Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 06:50 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,573,570 times

Advertisements

I have no respect for the unscrupulous employers of illegal aliens. I also do not believe in denying workers wages they have earned. However, when one is involved in illegal activity, being swindled and other unfortunate scenarios, is basically par for the course. Unethical conduct can be expected from unethical people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 10:01 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,488,067 times
Just because one is doing something illegal does not mean that they have no rights. For example, you are driving 45mph on a four lane street where the speed limit is 40mph. As you pass through an intersection, with the light green in your favor, someone runs through the red light and hits you. Your car is totaled, you have several broken bones, and a you spilled your coffee. The fact that you were speeding does not mean you surrender your legal rights. It may compromise and limit them, but not eliminate them, yes?

Old 07-08-2008, 10:57 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,595,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I have no respect for the unscrupulous employers of illegal aliens. I also do not believe in denying workers wages they have earned. However, when one is involved in illegal activity, being swindled and other unfortunate scenarios, is basically par for the course. Unethical conduct can be expected from unethical people.
I agree with Benicar completely, and would like to add that illegal employers deserve the harshest possible punishment for hiring illegal workers. $50K fine per illegal employee on a first offense, DOUBLED on a second AND add 6 months of jail time per illegal. Get caught a third time and lose your business lock, stock and barrel.

Old 07-09-2008, 04:33 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,678,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Just because one is doing something illegal does not mean that they have no rights. For example, you are driving 45mph on a four lane street where the speed limit is 40mph. As you pass through an intersection, with the light green in your favor, someone runs through the red light and hits you. Your car is totaled, you have several broken bones, and a you spilled your coffee. The fact that you were speeding does not mean you surrender your legal rights. It may compromise and limit them, but not eliminate them, yes?
You're right. Just because you aren't a legal resident of the United States doesn't mean that you can't sue in contract here if you are hired and never paid. An American could do the same thing in Mexico.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:32 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,643,285 times
Illegality only kills a contracts if the illegality takes place within the contractual terms - for instance, two people form a contract to exchange money for the assassination of a public official. The substance of the contract itself is illegal, and the contract is not recognized by the law under what is called a "malum in se" ('intrinsic evil') doctrine. If the assassination was carried out, the assassin can't sue for nonpayment, because the law never recognized a contract to begin with.

A labor contract is not going to fall under these provisions. You have to remember that the legal status of the person you contract with is not an argument that can be used to either argue that no contract was formed, or that the contract was formed, but should be voided. The activity contracted for (labor) is not itself illegal, unlike prostitution or receipt of stolen goods, or anything like that. In fact, even if you had the laborer deported, he could technically sue you through a lawyer from Mexico, and obtain a court judgment against you. There is nothing in American contract law which makes court interpretation of contracts contingent on immigration status.

A related example would be child labor. Let's say you contract with an underaged minor to manufacture apparel in your factory. That's illegal, obviously. And in fact, the illegality kills the contract. BUT, the law makes sure that the child laborer can still sue you for the market value of that labor. The illegality does not discharge your financial obligations.

Old 07-10-2008, 04:17 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,678,111 times
True. ^^

Old 07-10-2008, 07:34 PM

559 posts, read 1,357,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
I only read part of the article, but it appears that the Day Laborer can sue the employer for being "abused."

I'm all for it. Once these scandals (employers) realize that they can no longer import slave labor perhaps this whole fiasco will end.

Doesn't anyone else against illegal immigration agree with me that these employers are exploiting these people, as well as American citizens?

I'm curious to hear your responses.

IMO, the employers are the main reason this problem exist. The dangling carrot, so to speak.
I agree with you.........it is modern day slave labor. No one can ever take away how hard some of these illegals work..........

Old 07-10-2008, 10:01 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,756,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Even a prostitute can file rape charges, I suppose.....
wow, horrible choice of metaphor.

Old 07-11-2008, 12:19 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,564,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
wow, horrible choice of metaphor.
A little strong, on hindsight. I was trying to point out that no one is legally entitled to victimize a lawbreaker. Insensitive, perhaps.....give me a 'minus ten'...

Old 07-11-2008, 01:44 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,385,824 times
Anybody should be entitled to be paid wages that are owed to them, regardless of their citizenship/immigration status. You'd be breaking all kinds of accounting principles if this wasn't the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration