Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 01:20 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,854,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Yet, an internet poll was conducted right after that whereby over 35,000 Americans responded and voted on this issue. The results were 80% said "no they are here by illegal means"...
An "Internet poll" normally means it has a link, which you haven't provided, as well as how the "poll" was conducted. For any aspect of believability you need to source things like that. I want to also reinforce earlier concerns that a "poll" generally means someone is not actively choosing to register their opinion somewhere.

You identified a bogus "poll" alright, just that it is what you are offering as a contrast...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 02:42 PM

7,165 posts, read 4,760,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
An "Internet poll" normally means it has a link, which you haven't provided, as well as how the "poll" was conducted. For any aspect of believability you need to source things like that. I want to also reinforce earlier concerns that a "poll" generally means someone is not actively choosing to register their opinion somewhere.

You identified a bogus "poll" alright, just that it is what you are offering as a contrast...

This poll is on the MSN Homepage. Here's the link:
www.msn.com
The poll is on the lower right-hand side. Anyone who views the msn page can vote.
best,
toodie

Poll: Many Americans favor letting illegal immigrants stay More than 6 in 10 Americans now say they should be allowed to become US citizens.

Do you feel illegal immigrants should be allowed to stay in the US?
  1. Yes; they deserve the opportunity.

19 %

Yes; they deserve the opportunity.
    91,622 votes

2. No; they are here by illegal means.
    77 %

No; they are here by illegal means.
    363,808 votes

3. I'm not sure.

4 %

I'm not sure.

Old 01-23-2013, 04:27 PM

563 posts, read 808,519 times
Quote:
Many say let illegal immigrants stay in US, poll finds

There were only a little over a 1,000 polled about illegal immigration in this poll which claimed that the majority of Americans want legalization of illegal immigrants and/or a path to citizenship now. Yet, an internet poll was conducted right after that whereby over 35,000 Americans responded and voted on this issue. The results were 80% said "no they are here by illegal means".

16 %

5,681 votes
    80 %

28,355 votes
  3. I'm not sure.

4 %

I'm not sure.
    1,349 votes
Total Responses: 35,385
I would reject both polls in my opinion. They simply cover too small of a sample that can not represent the American people at whole on this issue.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
This poll is on the MSN Homepage. Here's the link: www.msn.com
The poll is on the lower right-hand side. Anyone who views the msn page can vote...
I went to the MSN page with my Firefox browser, reviewed the results, and then voted. Loaded Internet Explorer, voted. Cleared cookies, voted a third time.

Yeah, that's not really ANY valid result that someone should be defending...

Old 01-23-2013, 05:50 PM

63,058 posts, read 29,256,181 times
Quote:

It was on the MSN homepage. There is a lot of other info on it so that is why I didn't link to it. You'd really have to look for it. Why would you assume that there wouldn't be just as many illegal immigrant defenders that would vote on the poll as those who object to them? Afterall, it wasn't from a conservative website. I'll take a public, unbiased poll's results whereby over 35,000 people voted over 1,000 from a possible biased one any day. If you read the article that was included in this bogus poll you would see it is biased.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:53 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,025,043 times
Quote:
Many say let illegal immigrants stay in US, poll finds

There were only a little over a 1,000 polled about illegal immigration in this poll which claimed that the majority of Americans want legalization of illegal immigrants and/or a path to citizenship now. Yet, an internet poll was conducted right after that whereby over 35,000 Americans responded and voted on this issue. The results were 80% said "no they are here by illegal means".

16 %

5,681 votes

80 %

28,355 votes

3. I'm not sure.

4 %

I'm not sure.
    1,349 votes

Total Responses: 35,385
Yes, I find that poll very hard to believe as well. If they poll the border states most affected by illegal immigration, it would be an overwhelming "NO" to illegal immigration and pathways.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:53 PM

Quote:
I went to the MSN page with my Firefox browser, reviewed the results, and then voted. Loaded Internet Explorer, voted. Cleared cookies, voted a third time.

And of course this is what most voters did, right? Well, what was to stop those who voted in favor of illegal immigrants from doing the same? You did it.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:31 PM

Quote:
...I'll take a public, unbiased poll's results whereby over 35,000 people voted over 1,000 from a possible biased one any day...
But it's not really a "poll", nor anything of reliable data. How many of those without Internet access, or that do not go to the MSN page, voted? Was there those that voted multiple times?

What is the margin of error with such a "poll"?...

You believe the "poll" that provides the results you want...

Quote:
And of course this is what most voters did, right? Well, what was to stop those who voted in favor of illegal immigrants from doing the same? You did it.
I voted for each separate selection on those three times...

Old 01-23-2013, 06:48 PM

Quote:
But it's not really a "poll", nor anything of reliable data. How many of those without Internet access, or that do not go to the MSN page, voted? Was there those that voted multiple times?

What is the margin of error with such a "poll"?...

You believe the "poll" that provides the results you want...

I voted for each separate selection on those three times...
You're still repeating this when I already replied to you about it in my last post? I doubt that many people on either side of this issue would know how to vote more than once or care to. You'd be the one to do it just to prove a point but it isn't proven that anyone else did. If you want to believe 1,000 voters opposed to (I think) over hundreds of thousand of votes by now in the poll I posted then so be it.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:57 PM

7,165 posts, read 4,760,910 times
Quote:

Someone asked for a link, so I posted it.
MSN Live Votes are set up by computer, not by browser. You can't vote twice by clearing cookies and going back to the home page. I tried it. It didn't work. Read about how it works online by googling the info.

Not saying the vote is scientific, or should be relied upon. Just saying how it works is you can't vote twice by deleting cookies.

best,
toodie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration