Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 02:24 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,567,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
President Obama will debut his plans for comprehensive immigration reform at an event Tuesday in Las Vegas, the White House said Friday.

In a statement, the White House said the president's proposal would call for legislation to create a path to citizenship for illegal immigrants. Obama held a strategy session Friday with members of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus, telling the lawmakers that reform efforts would be "a top priority" in his second term.
Obama to unveil immigration plan - The Hill's Blog Briefing Room

This "new" legislation will be nothing more than a repeat of the failed 1986 so-called immigration reform -- the one that would finally end illegal immigration. I wonder who will be the scapegoat for this fiasco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 02:55 PM

62,970 posts, read 29,162,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Obama to unveil immigration plan - The Hill's Blog Briefing Room

This "new" legislation will be nothing more than a repeat of the failed 1986 so-called immigration reform -- the one that would finally end illegal immigration. I wonder who will be the scapegoat for this fiasco.
So he met with the Congressional Hispanic Caucus? Why didn't he meet with other congressional groups of Americans of other ethnic groups and get their feed back on this also?

Old 01-25-2013, 03:06 PM

From the article:

"The President expressed a great sense of urgency and that comprehensive immigration reform, including an earned path to citizenship for undocumented immigrants, is his top legislative priority."

Really? This is more urgent over jobs, unemployment, our economy, our deficit, etc?

I note he said that he wants to create a pathway to citizenship for those illegal immigrants who are not involved in criminal activity. Correct me if I am wrong but isn't ID theft a criminal activity along with tax evasion?

Old 01-25-2013, 04:15 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,567,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
So he met with the Congressional Hispanic Caucus? Why didn't he meet with other congressional groups of Americans of other ethnic groups and get their feed back on this also?
I suppose Hispanics are the only group he considers stakeholders. And, let's not forget, they alone are responsible for Obama's reelection. He owes them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
From the article:

"The President expressed a great sense of urgency and that comprehensive immigration reform, including an earned path to citizenship for undocumented immigrants, is his top legislative priority."

Really? This is more urgent over jobs, unemployment, our economy, our deficit, etc?

I note he said that he wants to create a pathway to citizenship for those illegal immigrants who are not involved in criminal activity. Correct me if I am wrong but isn't ID theft a criminal activity along with tax evasion?
ID theft and tax evasion are only criminal offenses if you're a citizen or legal immigrant. After all, illegals are forced to commit those crimes to survive in this country. It would be mean-spirited and racist to punish them for something as trivial as ruining their victims' lives. Not only will illegals be rewarded for committing felony offenses, but their greedy, slimy employers will also be absolved. Yep, that should certainly deter future illegal immigration.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:38 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
I see he waited for his big immigration plan after he got unemployment handouts extended yet again -- it seems the agenda is to keep Americans unemployed and reward all those who come here illegally and commit felony document fraud with easy citizenship and cater to their every whim.

Old 01-27-2013, 03:18 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,512,981 times
Its not all on him. Republicans are running scared now and will roll over and play dead on immigration "reform". The "Gang of Eight" senators are already speaking in favorable terms regarding amnesty for the 11 million. Its all about political power and keeping their jobs - they'd sell their children to do it. They don't care what's good for the country - both parties are running scared over the Hispanic vote. Illegal aliens and catering to them is now the new third rail.

Old 01-27-2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
Its not all on him. Republicans are running scared now and will roll over and play dead on immigration "reform". The "Gang of Eight" senators are already speaking in favorable terms regarding amnesty for the 11 million. Its all about political power and keeping their jobs - they'd sell their children to do it. They don't care what's good for the country - both parties are running scared over the Hispanic vote. Illegal aliens and catering to them is now the new third rail.
As I have said before the Republicans are clueless if they think advocating for an amnesty will garner any more of the Hispanic vote for them. Why do any politicians cater to people who demand that our immigration laws be disrespected and not enforced against their ethnic group here illegally? Has money and power become so important that our politicians are allowing themselves to be blackmailed for votes even if it means thumbing their noses at our laws now? How did we get to this point in our country?

Old 01-27-2013, 10:27 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
And Obama has tossed aside job creation for Americans, and he's tossed aside gun control -- he says that getting amnesty for all the illegals is his TOP priority.

He's a great president to foreigners coming here illegally and breaking all sorts of laws. Too bad he's doing so little to get jobs for the American people who really need jobs.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:21 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,331,786 times
My take on this.

I'm someone who has been critical of the crackdown on illegals. Not so much because I believe that illegals deserve amnesty or special attention - I don't. It's just that I always felt a lot of the attention on illegals by conservatives was unwarranted. I think illegals and Hispanics in general have been scapegoated.

All of that being said, I think progressives and those who support 'amnesty' should be careful. I think this thing can swing too far in the other direction. Obviously, we have controlled borders for a reason, and if we open the floodgates that's not good. I wonder if perhaps there won't be a backlash against illegals in 2 to 4 years that costs democrats and liberals at the ballot box.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:22 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,918,398 times
it looks like it is a done deal. here are the 8 traitor senators:

The eight senators expected to endorse the new principles are Democrats Charles Schumer of New York, Dick Durbin of Illinois, Robert Menendez of New Jersey and Michael Bennet of Colorado; and Republicans John McCain of Arizona, Lindsey Graham of South Carolina, Marco Rubio of Florida and Jeff Flake of Arizona.

isn't menendez the guy out there hiring underage prostitues? maybe these are the senators who can be blackmailed.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...#ixzz2JGwjW9Vr

let me go on record saying that i wouldn't vote for rubio for dogcatcher in florida now. he may get up and speak at tea party rallies, but he doesn't understand a thing about economics.

and for you people who picked obama what were you thinking????? most of you are in the most dependent group, and can't afford to give up your "share of the pie".

amnesty here we come-open up those floodgates. this government is so freaking desperate that they are hoping to charge a "fee" to open up the gates to america and to hell with the people who actually live here.

no wonder they want to try and take away the guns.

we really need a 3rd party in america to STAND UP FOR AMERICANS.

Last edited by floridasandy; 01-28-2013 at 06:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration