Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 05:10 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,407,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
You actually go around asking strangers, "What are you?"
I'd love to answer that question, but I don't want to banned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 05:12 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,925,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
As strange as it might sound to you, every time I ask someone "What are you?" They might respond, "Oh I'm German and french, I'm Irish and Italian, I'm Puerto Rican and Columbian, I'm Mexican and White"
Sorry, I don't believe you.

Old 07-29-2008, 05:43 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,156,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
Sorry, I don't believe you.
That's probably because your in Tehran. Anyone who's in Iran is going to tell your they're Persian or something.

Old 07-29-2008, 05:53 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,476,865 times
Quote:
As strange as it might sound to you, every time I ask someone "What are you?" They might respond, "Oh I'm German and french, I'm Irish and Italian, I'm Puerto Rican and Columbian, I'm Mexican and White"
OK, I think I misunderstood part of your post. I apologize.
I can see that if you are having a conversation with someone and the subject of their ethnic heritage comes up (maybe they bought a new food to the company picnic or are observing a holiday you are not familiar with), it would be reasonable to ask what their background is (the "What are you?"). They would then reply they are Croatian or Cambodian or Swedish or whatever. Meaning they are of Croatian ancestry, not that they are an actual citizen of Croatia. Or that they are claiming Croatia as their home country even though they live in the US.

Prison Guard: Kaczynski, that is an unusual name.
Unabomber: I'm Polish

Old 07-29-2008, 05:56 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,156,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
OK, I think I misunderstood part of your post. I apologize.
I can see that if you are having a conversation with someone and the subject of their ethnic heritage comes up (maybe they bought a new food to the company picnic or are observing a holiday you are not familiar with), it would be reasonable to ask what their background is (the "What are you?"). They would then reply they are Croatian or Cambodian or Swedish or whatever. Meaning they are of Croatian ancestry, not that they are an actual citizen of Croatia. Or that they are claiming Croatia as their home country even though they live in the US.

Prison Guard: Kaczynski, that is an unusual name.
Unabomber: I'm Polish
Thing is, people have told me their heritage was "American", because they did not know where their ancestors were from. Although they were the minority in their response.

Oh yea, and yes, I've gone around asking people what they were

Old 07-29-2008, 06:27 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,558,654 times
Quote:
Thing is, people have told me their heritage was "American", because they did not know where their ancestors were from. Although they were the minority in their response.

Were these people adopted and had no knowledge of their background? Otherwise, who doesn't know their ancestors? I may not know the country of origin of some of my ancestors, but I certainly know the continent.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:33 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,915,317 times
Quote:
I think that's a bit of an exaggerated headline. The video simply outlines that illegals are going back to Mexico due to our economy. I see that illegal immigrant speaks English.. lol.

I disagree. The Mexican Government does not want to see this "reverse invasion" because it means they will have to support those who cannot support themselves via the Mexican economy. They want to continue to export their poorest and uneducated to this country and receive remittances to the tune of billions of dollars.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:37 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,126,537 times
For whatever it is worth:

Without exception: no one ever guessed my true ancestral background till they saw my birth name.

I do not look like a stereotypical Hungarian.

Now for ironic: the Hungarian politician, Antonio de Blasio, despite his obviously Italian/Spanish sounding name was born/raised in Hungary.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:33 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,684,110 times
Quote:
I have never heard anyone try to claim that many citizenships. A Mexican is someone patriotic to the country of Mexico, usually a citizen of that country. If you wish to refer to yourself as a Mexican then obviously people will associate you with that nation.

I think I'll go ask the agents at the ports of entry, when they ask people coming over, if they list all those nationalities, or if they just say "American".
I never say I'm from a country I'm not from, I'm American.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:38 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,684,110 times
Quote:

Most of us who do that aren't all that into where some distant ancestor is from, and most of us wouldn't be devastated if we found out they really got on some ship in some other port, for example if we thought great great great grandma came from Poland but came to find out it was really Germany -- big deal.

Most of us don't think we ourselves have any real connection with those countries, most of us don't even choose those as our first countries we'd like to visit someday. We just don't lay awake at night pondering our great allegience to some foreign nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration