Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 10:34 AM

7,025 posts, read 11,417,488 times

Advertisements

As a candidate, Obama heavily courted the Latino vote, in part by speaking at several large gatherings last summer, including the National Council of La Raza conference in San Diego.

Obama struck all the right notes for Latinos during those speeches, promising to curtail the despised immigration raids. Now they will look for him to deliver on those promises.

In North County, where anti-illegal immigrant sentiment is seen by some as spilling over into Latino hatred, some pointed to Obama's election as a beacon of hope that the rhetoric might soon subside.

"I think (the Obama presidency) could represent a shift in the country, of hope for the future, of a government that is more intelligent and more analytical," said Bill Flores, an Escondido resident and former assistant sheriff who has been active with El Grupo, an umbrella group of civil rights organizations.

Some Latinos say that immigration reform, including legalizing millions of illegal immigrants, may be the biggest litmus test for the Obama administration, aside from righting the country's economic outlook. But it is not the only one.

Contact staff writer Edward Sifuentes at (760) 740-3511 or esifuentes@nctimes.com.

NC TIMES (http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2009/01/16/news/sandiego/z3d5ed32b073260cb8825753f007bdf03.txt - broken link)

Well, said latinos need to get over their selfish race based expectations. Obama's hispandering in exchange for their votes does not guarantee amnesty for their illegal alien friends and family members. Largest minority or not, they are not the largest population of Americans nor the majority voice in terms of what America wants and needs to do about illegal aliens.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:53 AM

1,636 posts, read 3,288,292 times
Latinos aren't a race.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:10 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,158,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
Latinos aren't a race.
You and that and I know that yet many Hispanics do perceive themselves as a race----------never mind that quite a few of them look down on American Indians for being 'indigenous'.

I dated a very attractive Latina some years ago who was obviously Mestizo: she was quite proud of her White Spanish bloodlines yet scowled when I reminded her of being in part Aztec or similar heritage. She had that golden skin tone of one.

Never mind that she tried to hide behind some 'Aztlan' nonsense when I reminded her of being Mestizo. Hypocrite she was.

What really struck me was she of so damn proud of her one grandson who could not pass for Latino at all---------he was blue eyed blond haired White in appearance.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:34 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,575,861 times
Quote:
Latinos aren't a race.
That's what we've been saying ad nauseam. Yet, the 'race card' continues to be played. But then, you know that.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
You and that and I know that yet many Hispanics do perceive themselves as a race----------never mind that quite a few of them look down on American Indians for being 'indigenous'.

I dated a very attractive Latina some years ago who was obviously Mestizo: she was quite proud of her White Spanish bloodlines yet scowled when I reminded her of being in part Aztec or similar heritage. She had that golden skin tone of one.

Never mind that she tried to hide behind some 'Aztlan' nonsense when I reminded her of being Mestizo. Hypocrite she was.

OWhat really struck me was she of so damn proud of her one grandson who could not pass for Latino at all---------he was blue eyed blond haired White in appearance.
Oh cool. Another one person example that may or not be real/exaggerated.
Where do you meet these people, Bear
Its amazing that every latino you claim to know hold these kinds of viewpoints that go with your theories, yet I never come across them, and every latino on here.who isn't obsessed with illegal immigrants say they haven't either.....

Old 01-17-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Oh cool. Another one person example that may or not be real/exaggerated.
Where do you meet these people, Bear
Its amazing that every latino you claim to know hold these kinds of viewpoints that go with your theories, yet I never come across them, and every latino on here.who isn't obsessed with illegal immigrants say they haven't either.....
I stand by what I have seen/witnessed.................

Next!

Old 01-17-2009, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I stand by what I have seen/witnessed.................

Next!
Me too.
I stand by what I see/witness/live/am related to/am immersed in.

Old 01-17-2009, 02:17 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,648,053 times
Obama's stance on the agreement shows his lack of understanding of Latin American issues, and of Mexico in particular, Lowery Contreras said. Several prominent Latino commentators have pointed out that Obama has never traveled to Mexico or Latin America.

"He is not a friend of Mexico. He's never even been to Tijuana," he said. "He knows nothing about them."

With all due respect to Mexico, I think it is much more important the Obama - the president of the United States - is a friend to the US over Mexico or Argentina or Russia or the UK. Really, it boggles my mind that people seem to think that the US president should show favoritism to a foreign country over our own simply because many of the largest minority group hailed from there at some point.
Ridiculous.

Old 01-17-2009, 02:18 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,611,587 times
Quote:
Me too.
I stand by what I see/witness/live/am related to/am immersed in.
Ditto...

Old 01-17-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Obama's stance on the agreement shows his lack of understanding of Latin American issues, and of Mexico in particular, Lowery Contreras said. Several prominent Latino commentators have pointed out that Obama has never traveled to Mexico or Latin America.

"He is not a friend of Mexico. He's never even been to Tijuana," he said. "He knows nothing about them."

With all due respect to Mexico, I think it is much more important the Obama - the president of the United States - is a friend to the US over Mexico or Argentina or Russia or the UK. Really, it boggles my mind that people seem to think that the US president should show favoritism to a foreign country over our own simply because many of the largest minority group hailed from there at some point.
Ridiculous.
As I have stated many times in the past: I have no sympathy for Mexico's problems-----------that nation needs to grow up and take responsibility for itself.

If Spain can do it: why not Mexico?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration