexican cop, but he has more power, someday his karma will get back at him.

Last edited by Travelling fella; 04-05-2009 at 09:15 PM..

Old 04-05-2009, 09:19 PM

Travellin Fella:

Either you were damn lucky or the Mx authorities do not mess with you for whatever the reason.

Why I say that I have heard way too many horror stories of otherwise innocent Americans being hassled by the police SoB.

Besides: even our US government has issued advisories for Americans to not travel to Mexico.

Old 04-05-2009, 09:24 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,446,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Travellin Fella:

Either you were damn lucky or the Mx authorities do not mess with you for whatever the reason.

Why I say that I have heard way too many horror stories of otherwise innocent Americans being hassled by the police SoB.

Besides: even our US government has issued advisories for Americans to not travel to Mexico.
I've had bad experiences with cops, but not federales, those are the pride of the mexican police, I've had problems with corrupt transit cops mostly who get angry because I don't give them bribes and ask for my fine instead.

Maybe those Americans who got hassled by them were hassled by Judiciales, or Protección y Vialidad (transit)

I was once hassled by an American cop too, it wasn't a pleasant experience.

Concerning the US government warnings, I believe those are an exaggeration, there is trouble in some border cities, but I go to Juarez regularly because of my job, and things are tough but only if you are involved in the cartel's business, or if you are a big and rich business owner, but for the average citizen things are safe, do you honestly believe I would still be living here if it was a living hell? I could legally immigrate to the US if I wanted, and I did it once for 6 months, missed my home and came back, it was a nice experience though.

I also have several friends from the USA, Germany, and other countries that got tired from their homelands and made Mexico their home, you should meet them sometime and ask them what they think about those warnings an American friend just traveled to the USA for 6 months to make enough money to buy an apartment and then marry his mexican fiance, he came here because he got way too disappointed with George W Bush that he wanted to move away for some time, then he fell in love with this country even though he admits that things with Obama are much better. And his case is not an isolated one, this country has the biggest American ex-pats communities in the entire world, not all of those ex-pats are here legally, if Mexico was that bad, as they want to paint it, what would be their business here?

One million Americans now live in Mexico, and 600,000 of that number are in Mexico City, according to research conducted by a university professor in Mexico. These new projections, substantially greater than what both the Mexican and U.S. Government agencies heretofore have suggested, appear to be nothing more than the byproduct of sloppy research. While the guessing game continues, Mexico has announced a national identity card program for foreign residents, and the creation of a database to track their whereabouts. The national identity card program may finally produce an the answer to the question, "How many Americans live in Mexico?"

How many Americans live in Mexico

Last edited by Travelling fella; 04-05-2009 at 09:41 PM..

Old 04-05-2009, 10:44 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,252,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
People shouldn't die at the hands of guards...People shouldn't have medication withheld...and so one

Should you die in jail because you failed to pay some parking tickets?

You don't want third world (illegals) people living in the US yet you want our police to act like third world dictators?

And by the way, no one ever said anything about Beer and Burgers...
Never met or heard of anyone in jail for just unpaid parking tickets.
We are talking about jail and it should be a place of punishment. I watched the 60 mins piece on joe's jail and was absolutely thrilled with the approach. Criminals chose to live outside of the law. They chose to victimize others and care little about who they harm.
Sorry I am fresh out of compassion for those who had none for their victims. Sorry wearing pink clothes and living in a tent isn't at all harmful. eating bolona sandwiches likewise is not harmful. Lack of airconditioning? Too bad too sad. Don't break the law. As far as any illegals in Joes prison? Better there than free to cheat our country even more.

Old 04-05-2009, 11:28 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,616,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Never met or heard of anyone in jail for just unpaid parking tickets.
We are talking about jail and it should be a place of punishment. I watched the 60 mins piece on joe's jail and was absolutely thrilled with the approach. Criminals chose to live outside of the law. They chose to victimize others and care little about who they harm.
Sorry I am fresh out of compassion for those who had none for their victims. Sorry wearing pink clothes and living in a tent isn't at all harmful. eating bolona sandwiches likewise is not harmful. Lack of airconditioning? Too bad too sad. Don't break the law. As far as any illegals in Joes prison? Better there than free to cheat our country even more.
Once again you fail to understand the point...No one should die at the hands of the Guards (minus the obvious reasons).

The 2nd point you fail at is that this is a county jail...not a prison...The more violent offenders move on to the prison system.

And yes...you can and will go to jail for unpaid tickets.

Old 04-06-2009, 05:52 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,252,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
Honestly, comparing Federales to Joe Arpaio is nonsense, Most federales are educated, well manered, friendly and helpful, they don't abuse their power to abuse other people weaker than them who fall in their hands.

I've had encounters with Federales in two times, once that a friend's wallet was stolen, we stopped the car near the gas station because there was the last time we saw it, and we started to search for it in the bushes next to the highway from Puerto Escondido to Oaxaca, they stopped their car, asked us what we were doing there, we explained them, and they said they had to do a routinary search, they did and didn't find anything, and then they helped us search for the wallet until we found it, unfortunately the money on it was taken they were worried and told us that they felt bad for what happened, and asked us if we had enough money to go, we did and then they said goodbye.

The other time, a friend asked me to drive his car because he was tired, I was tired too and I wasn't accustomed to the car so I was driving a bit too slow, and someone complained about it, so the federales appeared, and they asked me to stop the car, I did and then they again told me they had to do a routinary search, and then told me that someone complained about my driving, they saw I was sober so they didn't require me to do the alcohol test, and then let me go, in both cases they were very respectful. Federales are among the least corrupt, best educated and more responsible cops in this country.

I also have to say that the first time I heard from Joe Arpaio, was before this whole immigration problem got the attention it gets now, it was while reading a magazine called MuyInteresante (very interesting) that had an article about him, and the tactics he used with his prisoners, in that time most of his prisioners were one time marijuana users and people who practiced prostitution. I found them disgusting, it doesn't matter the kind of crime commited, we are supposed to be better than criminals, and they deserve humane treatment imho, his tactics remind me of this.

The Stanford Prison Experiment

IMHO Arpaio is no better than a corrupt Mexican cop, but he has more power, someday his karma will get back at him.
Perhaps you should read rolling stone magazines article on the federales...
It is not a flattering testimony.The Making of a Narco State : Rolling Stone (http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story/26435119/the_making_of_a_narco_state - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration