Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 06:34 AM

63,552 posts, read 29,660,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
My take on this.

I'm someone who has been critical of the crackdown on illegals. Not so much because I believe that illegals deserve amnesty or special attention - I don't. It's just that I always felt a lot of the attention on illegals by conservatives was unwarranted. I think illegals and Hispanics in general have been scapegoated.

All of that being said, I think progressives and those who support 'amnesty' should be careful. I think this thing can swing too far in the other direction. Obviously, we have controlled borders for a reason, and if we open the floodgates that's not good. I wonder if perhaps there won't be a backlash against illegals in 2 to 4 years that costs democrats and liberals at the ballot box.
I'll just comment on your first paragragh because I agree with your second one. I don't understand your claims that there is too much attention put on illegal immigration or that you feel it is only a conservative thing. We have a lot of problems in this country and not all of them are due to illegal immigration. However, illegal immigration is a good part of why our tax coffers are being depleted, our schools, jails and ER's are overcrowded and American jobs are disappearing.

How in the world is acknowledging those factual things as "paying too much attention to the issue or scapegoating"? When have Hispanics in general been used as scapegoats for our problems? The issue is those here illegally not Hispanics in general. The only Hispanics who are not illegal immigrants that I think create problems are those who support illegal immigrants for ethnic reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 07:27 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,710,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Obama to unveil immigration plan - The Hill's Blog Briefing Room

This "new" legislation will be nothing more than a repeat of the failed 1986 so-called immigration reform -- the one that would finally end illegal immigration. I wonder who will be the scapegoat for this fiasco.
It seems unreal that people are accepting of this???

We don't need reform or amnesty. The President is doing nothing but hijacking the immigration system. Why should we legalize 12-25 million illegals & pretend to secure the border after?

The President must be on bath salts.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:00 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,649,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
My take on this.

I'm someone who has been critical of the crackdown on illegals. Not so much because I believe that illegals deserve amnesty or special attention - I don't. It's just that I always felt a lot of the attention on illegals by conservatives was unwarranted. I think illegals and Hispanics in general have been scapegoated.

All of that being said, I think progressives and those who support 'amnesty' should be careful. I think this thing can swing too far in the other direction. Obviously, we have controlled borders for a reason, and if we open the floodgates that's not good. I wonder if perhaps there won't be a backlash against illegals in 2 to 4 years that costs democrats and liberals at the ballot box.
Why should it ever be considered "unwarranted" to pay attention to people who violate our laws? Isn't that the purpose of law enforcement? I don't understand your objection. Nor do I understand how Hispanics are scapegoats. The majority of illegals are Hispanic. That's irrefutable. Hispanics are also the demographic with overwhelming support for illegal aliens. In fact, they threatened to withhold votes if Obama didn't push so-called immigration reform. That's the only reason he threw them a bone with DACA. He also chose to have a private meeting with the Hispanic Caucus to discuss the particulars of the bill. I could be mistaken, but to my knowledge, he didn't extend the same courtesy to other demographics. Why?

In my opinion, they placed themselves in the spotlight through their arrogance, protest marches, threats, demands, and sense of entitlement. In fact, many Hispanic voters believe in exchange for their votes, they deserve legalization and a path to citizenship for their illegal brethren; and they have no problem conveying that message. Obviously, our power-drunk politicians are listening. Hispanic illegals become more emboldened each day, and mark my words, their demands will only increase.

I agree with your second paragraph. They claim our current laws are broken, and we don't have the resources for their enforcement. If true, how on earth will they enforce new laws? Moreover, how long will it take before the new laws become broken? Of course, the only thing that's "broken" is their word. They made the same promises in 1986, and they have done absolutely nothing to deserve our trust. Yes, this will indeed backfire, and they'll all scramble for excuses, while pointing fingers at each other. This is a prime example of a recipe for disaster. The proverbial "Perfect Storm."

Old 01-28-2013, 10:15 AM

19,432 posts, read 17,002,024 times
Looks like Senators have reached a deal. Good!

The U.S. could use more taxpayers

Senators reach deal on immigration changes - NBC Politics

Old 01-28-2013, 10:50 AM

48,493 posts, read 97,285,529 times
Yep from report it cintians the same promise of sealig the border for amnesty.Same ole;sameole.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post

Yes, I'm sure unskilled, low-wage earners, with several dependents to claim as exemptions, and credits from EITC and ACTC will have a tremendous impact on our tax base. Not to mention adding substantially to our welfare, Medicaid, subsidized housing, and food stamp rolls. Yes, this deserves a celebration.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:53 AM

19,432 posts, read 17,002,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Yes, I'm sure unskilled, low-wage earners, with several dependents to claim as exemptions, and credits from EITC and ACTC will have a tremendous impact on our tax base. Not to mention adding substantially to our welfare, Medicaid, subsidized housing, and food stamp rolls. Yes, this deserves a celebration.
I was going to add one of those eye rolls to the end of my comment because it was more sarcasm than anything. I'm pretty much of the same opinion as you about the whole thing.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:56 AM

63,552 posts, read 29,660,016 times
Quote:

I doubt that you will see the same scenario being played out in the House. So I wouldn't get all giddy if I were you.

Yes, let's make taxpayers out of our unemployed Americans once again by deporting illegal immigants so they can have their jobs back. Good idea!

Old 01-28-2013, 11:06 AM

Quote:
I was going to add one of those eye rolls to the end of my comment because it was more sarcasm than anything. I'm pretty much of the same opinion as you about the whole thing.
Thanks for the clarification.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:46 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,359,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I'll just comment on your first paragragh because I agree with your second one. I don't understand your claims that there is too much attention put on illegal immigration or that you feel it is only a conservative thing. We have a lot of problems in this country and not all of them are due to illegal immigration. However, illegal immigration is a good part of why our tax coffers are being depleted, our schools, jails and ER's are overcrowded and American jobs are disappearing.

How in the world is acknowledging those factual things as "paying too much attention to the issue or scapegoating"? When have Hispanics in general been used as scapegoats for our problems? The issue is those here illegally not Hispanics in general. The only Hispanics who are not illegal immigrants that I think create problems are those who support illegal immigrants for ethnic reasons.
There's never going to be an end to illegal immigration. This problem cannot be stopped, it can only be controlled. This country was founded by people who took extreme risks to get across the Atlantic and to cross the Continental Divide, so in that regard, I think illegal immigrants actually have a lot in common with us, regardless of whether they have legally recognized status in this country.

What I mean by scapegoating, though, is this assumption that illegals are taking away American jobs and destroying the economy, which is nonsense. The economy was destroyed by excess lending and bad borrowing, not illegals. I certainly agree that illegals put a strain on public resources in some communities, and that's something that needs to be addressed. But beyond that, I think the damage caused by illegals is questionable. That can be debated, I suppose, but I'm going to just sidestep that debate and agree to disagree with those who typically visit this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration