Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 09:27 AM

4,802 posts, read 8,787,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishing View Post
I'll admit, even though we usually have different points of view, I like your sense of humor. I DO support a secure southern border but I can't say that I'm for the destruction of Mexican culture outside of the current US border (Besides, It's too complicated to carry out that plan anyway.) It's nice to see someone willing to disagree yet be civil about it. (I;m still kinda new here and this isn't something I've seen on this forum often.)
I have to agree with you.

All I want, all I've ever asked for is that our government protect and respect those who put them in office--the American citizens. I want our current immigration laws enforced (they are quite adequate if implemented) our borders secured and lawbreakers sent home. That isn't too much to ask from one's government.

At the same time, I take issue with many who wish to make this a cultural issue. While varying cultural ideals are involved in the evolution of the problem of illegal immigration, they are not the sum and total of the problem. It is not the inadequacy of any culture which contributes to this problem. To assume that anyone's culture is inferior to our own smacks of ethnocentrism and although I will be the first to admit that I do not understand the mechanics of various cultures, I try not to be judgemental unless said mechanics involve child abuse, blatant misogyny, or genocide.

Cultural enrichment by legal immigrants is a part of what makes America the phenomenon that it is--what other country has achieved the heights we've reached after a mere 200 years of existence? At the same time, part of the greatness of this country is the fact that in the history of America the law has been the cornerstone of the foundational beliefs in this country and our ability to evolve and change those laws for the betterment of ALL people through reasoning sets us apart from many other countries. When the populace, legal or illegal, is allowed to pick and choose the laws that it will and will not obey at will, anarchy must become the eventual outcome.

No one should advocate the destruction of another's culture--especially if that culture is contained within its own borders (above mechanics not withstanding). I daresay that there are very few people on this forum who are advocating the destruction of Mexican culture (or any other culture) within that country's own borders, nor should the contributions that legal Mexican immigrants (as well as Irish, Norwegian, German, Ethiopian, Asian, etc.) have made to this country be discounted or disregarded.

My contention with this issue is multifaceted, but my biggest concern is the lack of respect for American law and American sovereignty which is flagrant among illegal immigrants and their supporters. The enormous amount of justification and apologist behavior for illegal immigration that I see on this board as well as in this country is absolutely appalling and therein lies the heart of the controvery for me.

Last edited by Kele; 09-28-2008 at 10:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 10:11 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,325,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chey2u View Post
assume, assume, assume, I do not support illegalism just humanitarianism
As do I. That is for US citizens and legal residents first and always. Illegals need not apply and we really don't owe any other country a dime in aid.

Old 09-28-2008, 10:36 AM

24,908 posts, read 39,425,448 times
Quote:
assume, assume, assume, I do not support illegalism just humanitarianism
We deport those in this country by humanitarian means.

Old 09-28-2008, 02:00 PM

391 posts, read 876,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Unless I missed the post, catfishing did not enter this forum spewing insults at individual members -- unlike certain newbies whose trollish behavior was intended only to inflame and disrupt this forum. Bianca.G comes to mind (may she RIP until her reincarnation).

Catfishing merely stated opinions which differed from the pro-illegal sentiment. Consequently, he/she was attacked in normal self-righteous pro-illegal fashion. We are ALL entitled to our opinion. However, there’s a difference between a legitimate debate, and blatant harassment and disrespect.
which is exactly what you and others did to me. I have been called and accused of many things by many of you when it was MO which I was stating and where I have only stated I want humanitarianism. Read what you want into that but that does not make me a troll, retarted, or an illegal alien not to mention the pages of being called one of 3 others. Who actually I am proud to know. We are all allowed our PO but many go on the gang mentality and start bashing. This discussing group is suppose to be where we share opinions and thoughts not call out names and ridicule for dumb things like spelling and grammar. None of us even really know who sits behind these keyboards, what has happened in their life or what they are going through now. I see many have left the board from both sides and some really needed to go, but we should act alot more mature than we have on this forum.

Old 09-28-2008, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Another example of the growing desperation of the pro illegal crowd...........machismo covering up fear IMHO.

When you say IMHO I have to tell you it makes me chuckle. Kind of reminds me of something my own father would have said. We are on opposite sides of the fence as we both know but I still get a chuckle from some of you responses. At least you do not seem to attack me anymore so I can read your post and actually think of what you are saying.

Old 09-28-2008, 02:13 PM

Quote:
You call it cultural genocide when the majority culture demands that (legal) immigrants assimilate into US society----------which is a slap in the face of those folks who were murdered in pogroms. The Jews during WW II come to mind.
These are things our nation should never forget nor ever allow anyone in the world to reinact them. This is the worst of the worst that I ever learned. Still breaks my heart that people suffered like that and that there are even a few still alive to tell about it. YUCK

Old 09-28-2008, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
I have to agree with you.

All I want, all I've ever asked for is that our government protect and respect those who put them in office--the American citizens. I want our current immigration laws enforced (they are quite adequate if implemented) our borders secured and lawbreakers sent home. That isn't too much to ask from one's government.

At the same time, I take issue with many who wish to make this a cultural issue. While varying cultural ideals are involved in the evolution of the problem of illegal immigration, they are not the sum and total of the problem. It is not the inadequacy of any culture which contributes to this problem. To assume that anyone's culture is inferior to our own smacks of ethnocentrism and although I will be the first to admit that I do not understand the mechanics of various cultures, I try not to be judgemental unless said mechanics involve child abuse, blatant misogyny, or genocide.

Cultural enrichment by legal immigrants is a part of what makes America the phenomenon that it is--what other country has achieved the heights we've reached after a mere 200 years of existence? At the same time, part of the greatness of this country is the fact that in the history of America the law has been the cornerstone of the foundational beliefs in this country and our ability to evolve and change those laws for the betterment of ALL people through reasoning sets us apart from many other countries. When the populace, legal or illegal, is allowed to pick and choose the laws that it will and will not obey at will, anarchy must become the eventual outcome.

No one should advocate the destruction of another's culture--especially if that culture is contained within its own borders (above mechanics not withstanding). I daresay that there are very few people on this forum who are advocating the destruction of Mexican culture (or any other culture) within that country's own borders, nor should the contributions that legal Mexican immigrants (as well as Irish, Norwegian, German, Ethiopian, Asian, etc.) have made to this country be discounted or disregarded.

My contention with this issue is multifaceted, but my biggest concern is the lack of respect for American law and American sovereignty which is flagrant among illegal immigrants and their supporters. The enormous amount of justification and apologist behavior for illegal immigration that I see on this board as well as in this country is absolutely appalling and therein lies the heart of the controvery for me.

I agree with much of your post. Don't faint from shock or anything. I do wish our gov't would step up. They ( our Gov't)have done alot of damage especially in the last 8 years. They really are not as concerned about the border issue as you would hope. They need to look good ya know. I completely agree that our immigrants have made America a wonderful melting pot. Where else can you go and have a bit of ever culture at your finger tips? Whatever we do I just pray we do humanely.

Old 09-28-2008, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
We deport those in this country by humanitarian means.

Not always, I have been told otherwise

Old 09-28-2008, 02:55 PM

21,116 posts, read 42,327,021 times
Quote:
Not always, I have been told otherwise
Better our Border Patrol vs. the Mexican version----------------apparently Guatemalans tend to 'disappear' if caught illegally in Mexico.

Old 09-28-2008, 03:06 PM

582 posts, read 2,046,560 times
Quote:
Better our Border Patrol vs. the Mexican version----------------apparently Guatemalans tend to 'disappear' if caught illegally in Mexico.
Apparently Some Italians join organized crime groups But that's okay the sauce is good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration