Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 03:59 PM

11,337 posts, read 16,691,416 times

Advertisements

Rob Sobhani uses a unique combination of conversations with ordinary people, sharply-drawn facts, some scary statistics, and common-sense anecdotes to make his case.

"Think about a lifeboat for a moment. By its nature, a lifeboat has a set circumference and will hold only a limited number of people. If it's a real emergency, maybe you can squeeze a few more in--but not many. If the boat becomes overloaded, it will tip over or sink, which would make it a deathboat. The fortunate people who have found seats in the lifeboat can look with compassion on those who are trying to squeeze in and overload the boat. But they can also understand that to act on their emotions could doom them all.
Moderator cut: shortened, copyright protection. Please provide a link to the original source

Last edited by Yac; 08-13-2012 at 05:57 AM..

Old 08-10-2012, 04:21 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,779,319 times
Great read. What I found interesting is the discussion of the impact illegals have had on the black working class. Unfortunately black people aren't seeing the full picture and how the situation affects the black working class. I think if more understood the impact, more would come to the conclusion that Obama is NOT good for the black population. This is a valid reason not to vote for him. Voting for him on the basis that he is black is not a reason to throw a vote away. Maybe Romney should start getting out there and talk to people in the black community and get the message out that Obama is not helping the black working class, but hurting them. We know that the media won't do it as they have thrown a protective shield over Obama. It's certainly a good point that can be used in the P&OC forum when people are casting their vote for him.

Old 08-10-2012, 04:37 PM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
I agree. It is an excellent read and an excellent summation of the illegal immigration problem.

Old 08-10-2012, 04:52 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,537,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I agree. It is an excellent read and an excellent summation of the illegal immigration problem.
Agreed!

I think I just said the same thing - in fewer words - just the other day on here... right down to 'subpar wages'.

Old 08-10-2012, 06:44 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Yes, a good article -- there was a time when liberals like Cesar Chavez, Ralph Abernathy, and Walter Mondale cared about better wages for Americans and actually led a march to the border to demand enforcement of immigration laws.

They were intelligent enough to see the connection between unlimited labor supplies and the reason illegals were being brought in.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:17 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,436,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Great read. What I found interesting is the discussion of the impact illegals have had on the black working class. Unfortunately black people aren't seeing the full picture and how the situation affects the black working class. I think if more understood the impact, more would come to the conclusion that Obama is NOT good for the black population. This is a valid reason not to vote for him. Voting for him on the basis that he is black is not a reason to throw a vote away. Maybe Romney should start getting out there and talk to people in the black community and get the message out that Obama is not helping the black working class, but hurting them. We know that the media won't do it as they have thrown a protective shield over Obama. It's certainly a good point that can be used in the P&OC forum when people are casting their vote for him.
You make some very good wise valid points. Too bad some won't heed your message, for their own good. And we know that no matter what with black unemployment so high, more women unemployed then ever, more people on food stamps, and on welfare.

Some will only see what they want to see and nothing more.

I would like the media excuse me to have some balls! But where Obama is concern, that will never happen, and that is sickening. You give him more power, when you only print the good about him, come out with the negative, and what he has done so wrong, screwed up our freaking economy, and this sure as hell ain't no Hope and what the hell change is he talking about.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:29 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,457,862 times
Good article. I wish more black people would see this.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:29 PM

153 posts, read 131,329 times
Quote:
Probably Sobhani's biggest beef with current American immigration policy is that it puts our own native black population at such disadvantage for jobs. Sobhani tells about flying to Houston, Texas, and getting into a taxi driven by an African-American man in his 50s. The driver spoke up when Sobhani stated he had travelled from Washington, D.C. He complained about his own U.S. Member of Congress, Rep. Sheila Jackson-Lee (graded as "F-" by NumbersUSA for her dismal voting record):

"'As far as I can see, she talks out of both sides of her mouth, pretending to represent blacks while she's throwing open the doors to aliens who are taking our jobs.'

"'You see this cab,' the driver asked? 'I'm one of the only black cab drivers in this area. There used to be a time when there were a lot of black cab drivers. Now they're all immigrants.'

"'I've got nothing against any people trying to make a living,' he said, 'but it's very simply the law of supply and demand. There are only so many jobs, and if we're putting out the welcome wagon to foreigners before we take care of our own, that's a problem.'"
I hate these sort of people. They are the absolute worth sort of people that our union has, and we would be better off to see their removal from society. I speak of course of cab drivers.

They lobby to restrict their competition all the time. In almost every city there exists a medallion system in some form that limits the numbers of 'legal' taxis that may service the area for a given period. This restriction creates a cartel that is capable of charging consumers higher prices that they would in an otherwise free market.

I am, for full disclosure, an apologetic user of 'illegal' taxi cabs which charge several times less.

It is of no surprise that a taxi cabby's best suggestion for helping the working class would be to create a similar cartel in labour.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:15 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Knight View Post
I hate these sort of people. They are the absolute worth sort of people that our union has, and we would be better off to see their removal from society. I speak of course of cab drivers.

They lobby to restrict their competition all the time. In almost every city there exists a medallion system in some form that limits the numbers of 'legal' taxis that may service the area for a given period. This restriction creates a cartel that is capable of charging consumers higher prices that they would in an otherwise free market.

I am, for full disclosure, an apologetic user of 'illegal' taxi cabs which charge several times less.

It is of no surprise that a taxi cabby's best suggestion for helping the working class would be to create a similar cartel in labour.
Why do YOU want Americans to have to fight with illegal aliens for work in the US? Times are tight; it's time to slow down all immigration and REALLY slow down illegal immigration. Sheesh!

Old 08-10-2012, 11:25 PM

153 posts, read 131,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Why do YOU want Americans to have to fight with illegal aliens for work in the US? Times are tight; it's time to slow down all immigration and REALLY slow down illegal immigration. Sheesh!
It's because times are hard that we need competition and free enterprise. Cartelizing the labour force won't help. All it'll do is increase nominal wages for a select people, and decrease the real wages of everyone. Immigration is a fantastic thing because it increases our labour force, creates jobs, lowers costs, increases the real wage, and brings even more delicious cuisine into our country.

I can no more prescribe the USA to increase its tariffs on immigration than I can prescribe it to increase tariffs on vehicles or sugar. These tariffs harm consumers at the expense of benefiting local vehicle and sugar makers. Similarly lowering legal migration and cracking down on illegal migration will only end up hurting the layman.

Don't you have a heart? I want to lift us out of these hard times, and to do so we need to liberate our markets from all these tariffs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration