Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 03:09 PM

4,829 posts, read 7,749,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
As a result, even serious criminal investigations began to suffer, the Tribune reported. In El Mirage, for instance, sheriff's detectives did little or no investigation into at least 30 violent crime cases, including a dozen reported sexual assaults, during 2006 and 2007. The lack of significant work on those cases prompted the sheriff's office to open an internal affairs investigation.
Residents pay price for Arpaio's immigration focus
I guess it's better to go after day laborers than to arrest the real criminals out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 03:28 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
If Arpaio's raids are terrifying the illegals into fleeing Arizona-------I deem them to be a success.

Old 07-12-2008, 03:34 PM

608 posts, read 1,005,112 times
Quote:
"If the local police are doing federal law enforcement, other law enforcement responsibilities get a lower priority by default."
Very sad.

Old 07-12-2008, 03:38 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
If Arpaio's raids are terrifying the illegals into fleeing Arizona-------I deem them to be a success.
Even if it at the cost of leaving a few rural residence dead or badly injured?

You think that a good tradeoff?

Old 07-12-2008, 03:56 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Even if it at the cost of leaving a few rural residence dead or badly injured?

You think that a good tradeoff?
Better that than more and more of our police officers getting murdered by illegals--------three (3) along in just the city of Phx.

Besides: the illegals are becoming more desperate with their sources of income being cut off between employer sanctions and the crashing economy here.

I live in Maricopa County and I can see the changes.

Old 07-12-2008, 04:23 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,647,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Residents pay price for Arpaio's immigration focus
I guess it's better to go after day laborers than to arrest the real criminals out there.
Quote:
Arpaio and top sheriff's officials acknowledge the lagging emergency response times and a swelling caseload but deny that immigration enforcement is to blame. And they argue that arresting illegal immigrants is central to their operations because that's what county residents want.
"The people agree with what I'm doing, a very high percentage," Arpaio says. "So I do know I'm doing the right thing for the people I serve. That's what I'm supposed to be doing, serving the people."
Quote from link provided above.
Sounds to me like this is one law enforcement officer who still knows he is a servant of the people.

Quote:
The sheriff's office has said that other factors also led to soaring overtime spending, including other extensive investigations (including one into a purported death threat against Arpaio), increasing case loads and a shortage of deputies.
The change in priorities has come with a big price for rural residents who rely on the sheriff for protection.
Deputies patrol a jurisdiction larger than the state of New Jersey, with thousands of residents who can live miles apart. Most Phoenix-area cities have their own police departments, leaving the sheriff to run the jails and patrol outlying rural areas, towns and contract cities. Staffing is a problem because deputies often leave for higher-paying departments elsewhere.
Seems it may have been rather misleading to only show that small piece of the article when this thread began. Seems there are many reasons response times have slowed down, everything from death threats to decreased staff. Not to mention the area these guys have to cover. I live in an area where they are not cracking down at all and it still takes 10 to 20 minutes for officers to show up at my house. I bet if you can find the number of officers that work for that sheriff's department, it will explain a lot. Only so much ground can be covered by police at any given time, and anytime you call the police it feels like an eternity before they arrive. Hence the saying,"There's never one around when you need them!" But seriously, I think this is just another paltry attempt by the media to create a bad image over efforts to stop illegal immigration. If it stops, so does the cheap labor. And another thing, a lot of people seem to have this opinion that if businesses are forced to hire Americans at higher wages then prices will go up. That does not have to be so. Corporations are already making money hand over fist off of us now. It is time for the corporations to take a step back for once instead of squeezing us even harder. Most could give up 30 to 50% of their profits and still be making big money. But the rich aren't satisfied with making some profit, they want massive profits. Thus the constant price hikes continue. Don't buy into the hype folks, they are playing us all for fools!!!

Old 07-12-2008, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Arpaio and top sheriff's officials acknowledge the lagging emergency response times and a swelling caseload but deny that immigration enforcement is to blame. And they argue that arresting illegal immigrants is central to their operations because that's what county residents want.
"The people agree with what I'm doing, a very high percentage," Arpaio says. "So I do know I'm doing the right thing for the people I serve. That's what I'm supposed to be doing, serving the people."
Sounds to me like this is one law enforcement officer who still knows he is a servant of the people.

The sheriff's office has said that other factors also led to soaring overtime spending, including other extensive investigations (including one into a purported death threat against Arpaio), increasing case loads and a shortage of deputies.
The change in priorities has come with a big price for rural residents who rely on the sheriff for protection.
Deputies patrol a jurisdiction larger than the state of New Jersey, with thousands of residents who can live miles apart. Most Phoenix-area cities have their own police departments, leaving the sheriff to run the jails and patrol outlying rural areas, towns and contract cities. Staffing is a problem because deputies often leave for higher-paying departments elsewhere.
Seems it may have been rather misleading to only show that small piece of the article when this thread began. Seems there are many reasons response times have slowed down, everything from death threats to decreased staff. Not to mention the area these guys have to cover. I live in an area where they are not cracking down at all and it still takes 10 to 20 minutes for officers to show up at my house. I bet if you can find the number of officers that work for that sheriff's department, it will explain a lot. Only so much ground can be covered by police at any given time, and anytime you call the police it feels like an eternity before they arrive. Hence the saying,"There's never one around when you need them!" But seriously, I think this is just another paltry attempt by the media to create a bad image over efforts to stop illegal immigration. If it stops, so does the cheap labor. And another thing, a lot of people seem to have this opinion that if businesses are forced to hire Americans at higher wages then prices will go up. That does not have to be so. Corporations are already making money hand over fist off of us now. It is time for the corporations to take a step back for once instead of squeezing us even harder. Most could give up 30 to 50% of their profits and still be making big money. But the rich aren't satisfied with making some profit, they want massive profits. Thus the constant price hikes continue. Don't buy into the hype folks, they are playing us all for fools!!!

[RIGHT]
[/RIGHT]
Of course arpaio is going to deny it, what do you expect?

Btw, what is misleading about what i posted when the whole article is basically about arpaio ignoring other crimes to focus on immigration enforcement

Old 07-12-2008, 04:33 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,647,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Of course arpaio is going to deny it, what do you expect?

Btw, what is misleading about what i posted when the whole article is basically about arpaio ignoring other crimes to focus on immigration enforcement
Yeah, I was having trouble with my mouse when I copied all that mess. I was just trying to get bits and pieces so my post wouldn't be so large. And the [right][right] at the bottom wasn't intentional either. Didn't want you to think I was trying to antagonize you or anything. My revised post better shows what I was trying to get at. And as far as it being misleading, the whole article is not simply about that matter. Many things are mentioned in the article that help guide the story past a simple assault on the department's slow arrival times. That is what I meant by misleading.

Old 07-12-2008, 04:35 PM

608 posts, read 1,005,112 times
Quote:

[RIGHT]
[/RIGHT]
Exactly, people only like to cut and paste pieces of articles to support their argument. Let's get the whole picture... you forgot....
Quote:
Arpaio's director of media relations, Lisa Allen, said response times are up because calls for service have increased dramatically. But the sheriff's own numbers show the office got about 700 fewer calls in 2007 than it did the year before.

Old 07-12-2008, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I was having trouble with my mouse when I copied all that mess. I was just trying to get bits and pieces so my post wouldn't be so large. And the [Right][Right] at the bottom wasn't intentional either. Didn't want you to think I was trying to antagonize you or anything. My revised post better shows what I was trying to get at. And as far as it being misleading, the whole article is not simply about that matter. Many things are mentioned in the article that help guide the story past a simple assault on the department's slow arrival times. That is what I meant by misleading.
The title of the article says it all, i rest my case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration