Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 10:38 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,563,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
But, the question that has yet to be answered, is WHY is the Latino vote "more important" than others?
I do not know why you ask that question since I never said the latino more important than others, have I? If so please find my quote so I can stand corrected. I wrote "What I do know is that the latino vote is recornize as a vote that is more critical in elections." That is the closest I may have said to your interpretation but it does not the latino vote is more important. Please stick to what is in black and white.

Do you actually think Obama could have been re-elected without the overwhelming support from black voters?
I do not know. All I stated was that that latinos are no different than other groups in expecting something from the president now that he got re-elected. Again, please stick to what I wrote in black and white.

What about the 73% of Asians who voted for him? Had either group chosen to vote for Romney by the same percentage they voted for Obama, would Obama have won a second term?
I do not have the stats by electoral states votes and the different groups in the different regions to answer that question. My point, AGAIN, was that the hispanic vote has become more critical to presidential candidates, no more no less. You want to put words in my mouth, be my guest but I am not going to be allowed to be drawn into point I did not cover to discuss your agenda as it seems to be in your response.

I think not. Yet, Hispanics are the ONLY group claiming Obama "owes" them something.
AGAIN, hispanics are not the only ones claiming as if Obama owes them anything. I have seen black, women, and other groups expressing the same sentimens latinos have, no different. Is that not what I said in my previous message? Stick with black and white and you will have no problem.

Other groups may "expect" Obama to address their issues and concerns, but none have openly stated he "owes" them something, or else. In fact, I daresay, had black Americans made such a claim, there would be so much outrage, it would be deafening. Not to mention, Obama would promptly tell them to stop whining.
Well, I suppose you have missed the blacks, women, and other groups that I have seen on TV, newspapers, forums etc., express the "or else" attitude. I understand you and I cannot be everywhere to see those things so if you missed those in other groups I can't say I fault you.

I found a rather interesting article written by Tavis Smiley. According to the comments, most black folks don't believe Obama "owes" them anything. In fact, Tavis has been vilified for daring to suggest such.

Tavis Smiley: The Last of the Loud
And if I spend my time also, I am sure I can find some article saying the opposite but even if I had showed you one I venture to guess you will dismiss it as incorrect, biased, etc. so why even try. The source you quote is on guy that wrote and article. I did not even bother to read the article, you summarized the point in support of your claim. Even if he quoted some survey, I am sure I can find a survey making an opposite claim. Did he show a survey?
The bottom line to me? You read to much into my message. In short I simply said that hispanics are not the only ones that expect payoff from the president because they voted for him and also that the hipanic vote has become more critical. You want to read my mind and reply as if I said something else, I clarify by saying that those claims you made about me in my message are incorrect. Take care.

P.S. I decided to read the article and it and give "Meet the press" as the source for his commentary. Did you go by this as your claim? I would hope not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 12:45 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,589,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
I do not know why you ask that question since I never said the latino more important than others, have I? If so please find my quote so I can stand corrected. I wrote "What I do know is that the latino vote is recornize as a vote that is more critical in elections." That is the closest I may have said to your interpretation but it does not the latino vote is more important. Please stick to what is in black and white.
I asked the question, because I asked earlier without a response, and I am still waiting. In your opinion, the Latino vote is more critical, yet you also failed to offer an explanation. In addition, perhaps you'd like to explain the difference between Latinos being "more important" as opposed to "more critical" than other groups.

Quote:
I do not have the stats by electoral states votes and the different groups in the different regions to answer that question. My point, AGAIN, was that the hispanic vote has become more critical to presidential candidates, no more no less. You want to put words in my mouth, be my guest but I am not going to be allowed to be drawn into point I did not cover to discuss your agenda as it seems to be in your response.
I posted the stats. If you doubt them, you can easily Google. Do you actually not realize by saying the Hispanic vote is "more critical" you are indeed implying their votes are "more important" than others? I don't have to put word in your mouth. Now, why don't you explain "why" their votes are more critical?

Quote:
AGAIN, hispanics are not the only ones claiming as if Obama owes them anything. I have seen black, women, and other groups expressing the same sentimens latinos have, no different. Is that not what I said in my previous message? Stick with black and white and you will have no problem.
Unlike you, I haven't heard of ANY demands being made by other groups. Perhaps you'd like to share their demands with those of us in the dark.

Quote:
Well, I suppose you have missed the blacks, women, and other groups that I have seen on TV, newspapers, forums etc., express the "or else" attitude. I understand you and I cannot be everywhere to see those things so if you missed those in other groups I can't say I fault you.
Again, please share your proof from the numerous TV programs, articles, forums, etc. Otherwise, it's just your opinion.

Quote:
And if I spend my time also, I am sure I can find some article saying the opposite but even if I had showed you one I venture to guess you will dismiss it as incorrect, biased, etc. so why even try. The source you quote is on guy that wrote and article. I did not even bother to read the article, you summarized the point in support of your claim. Even if he quoted some survey, I am sure I can find a survey making an opposite claim. Did he show a survey?The bottom line to me? You read to much into my message. In short I simply said that hispanics are not the only ones that expect payoff from the president because they voted for him and also that the hipanic vote has become more critical. You want to read my mind and reply as if I said something else, I clarify by saying that those claims you made about me in my message are incorrect. Take care.

P.S. I decided to read the article and it and give "Meet the press" as the source for his commentary. Did you go by this as your claim? I would hope not.
You're contradicting yourself. First, you said you saw other groups on TV, as well as read newspaper articles/forum comments in which they made demands and expressed the belief that Obama "owes" them something. Now, you're saying if you spent time to find articles you could prove your point. Which is it?

Tavis Smiley did not quote from a survey. Why would he need a survey to offer his opinion on Obama's obligation to black voters? His commentary was in response to a statement made by Doris Kearns Goodwin during her appearance on "Meet the Press." I'm not sure why you're questioning the source. However, if you Google you will find numerous articles related to her comments and his response.

BTW, if you intend to respond to this post, please show me the same level of consideration I have shown. In other words, please do not post your responses inside the body of my quote. In doing so, I cannot respond to your comments without first copying and pasting, which I had to do to respond to all of your comments shown above the last quote.

Old 11-24-2012, 02:34 PM

63,089 posts, read 29,284,973 times
Quote:
And if I spend my time also, I am sure I can find some article saying the opposite but even if I had showed you one I venture to guess you will dismiss it as incorrect, biased, etc. so why even try. The source you quote is on guy that wrote and article. I did not even bother to read the article, you summarized the point in support of your claim. Even if he quoted some survey, I am sure I can find a survey making an opposite claim. Did he show a survey?
The bottom line to me? You read to much into my message. In short I simply said that hispanics are not the only ones that expect payoff from the president because they voted for him and also that the hipanic vote has become more critical. You want to read my mind and reply as if I said something else, I clarify by saying that those claims you made about me in my message are incorrect. Take care.

Name what other group that voted for Obama that expects him to thumb his nose at our laws....in this case our immigration laws? Anything every other group expects from Obama is not in opposition to our laws. I don't know of any other group as a whole that favors their ethnic group above our laws and demands that those here illegally are to be rewarded by being able to remain here with 23 million Americans out of work and the negative impact on our own citizens, do you?

Old 11-24-2012, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I asked the question, because I asked earlier without a response, and I am still waiting. In your opinion, the Latino vote is more critical, yet you also failed to offer an explanation. In addition, perhaps you'd like to explain the difference between Latinos being "more important" as opposed to "more critical" than other groups.
Is more critical than in the past. Whether it is more than any other groups, I do not know. Is that any clearer? AGAIN, more critical than in the past, not so much as compared with other groups, clearer? AGAIN, you read to much into it.

I posted the stats. If you doubt them, you can easily Google. Do you actually not realize by saying the Hispanic vote is "more critical" you are indeed implying their votes are "more important" than others? I don't have to put word in your mouth. Now, why don't you explain "why" their votes are more critical?
I already explained above. However, you ask a request and that is a good one. It is more critical because hispanics ARE growing in numbers and voting more. That could possibly become more critical in tight races. Thanks for finally asking not making a statement of fact as if I said that it was more important than other groups.

Unlike you, I haven't heard of ANY demands being made by other groups. Perhaps you'd like to share their demands with those of us in the dark.
Oh, boy! I already explained that. I am not going to waste my time with someone that is trying to be argumentative. Just re-read what I wrote about the point.

Again, please share your proof from the numerous TV programs, articles, forums, etc. Otherwise, it's just your opinion.
The same as above. Not an opinion, I am not going to try to go an google all over the world trying to find articles, TV news or programs that I have seen or read in the past just to satisfy you. If you truly want to know, then find out. In discussions in this or other forums we do not show proof or sources to express point or comment about something we may have seen or read in the past. I simply tell you, you want to believe it, good, not believe, just as good.

You're contradicting yourself. First, you said you saw other groups on TV, as well as read newspaper articles/forum comments in which they made demands and expressed the belief that Obama "owes" them something. Now, you're saying if you spent time to find articles you could prove your point. Which is it?
No contradiction, just re-read what I just wrote above regarding the same point.

Tavis Smiley did not quote from a survey. Why would he need a survey to offer his opinion on Obama's obligation to black voters? His commentary was in response to a statement made by Doris Kearns Goodwin during her appearance on "Meet the Press." I'm not sure why you're questioning the source. However, if you Google you will find numerous articles related to her comments and his response.
I am not questioning any source. I am simply saying that it is not good enough to base your point and I simply said that to quote that as blacks do not feel they are owed something does not fully support your point. I am glad you had that article and thanks for sharing.

BTW, if you intend to respond to this post, please show me the same level of consideration I have shown. In other words, please do not post your responses inside the body of my quote. In doing so, I cannot respond to your comments without first copying and pasting, which I had to do to respond to all of your comments shown above the last quote.
I have no problem admiting ignorance when I know I am ignorant of something, in this case regarding your request. First I point that it is not my intent to not show consideration. You are the very first one that addresses this point with me. I have done it all the time without anyone having a problem with it.
I do not know how to do what you asked me to do. I asked a couple of time how it is done but I admit I could not get it. It's been a while since I been wondering how it is done and have experimented with no success. If you do not mind, teach me. Maybe you can explain it in more clear terms and not in unclear ways I was told. Take care.

Old 11-24-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Name what other group that voted for Obama that expects him to thumb his nose at our laws....in this case our immigration laws?
A very separate point, not regarding the point a certain group expects something from Obama because they voted for him. The point applies to any group regardless whether the issue is about a legal or illegal point.
Anything every other group expects from Obama is not in opposition to our laws. I don't know of any other group as a whole that favors their ethnic group above our laws and demands that those here illegally are to be rewarded by being able to remain here with 23 million Americans out of work and the negative impact on our own citizens, do you?
Again, the legal point is not the point. I simply say that other groups do expect him to deliver for him because they may have voted for him regardless of the legality or the issue itself. Take care.

Old 11-24-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Again, the legal point is not the point. I simply say that other groups do expect him to deliver for him because they may have voted for him regardless of the legality or the issue itself. Take care.
It certainly should be! Asking our president to thumb his nose at our immigration laws and reward those who violate them simply because of shared ethnicity is not what this country is all about. We are a nation of laws. Asking our president to ignore them is simply not right. No comparison to what any other group is desiring.

Old 11-24-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:
I have no problem admiting ignorance when I know I am ignorant of something, in this case regarding your request. First I point that it is not my intent to not show consideration. You are the very first one that addresses this point with me. I have done it all the time without anyone having a problem with it.
I do not know how to do what you asked me to do. I asked a couple of time how it is done but I admit I could not get it. It's been a while since I been wondering how it is done and have experimented with no success. If you do not mind, teach me. Maybe you can explain it in more clear terms and not in unclear ways I was told. Take care.
In response to your inserted comments, the fact that their numbers have grown at an unprecedented rate still does not explain why they should be considered "more critical" than other groups, particularly given the fact that without illegal immigration they would not have such a large population.

Again, Obama received 93% of the black vote, and 73% of the Asian. Both groups voted at a higher percentage than Hispanics, and without their votes he could not have been elected. Yet, somehow the Latino vote reigns supreme. I am still waiting for someone to explain why he "owes" them something that he does not owe others.

If you don't understand the Tavis Smiley commentary and the related comments, nothing I say will make sense. Just leave it alone.

I wasn't trying to be difficult. I honestly thought you knew how to quote individual sections. As you can see, when you quote within another poster's comment, they don't appear when that poster responds. Try the following steps and see what happens.

Step 1: Highlight and click "copy" where you see "Quote=Benicar...." It will begin with "[" and end with "]"

Step 2: Place the cursor at the beginning of the section you want to quote.

Step 3: Click "paste" and you will then see
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar
appear at the beginning of the section you are quoting.
Step 4: Highlight and click "copy" over the "end quote" it begins with "[/" and ends with "]" and place that at the end of the section you are quoting.

I hope this helps.

Old 11-24-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
I disagree. Legality is important. Hispanic voters are demanding Obama ignore the fact that their ethnic brethren have violated our laws. While other groups may expect him to honor his campaign promises, they certainly don't believe he "owes" them something in direct contravention of our laws for people who are here illegally. Moreover, a constituency making demands on behalf of citizens is quite different from making demands on behalf of people whose mere presence is unlawful.

Old 11-24-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
It certainly should be!
Again, they are two different points. However, for the sake of argument. The President does have the authority to make them legal whether we like it or not so he can address the issue for whatever reason he may see fit. We may not like it but it is what it is.

Asking our president to thumb his nose at our immigration laws and reward those who violate them simply because of shared ethnicity is not what this country is all about. We are a nation of laws. Asking our president to ignore them is simply not right. No comparison to what any other group is desiring.
It is no different than the prerogative of a judge to let go of someone that broke a law if he sees that for whatever reason it is best to do so whether we agree with it or not. We elect them to make those types of decisions and not to win a popularity contest.
As far as the "nation of laws" comments I must say that we as a nation do not such a great record and that incluedes as individuals. When we feel it is to our convenience we have broken laws, pacts, promises, etc. with no obligation to repair later. With this comment I am not saying it is OK to be breaking laws left and right. By all means we should strive to respect them but to make such comment with this "holier than though" attitude I must say does not have much impact on me. Take care.
Take care.

Old 11-24-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
It is no different than the prerogative of a judge to let go of someone that broke a law if he sees that for whatever reason it is best to do so whether we agree with it or not. We elect them to make those types of decisions and not to win a popularity contest.
As far as the "nation of laws" comments I must say that we as a nation do not such a great record and that incluedes as individuals. When we feel it is to our convenience we have broken laws, pacts, promises, etc. with no obligation to repair later. With this comment I am not saying it is OK to be breaking laws left and right. By all means we should strive to respect them but to make such comment with this "holier than though" attitude I must say does not have much impact on me. Take care.
Take care.
There is a difference between citizens and illegal immigrants, don't you agree? I don't know of any judge who dismisses the crimes of illegal foreigners by the millions with a slap on the wrist and a reward nor should he. These aren't citizens demanding forgiveness for their fellow citizens but demanding amnesty for illegal foreigners and based on like ethnicity.

We are a nation of laws because when a citizen breaks them they pay the consequences. They don't just get to take a walk. Our laws demand deportation for illegal immigrants for breaking the law not passes on them.

I have no holier than thou attitude. I expect citizens to pay the consequences for their crimes just as I expect illegal immigrants to do the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration