Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 08:18 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Never say "never". Did the legal aliens coming here in 1910 know in about 10 years that'd it became almost impossible to immigrate to the US?

Things go in cycles and it's time again the borders will be closed. If not today; def real soon.
Except that there are strong economic/political reasons why huge sections of congress (from BOTH partys) DON'T WANT those things to happen - and CONGRESS are the ones who would have to make it happen. The Big Business wing of BOTH PARTYS wants cheap labor and the Democrats in general (and an increasing number of Republicans) don't want to alienate the fastest-growing demographic in the country.

All in all there is NO REASON to assume there will be 180 degree shift anytime soon.
All you are really doing is HOPING for CHANGE - when in reality there is NO real reason to assume there will actually BE some change on this issue.

HOW exactly are you thinking it will happen?
With every year the Hispanic voting block gains in strength. If it wasn't done back when the Hispanic voting block was weak, what makes you think it will happen as the Hispanic voting strengthens? That sounds like mere wishful thinking to me.

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 08:26 PM

62,949 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Never say "never". Did the legal aliens coming here in 1910 know in about 10 years that'd it became almost impossible to immigrate to the US?

Things go in cycles and it's time again the borders will be closed. If not today; def real soon.
I find that those who say "it ain't gonna happen" are in truth those who don't want it to happen under the phoney guise of being realistic because they are illegal alien sympathizers. They fool no one.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Asians are very docile in public. They voice their opinions at the polls. Immigration played a significant factor in 70 percent of Asians voting for Barack Obama.
Really you got proof of that? I'll wait.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I find that those who say "it ain't gonna happen" are in truth those who don't want it to happen under the phoney guise of being realistic because they are illegal alien sympathizers. They fool no one.
So HOW EXACTLY do YOU expect it to happen?
Go ahead, spell it out - HOW are you going to make it happen?
That's why it hasn't happened ALREADY.
The GOP can't even count on their OWN members of congress to vote for all those things, let alone getting enough votes from Democrat members of congress to get them "over the top". It's not like the minority in favor of those things can simply impliment them on their own. They NEED the votes to do so - and THEN they need the PRESIDENT'S signature.

Sorry, but odds of all that happening are slim to none.
It's not merely what I "want" to happen, it's simple reality.

Ken

Old 08-21-2013, 05:34 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,299,761 times
Quote:
Really you got proof of that? I'll wait.
Of course there is no "proof". I am married to an Asian and I hear what she and her friends talk about and think, and also know Immigration Lawyers often pop into Asian churches and community centers to talk about immigration knowing a fair amount of their congregations may be illegal.

Here is a brief link stating why Asians vote Democrat;
Why do Asian Americans vote so heavily Democratic? Political science research has some answers by Kathleen Geier | Political Animal | The Washington Monthly

Old 08-21-2013, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Of course there is no "proof". I am married to an Asian and I hear what she and her friends talk about and think, and also know Immigration Lawyers often pop into Asian churches and community centers to talk about immigration knowing a fair amount of their congregations may be illegal.

Here is a brief link stating why Asians vote Democrat;
Why do Asian Americans vote so heavily Democratic? Political science research has some answers by Kathleen Geier | Political Animal | The Washington Monthly
This article is so biased against the GOP it is not to be believed. Words used like xenophobic, racist, etc. are typical left wing, ethnocentric propaganda including the lie quoted below. Since when are the Republicans anti-"immigrant"? As for people like Rush Limbaugh he isn't even a politician so why even mention him? The left sure doesn't stand up to people like the race baiters Sharpton, Jessie Jackson, etc. Pot, kettle, black. Try again, this biased article doesn't cut it.

Quote:

"As for the “push factors”: well, the Republican’s anti-immigrant bias and its alliance with the Christian right are not doing them any favors so far as Asian Americans are concerned".

Old 08-21-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:
This article is so biased against the GOP it is not to be believed. Words used like xenophobic, racist, etc. are typical left wing, ethnocentric propaganda including the lie quoted below. Since when are the Republicans anti-"immigrant"? As for people like Rush Limbaugh he isn't even a politician so why even mention him? The left sure doesn't stand up to people like the race baiters Sharpton, Jessie Jackson, etc. Pot, kettle, black. Try again, this biased article doesn't cut it.

Quote:

"As for the “push factors”: well, the Republican’s anti-immigrant bias and its alliance with the Christian right are not doing them any favors so far as Asian Americans are concerned".
You clowns crack me up. You are so far in denial it's unbelievable.
The article isn't "biased against the GOP" - it's merely stating how Asian-Americans PERCEIVE the GOP. Just because YOU don't perceive the GOP that way doesn't mean OTHER people don't. You folks seem to have this myopic view that EVERYONE sees things the same way YOU do. Why the heck should THAT be the case?

If you disagree with the authors' views on WHY Asian-Americans have turned so solidly against the GOP, then why don't YOU explain WHY that's the case - because polls have shown that to be true over and over and over again. Clearly Asian-Americans no longer like the GOP very much so there is clearly SOME reason for that. If your disagree that Asian-Americans no longer see the GOP as "welcoming to them" then what is YOUR explanation as to why they've abandoned the GOP is droves.

In regards to "why mention Limbaugh?" - gee, I don't know, maybe it's because he's the most successful, most famous such commentor ON THE PLANET. Do you REALLY think that Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson get ANYWHERE NEAR the exposure that Limbaugh gets?
Really?
REALLY?

Face it, Limbaughs big mouth and huge audience make him a major spokesman for the GOP point of view. Whether or not he's a politician is irrelevant - many, many, many people see him as a banner carrier and spokesman for the GOP so folks pay attention to what he says - so when HE rants like a xenophobe, it reflects on the GOP as a whole. Whether or not that's fair or whether or not his views are an accurate picture of overall GOP values is not really relevant - it's whether or not his views are PERCEIVED by Asian-Americans as being reflective of overall GOP views that's the issue.

Again, if you disagree with the authors assessment, why do YOU think that Asian-Americans have turned against the GOP?
Don't just rail that the "article is biased against the GOP" - give some feasible ALTERNATE explanation for what's going on.

Ken

Old 08-21-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Then you tell me why did 70 percent of Asian voters vote for Obama? For free stuff?

Old 08-21-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Then you tell me why did 70 percent of Asian voters vote for Obama? For free stuff?
I really don't know. Perhaps there is an unbiased article out there that would explain it. The Democrats just like the Republicans have differening views on many issues. Perhaps Asians are just socially liberal. I am sure for most it had nothing to do with wanting amnesty for their ethnic group here illegally. Asians don't strike me as being ethnocentric in that way.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:06 PM

Quote:
I really don't know. Perhaps there is an unbiased article out there that would explain it. The Democrats just like the Republicans have differening views on many issues. Perhaps Asians are just socially liberal. I am sure for most it had nothing to do with wanting amnesty for their ethnic group here illegally. Asians don't strike me as being ethnocentric in that way.
Actually Asians tend to be more Conservative on Social issues. It is like I said before, if anyone has a friend or family member in the country illegally, they are going to support a way for them to become legal. You think that in Asian communities or Hispanic communities the legal ones live on one side of town, and the illegals on the other? They go to separate places of worship? The form clicks and do not mingle together?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration