Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 03:06 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,805,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Knight View Post
I hate these sort of people. They are the absolute worth sort of people that our union has, and we would be better off to see their removal from society. I speak of course of cab drivers.

They lobby to restrict their competition all the time. In almost every city there exists a medallion system in some form that limits the numbers of 'legal' taxis that may service the area for a given period. This restriction creates a cartel that is capable of charging consumers higher prices that they would in an otherwise free market.

I am, for full disclosure, an apologetic user of 'illegal' taxi cabs which charge several times less.

It is of no surprise that a taxi cabby's best suggestion for helping the working class would be to create a similar cartel in labour.
What do you mean by "our union"? and "removal from society"? Should the government ship those citizens to Mexico?

In NYC a medallion costs up to $1 million dollars. There is no time limit. It's like saying you buy a house and you can own it for 10 years. There are no restrictions on where a taxi driver or legit car service can operate. A taxi driver or licensed car service can cross state lines.

Many taxi medallions are privately owned. What the owner does is to "rent" his taxi out. He drives it for 8 hours and he can rent it out to 2 other people for 8 hours each. That taxi is in operation 24 hours. Also, a taxi driver is required to have a chauffeur's license and are required to display a state ID in full view for passengers.

Since illegals cannot meet the license and ID requirement they generally work for what is called "car service". There are two kinds of car service. One caters to the corporate market and works on a call in, voucher charge system - no money exchanges hands, and those that work for that service can buy radios (investment), which is like a medallion of sorts, which they can rent out, enabling people to work for the same company. All very legal, proper licenses, all above board. Unlike taxis, they don't work the city streets or airports looking for passengers.

Then you have the neighborhood car service which has low overhead so they can afford to charge a lower rate. Basically they don't have competition. It operates on a call in and walk in basis. In Brooklyn Mexicans have a big hold on driving for car service and there is a demand due to the absence of taxis.

I have never heard of taxi drivers lobbying to restrict competition - which would be a legitimate car service that serves corporations. You won't find taxis working in neighborhoods where car service businesses operate on a flat run charge. What or who exactly is their competition? Are they lobbying against public transport? Does McDonald's lobby to restrict Wendys or Burger King? Does Walmart lobby against K-Mart? What they might be lobbying against are the owners who rent out their cars to illegals or wanting an increase in rates (which seems to be controlled by the city/state). Hell, if you made an investment and did everything legally, would you want to compete against someone who didn't and who is driving down your investment?

You "hate" citizens who are complaining that their livelihood is impacted by illegals, but you don't hate the illegal that is the root of the problem? The way I see it you lobby to have every barricade taken down and every law removed or changed to give illegals a free hand to do what they want and to get what they want.

Old 08-11-2012, 04:42 AM

[quote]
Quote:
All it'll do is increase nominal wages for a select people, and decrease the real wages of everyone.
That is exactly what illegals have done - decreased the real wages for citizens.

Quote:
Immigration is a fantastic thing because it increases our labour force, creates jobs, lowers costs, increases the real wage, and brings even more delicious cuisine into our country.
If there are no jobs, there is no increase in the labor force. Keep you eye on the bouncing ball: We. have. massive. unemployment. Citizens. have. lost. their. jobs. These. jobs. may. never. come. back. With 1 million work visas to be issued, has Obama created 1 million jobs for those getting those visas that taxpayers don't know about? The reality is those work visas are just Obama's way to give illegals a legitimate piece of paper to be in the US.

Exactly what jobs will be created? In what sectors? At what levels? As I've said before, by the US allowing illegals into the country, did it cause an intellectual brain drain on Mexico? Are we harboring the best of the best?

If illegals have pulled down the real wage, exactly how will they raise wages back up? How does bringing MORE mexican cusine improve our country and economy? How can illegals refer to the United States as "our" country when they are in the country undocumented and illegally?

Quote:
Don't you have a heart? I want to lift us out of these hard times, and to do so we need to liberate our markets from all these tariffs.
Of course we have a heart, but it doesn't beat for illegals. How much more do you want from the taxpayer? We pay for your medical, we pay for your illegal childrens education, we pay for the children you give birth for in the US? Americans have also paid with their lives at the hands of illegals. Just how much more can you bleed us for? If those illegals who file tax returns for the US born children or can claim children that don't live in the US, taxpayers should be able to claim an additional "dependent" on their returns for funding illegals. Illegals continuously benefit at the expense of taxpayers. So I ask you again, just how much more do you want taxpayers to fund illegals?

Citizens are not interested in "lifting" illegals out of the hard times they created for themselves, or do you believe those hard times were the creation of Americans? We want to see citizens lifted out of the hard times that illegals have created for them. The hard times that fell on them when the economy tanked. The hard times they feel because of the lack of jobs available to them at a wage that allows them to live a decent life.

It's bad enough that we have a generation of American youth that have an entitlement attitude, but for illlegals to have an entitlement attitude, get those "entitlements", and keep making demands for more entitlements is beyong belief.

You have to understand that the standard of living of working citizens is generally higher than those of illegals. Higher standard of living means higher cost of living. If a citizen was making $25 an hour he cannot keep or maintain the standard of living he is accustomed to if forced to work for $10 an hour. At that rate he stands to lose much of what he has.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:58 AM

63,492 posts, read 29,531,883 times
Hmm, I guess we can't have delicious cuisine without illegal immigrants? There are no legal immigrants here from that same ethnic group that can prepare the same food? Do illegal immigrants have secret recipes? Just when you thought you have heard every excuse in the book for illegal immigration along comes a new and desperate one. Sorry, I just couldn't help but roar with laughter over that one. It made my day.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Hmm, I guess we can't have delicious cuisine without illegal immigrants? There are no legal immigrants here from that same ethnic group that can prepare the same food? Do illegal immigrants have secret recipes? Just when you thought you have heard every excuse in the book for illegal immigration along comes a new and desperate one. Sorry, I just couldn't help but roar with laughter over that one. It made my day.
It gave me a craving for a tamale.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:04 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,621,564 times
Cab drivers are only one of many being displaced by illegal aliens. I posted an article a couple of years ago in which a priest conveyed the phenomenal change in the Harlem workforce. He had been there many years, and was dismayed by the number of black workers being displaced by Hispanic illegal aliens. This is nationwide. Sadly, far too many black Americans believe the lie they've been fed, that illegal immigration is a civil rights issue, and opponents are racists. Indoctrination at its best.

I watched a video of a symposium with a Hispanic professor as the keynote speaker. During the Q&A session, a black woman stated that she supports illegal immigration because they are her "brothers and sisters, having the same roots, and the same issues." He quickly corrected her. He told her most Hispanics, illegal or otherwise, do not have the same roots as black Americans, nor are their issues the same. In fact, he stated they do not consider themselves as having ANY connection whatsoever. It was very interesting. I'll see if I can locate the video.

I can attest to the fact that many black Americans do in fact oppose illegal immigration, and see it for the detriment is it. Unfortunately, the media only offers a platform to proponents of illegals, such as Al Sharpton, Melissa Harris-Perry, and pandering members of the CBC. They don't allow the public to hear what I hear on a daily basis. In fact, many I have spoken with consider illegal immigration a greater threat to black Americans than Jim Crow. But, you would never know it, because their voices are not being heard, by design.

I also know for a fact Obama has lost many black votes due to his pandering to illegal aliens. Of course, he's only concerned with securing the Hispanic vote, because he assumes he has the black vote regardless. Granted, he will most likely get most black votes, but he won't get the turnout he received in 2008. Sadly, there really is no one to vote for. Republicans certainly haven't done anything to attract black voters given some of the comments they've made. So, I suppose most will just vote the Democratic ticket, as usual.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:39 AM

20,523 posts, read 15,970,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Cab drivers are only one of many being displaced by illegal aliens. I posted an article a couple of years ago in which a priest conveyed the phenomenal change in the Harlem workforce. He had been there many years, and was dismayed by the number of black workers being displaced by Hispanic illegal aliens. This is nationwide. Sadly, far too many black Americans believe the lie they've been fed, that illegal immigration is a civil rights issue, and opponents are racists. Indoctrination at its best.

I watched a video of a symposium with a Hispanic professor as the keynote speaker. During the Q&A session, a black woman stated that she supports illegal immigration because they are her "brothers and sisters, having the same roots, and the same issues." He quickly corrected her. He told her most Hispanics, illegal or otherwise, do not have the same roots as black Americans, nor are their issues the same. In fact, he stated they do not consider themselves as having ANY connection whatsoever. It was very interesting. I'll see if I can locate the video.

I can attest to the fact that many black Americans do in fact oppose illegal immigration, and see it for the detriment is it. Unfortunately, the media only offers a platform to proponents of illegals, such as Al Sharpton, Melissa Harris-Perry, and pandering members of the CBC. They don't allow the public to hear what I hear on a daily basis. In fact, many I have spoken with consider illegal immigration a greater threat to black Americans than Jim Crow. But, you would never know it, because their voices are not being heard, by design.

I also know for a fact Obama has lost many black votes due to his pandering to illegal aliens. Of course, he's only concerned with securing the Hispanic vote, because he assumes he has the black vote regardless. Granted, he will most likely get most black votes, but he won't get the turnout he received in 2008. Sadly, there really is no one to vote for. Republicans certainly haven't done anything to attract black voters given some of the comments they've made. So, I suppose most will just vote the Democratic ticket, as usual.
Blacks are more scared over illegal aliens than over Jim Crow laws? JCL were before my time but if it was anything like my Irish family was treated, JC was some real bad stuff. I'm guessing older peoples memories fade over what happened 50 years ago tho me not being Black, I can't say.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:43 AM

20,523 posts, read 15,970,840 times
Quote:
It's because times are hard that we need competition and free enterprise. Cartelizing the labour force won't help. All it'll do is increase nominal wages for a select people, and decrease the real wages of everyone. Immigration is a fantastic thing because it increases our labour force, creates jobs, lowers costs, increases the real wage, and brings even more delicious cuisine into our country.

I can no more prescribe the USA to increase its tariffs on immigration than I can prescribe it to increase tariffs on vehicles or sugar. These tariffs harm consumers at the expense of benefiting local vehicle and sugar makers. Similarly lowering legal migration and cracking down on illegal migration will only end up hurting the layman.

Don't you have a heart? I want to lift us out of these hard times, and to do so we need to liberate our markets from all these tariffs.
It's called supply and demand. I read someplace what helped kill off the serf way of life in Europe 100's of years ago was the Plagues; they cut down many of the workers so the nobles and so on HAD to pay better money and the serfs that were still alive could DEMAND better working conditions.

I have a "heart" for Americans; NOT illegal aliens; let them go home and deal with it. We don't owe them squat. You ain't talking about Mexico I bet; there more jobs there than in the US in 2012. Sheesh!

Old 08-12-2012, 12:26 AM

153 posts, read 131,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
What do you mean by "our union"? and "removal from society"? Should the government ship those citizens to Mexico?
Well, I'm not for deporting anyone. However.. Actually sure. If you want to deport taxi drivers I'll pretend not to look. I mean, as long as we're deporting people, let's deport people who actually harm our union.

Quote:
In NYC a medallion costs up to $1 million dollars. There is no time limit. It's like saying you buy a house and you can own it for 10 years. There are no restrictions on where a taxi driver or legit car service can operate. A taxi driver or licensed car service can cross state lines.
And you don't see how a medallion costing $1 million dollars restricts entry into the taxi business?

Quote:
I have never heard of taxi drivers lobbying to restrict competition - which would be a legitimate car service that serves corporations.
Really? Taxi lobbys are one of the strongest cartels in cities. You've really never heard about this?

Quote:
What or who exactly is their competition?
Other taxis! Namely everyone who can't afford to buy one of the limited million dollar medallions.

Quote:
Are they lobbying against public transport?
Certainly, but mainly it's other taxis.

Quote:
Does McDonald's lobby to restrict Wendys or Burger King? Does Walmart lobby against K-Mart?
Yes actually, businesses lobby against one another all the time. Currently the big battle is between Amazon and the traditional stores vs. Ebay and co.

Here is one break down of the fight, if anyone is curious.

Quote:
Hell, if you made an investment and did everything legally, would you want to compete against someone who didn't and who is driving down your investment?
The existence of medallions serves no socially useful purpose. They are simply to restrict the number of taxi cabs on the streets, and thus increase what taxis can charge. These 'legal' taxis may cry foul play to 'illegal' taxicabs for not following the 'law', but in this case the law isn't fair. It isn't even law. It's an outright mockery of the legal system in order to give one group of taxi drivers an unfair advantage.

Quote:
You "hate" citizens who are complaining that their livelihood is impacted by illegals, but you don't hate the illegal that is the root of the problem?
I hate most taxi drivers who raise the price of taxi services above the market optimal rate. Yes, I hate cartels. I hate OPEC. I hate the diamond guys (De Beers). I hate the domestic sugar industry.

Quote:
The way I see it you lobby to have every barricade taken down and every law removed or changed to give illegals a free hand to do what they want and to get what they want.
Guilty actually. I want artificial barricades to the marketplace removed and for firms, and/or the individuals forming them, to conduct their business without them.

Old 08-12-2012, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
It's called supply and demand. I read someplace what helped kill off the serf way of life in Europe 100's of years ago was the Plagues; they cut down many of the workers so the nobles and so on HAD to pay better money and the serfs that were still alive could DEMAND better working conditions.
Cringed.

Actually, contrary to popular conceptions of the middle ages, the feudal system was actually not as bad as people thought it was. In fact, a popular theory for why England and Europe reached the industrial age before China or India is that its Feudal system encouraged constant migration between the various realms which allowed the free flow of information. Not to mention that it served to discouraged nobles from taxing people too much as people would migrate elsewhere if they did. Note that at this point India and China were considered more civilized to the then-backwaters of Europe.

Serfdom is poorly understood as well. People today always complain about how serfs were tied to the land. The reality is a bit more ambiguous. While serfs were tied to the land, they were far from slaves. There were limits to the powers of noblemen, and they weren't entitled to the first born daughter of their serfs or anything like that. In fact a serf could terminate his 'contract', as it were, if he migrated to a town and lived there for a year.

Note that slavery in eastern europe and Russia were different from serfdom in western Europe.

Who taught you the plagues helped Europe? Have you been reading Malthus? That guy is a whacko who continually fails to appreciate the ingenuity of mankind to use his resources more carefully.

Quote:
I have a "heart" for Americans; NOT illegal aliens; let them go home and deal with it. We don't owe them squat. You ain't talking about Mexico I bet; there more jobs there than in the US in 2012. Sheesh!
You certainly have an odd way of showing your love by decreasing the real wages of Americans.

Old 08-12-2012, 12:56 AM

On a side note. Do you edit your posts in any special way soft? I notice that I get a quote error whenever I quote you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post

That is exactly what illegals have done - decreased the real wages for citizens.
No, they've increased the wages by lowering the cost of production.

Quote:
If there are no jobs, there is no increase in the labor force. Keep you eye on the bouncing ball: We. have. massive. unemployment. Citizens. have. lost. their. jobs. These. jobs. may. never. come. back.
Jobs are not finite. An increase in the labour force will create jobs by tapping into the benefits of specialization and decreasing labour costs. This will allow employers to hire more people and invest elsewhere in their business.

You really want to lower unemployment? Let's get rid of the capital gains tax.

Quote:
With 1 million work visas to be issued, has Obama created 1 million jobs for those getting those visas that taxpayers don't know about?
Again, you seem to think taxpayers are mutually exclusive of illegal aliens. They aren't. At minimum they pay sales tax. I argue that they also pay income (federal/state), property taxes, and payroll taxes. You may disagree on the latter, but at the very minimum they pay sales tax and are tax payers.

Quote:
Exactly what jobs will be created? In what sectors? At what levels?
I'm not a central planner. I can't tell you where a given job will be created or which firm will do so. If I had that sort of knowledge I'd be playing the stock market and hitting it as a billionaire. I can however tell you that there will be an increase in jobs as we see the rewards of trade and specialization.

Quote:
As I've said before, by the US allowing illegals into the country, did it cause an intellectual brain drain on Mexico? Are we harboring the best of the best?
Mexico does suffer from a lack of professionals in many fields actually. It has the lowest numbers of scientists of any latin american country if memory serves.

But that doesn't matter. Low skilled workers can be of use. The fact that they are employed means that domestic employers value the skills of migrants, illegal or legal.

Quote:

If illegals have pulled down the real wage, exactly how will they raise wages back up?
Real wages weren't pulled down though. At best we see nominal wages lowered. Real wages have increased as the cost of production has lowered.

Quote:
How does bringing MORE mexican cusine improve our country and economy?
The cuisine part was a joke. Although in all honesty the USA does have one of the better mixes of cuisine in the world due to all the migrants. A rule of thumb is that the poorer a given country is, the better cuisine they likely have in the USA. This is because, in poverty, ingredients are costly relative to wages and people need to buy mainly foodstuffs like rice. Their is little money for spices or other flavor. As such there is a strong incentive for them to learn every little bit of the ingredients they can get to make yummy food.

Quote:
How can illegals refer to the United States as "our" country when they are in the country undocumented and illegally?
Like this: This is my country and I like it very much despite all the socialists, democrats, and taxi cab drivers who insist on making life harder for the rest of us.

Quote:
Of course we have a heart, but it doesn't beat for illegals. How much more do you want from the taxpayer?
Not one cent.

Quote:
So I ask you again, just how much more do you want taxpayers to fund illegals?
Not one cent.

Quote:
Citizens are not interested in "lifting" illegals out of the hard times they created for themselves, or do you believe those hard times were the creation of Americans?
And you don't have to be interested. That's the beautiful thing about trade. You don't have to care about others to benefit them. It is not because of the benevolence of the breadmaker we have bread.

Quote:
We want to see citizens lifted out of the hard times that illegals have created for them.
Bernanke is an illegal? Damn, I never knew.

Quote:
It's bad enough that we have a generation of American youth that have an entitlement attitude, but for illlegals to have an entitlement attitude, get those "entitlements", and keep making demands for more entitlements is beyong belief.
Again, not one cent. Keep your tax money. Donate it to a charity that only helps citizens. I wouldn't call you racist if you only wanted to fund the education of citizens or only red headed people from Iowa. I'm not asking for your tax money. You earned it, you keep it.

Quote:
You have to understand that the standard of living of working citizens is generally higher than those of illegals. Higher standard of living means higher cost of living. If a citizen was making $25 an hour he cannot keep or maintain the standard of living he is accustomed to if forced to work for $10 an hour. At that rate he stands to lose much of what he has.
This is amazing to you I am sure, but illegals don't decrease real wages. They raise them. Real wages is the amount of goods and services one can command. In other words, migrants raise everyone's standard of living. No one loses in trade. We all win, even if we're completely selfish about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.