Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 08:57 PM

219 posts, read 426,814 times

Advertisements

LOL, ArizonaBear, I would love for the mormons in this state to read what you just wrote, they would probably keel over. It's just the attitude they have, it would be a real shocker for them. BTW, my husband looks white but has dark hair because of his mother. So most think he is mexican.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 09:11 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,621,989 times
Thanks, everyone, for the kind remarks....

Old 06-12-2008, 09:15 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,621,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
To the Utah crowd: many of the Mormons of 50-100 years ago were actually 'Mexican'------they were born/raised in Chihuahua, etc. but had no indigenous heritage.
George Romney (who once ran for President, and is the father of "Mitt") is one such person....born into a colony of Mormons in Chihuahua, who had earlier moved from the US....

Old 06-12-2008, 10:05 PM

21,116 posts, read 42,327,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I couldn’t agree more! While I'm a staunch opponent of illegal immigration, I am by no means anti-Hispanic. It’s disconcerting to be remotely aligned with racists; in particular, groups I abhor such as the KKK.

An unfortunate upshot of this issue is the ‘assumption’ that all Hispanics are illegal. I can certainly relate to your family’s dilemma due to my son’s very ‘Latino’ appearance. Fortunately, he has become adept at discounting ignorance.
You mentioned that your son's father was from Argentina; I would assume that he was 'White' (97% of all people from that country are of Euro heritage)......

Although; I knew a Black/White couple, the father was White and the mom looked almost 'Nigerian'.......their one son could pass for a stereotypical Mestizo (olive skin tone and straight black hair) whereas the other boy had a blond Afro.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:08 PM

21,116 posts, read 42,327,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
George Romney (who once ran for President, and is the father of "Mitt") is one such person....born into a colony of Mormons in Chihuahua, who had earlier moved from the US....
And; the fact that George's parents were residents of Mexico may have 'disallowed' the man for running for US President. Had the parents been US residents visiting Mexico, Gorge's place of birth would not have been an issue.

Strictly speaking, he was a Mexican-----under both US and Mx law.

BTW: I met a couple from Mexico who were stereotypical Mestizos-----and, members of the LDS as well

Old 06-12-2008, 10:16 PM

219 posts, read 426,814 times
There are a lot of Hispanics that are members of the church. Though I was raised that way I do not attend church and kinda have a bad taste in my mouth for the whole thing. This is just my opinion, but I think the church caters to the illegal aliens and actually brings them here and provides for them. One of the reasons I cannot stand them, it is not ok to pretend you are doing something humane and break the law.
Anyway, sorry to bring that up, I know that is a whole different thread/forum

Old 06-13-2008, 07:25 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,506,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabluey View Post
The answer, to defend legal immigration, is not to brush this off as this post appears to suggest. It is not to tell both candidates to ignore the Latino vote because it's inconsequential (this is wrong because it will be CRUCIAL to victory).
On what basis is this statement made?

Old 06-13-2008, 07:50 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,506,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabluey View Post
I get what you're saying. But there are those who then use what you say as an excuse to throw restraint to the wind and say some stupid and embarrassing things that discredit the movement.

I guess what I want is: "Don't say anything stupid or xenophobic! Don't throw personal attacks! Stick to the laws, rules, and the breaking of them and throw in appreciation and admiration for legals!" Add legals' standing up for the process they sacrificed for, and I think it's a better strategy than what the media is portraying now. And that gets into the media bias. But I just don't think the "false conservatives" or so-called "cultural conservatives" have shown an ability to look past their emotions.

I think we both want the same thing. I predict if we let cultural conservatives guide the argument against illegal immigration, too much expressed negative emotion against illegal immigration (i.e. this is MY country, that kind of bs, where "my" is interpreted as "white" and we all know that's how it's interpreted, we can predict it, and no matter how much we can claim or even prove it isn't, the mere prediction that that is how it will be interpreted should be enough for smart defenders of legal immigration to refrain from resorting to that justification for the cause).

I don't want blanket amnesty for illegal immigrants. I REALLY, REALLY DON'T. There are just some (actually many), whom I just want to shut the eff up. They're effing it up for legal immigrants. Please, we all know who these people are. They are our neighbors, and maybe they're well-meaning. If you want to defend the institution of immigration, the legal process. If you want to show appreciation for the millions who recognize what this nation stands for, and sacrifice to respect it, and create value in citizenship.

Tell those idiots who resort to diatribes, rhetoric, xenophobia to shut up. The "white person afraid of losing his country, or his impression of 50s American utopia" perspectives are illegal immigrants' greatest PR ally. And I know they're not the majority. But they are vocal. And we have to consciously, deliberately minimize and counterbalance their effect on this election.

And then add in the legal immigrants' voices. Do that, and I think we have a great chance to affect both candidates.
Not to be curious or anything, but what DO you want?

Old 06-13-2008, 08:26 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,658,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
You mentioned that your son's father was from Argentina; I would assume that he was 'White' (97% of all people from that country are of Euro heritage)......

Although; I knew a Black/White couple, the father was White and the mom looked almost 'Nigerian'.......their one son could pass for a stereotypical Mestizo (olive skin tone and straight black hair) whereas the other boy had a blond Afro.
Your assumption is correct…..w/ sandy hair and gray eyes. My son is fair-skinned, with straight black hair and dark brown eyes; definitely has a ‘Latin’ flair. I find it interesting that my ex has never been broached with the question of my son’s heritage when they are together. People simply assume my son has a “nice tan.” Conversely, I often receive ‘inquiring’ looks, as though they are trying to determine ‘what’ his father is. It’s really never been much of an issue around black people; given the fact that we come in a variety of skin shades and hair textures.

On the other hand; I am your ‘typical’ light brown ‘black’ person; the result of a fair-skinned (half white) mother, and a dark-skinned father. Frequently, when I’m with my mom and my son, Hispanics will ‘assume’ they are Hispanic, and have no problem approaching them with Spanish. It somewhat annoys my mom, who speaks no Spanish; but my son is bilingual and simply takes it in stride. After all, ‘technically,’ he is Latino….well half.

Old 06-13-2008, 09:13 AM

1,448 posts, read 3,119,919 times
Quote:
Frequently, when I’m with my mom and my son, Hispanics will ‘assume’ they are Hispanic, and have no problem approaching them with Spanish. It somewhat annoys my mom, who speaks no Spanish; but my son is bilingual and simply takes it in stride. After all, ‘technically,’ he is Latino….well half.
I would find that disrespectful to assume if someone looked Hispanic they automatically are supposed to speak spanish. Many Hispanic Americans are not bilingual and only speak english. English should be all the primary languge of all Americans. Why is that so hard to understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration