Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 09:25 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,605,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
What part of no one is pulled over just based on their looks, didn't you get? Where in the law does it say that is what they are allowed to do? In fact, racial profiling is prohibited. Who is getting pulled over every week by someone different? Please cite these cases. You don't have to prove that you're a citizen anyway. Once your provide valid I.D. the question of citizenship doesn't even come into play. If one is a legal immigrant they would have the proper documents on them also. Or at least they should as it is the law.

Get a grip and stop drinking the pro-illegal kool-aid.
I don't know about Alabama, but the Arizona one had some ridiculous things to be on the look out. That law said they could pull someone over if they suspected they were illegal (you don't think looks would go into this?), if they had accents (what if they're tourists or naturalized citizens?) or if there are too many people in one car (have they never heard of car pool?). The law should have simply said, if you're arrested they can then ask for your status instead of making cops trying to deliberately stop people they suspect of being illegal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 09:32 PM

2,475 posts, read 2,077,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
I don't know about Alabama, but the Arizona one had some ridiculous things to be on the look out. That law said they could pull someone over if they suspected they were illegal (you don't think looks would go into this?), if they had accents (what if they're tourists or naturalized citizens?) or if there are too many people in one car (have they never heard of car pool?). The law should have simply said, if you're arrested they can then ask for your status instead of making cops trying to deliberately stop people they suspect of being illegal.
You're not actually quoting AB 1070, you are quoting advocates hyperbole making claims on what they believe vs what actually is. This is directly from 1070
Quote:
B. FOR ANY LAWFUL CONTACT MADE BY A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICIAL OR AGENCY
21 OF THIS STATE OR A COUNTY, CITY, TOWN OR OTHER POLITICAL SUBDIVISION OF THIS
22 STATE WHERE REASONABLE SUSPICION EXISTS THAT THE PERSON IS AN ALIEN WHO IS
23 UNLAWFULLY PRESENT IN THE UNITED STATES, A REASONABLE ATTEMPT SHALL BE MADE,
24 WHEN PRACTICABLE, TO DETERMINE THE IMMIGRATION STATUS OF THE PERSON
. THE
25 PERSON'S IMMIGRATION STATUS SHALL BE VERIFIED WITH THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT
26 PURSUANT TO 8 UNITED STATES CODE SECTION 1373(c).
It clearly states there must first be lawful contact, not that they can be pulled over for their "looks".

Old 12-08-2011, 10:24 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,307,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Absolutely, but we're talking about the law here and illegal immigration. If you want a thread on racial profiling, you can start one.

The real point here is that illegal immigration has become a politically popular issue to attack, but it's an issue that has been overblown for a while. Illegal immigration is gradually declining. People need to focus on the real problems, not illegals.
What? What? LOL A real problem IS illegal immigration. Do you know how I started wondering about it? When it made its way to my city. People talk about illegal immigration when it doesn't affect them. Yes, there are other issues, but illegal immigration is one of those things that if you don't nip it in the bud in the moment, it will just go under the radar and continue problems for later.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:58 PM

12 posts, read 12,618 times
This thread should read>

"Alabama about to repeal strict illegal immigration law: the New York Lawyers Didn't Like It"

[IMG]http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/1792/newyork*******sattack.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-09-2011, 01:11 AM

1,200 posts, read 1,605,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
You're not actually quoting AB 1070, you are quoting advocates hyperbole making claims on what they believe vs what actually is. This is directly from 1070
It clearly states there must first be lawful contact, not that they can be pulled over for their "looks".
I was stating what I had read from an article. The cops were complaining as each county had a different way of using what they called reasonable suspicion which included accents and number of people inside vehicle. As I said before it would be easier if they only asked arrested people. Did you not see Joe Arpayos scandal? He was so busy trying to get illegals that his department ignored about 400 sexual abuse reports.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:17 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,731,734 times
I seriously feel dumber after reading this thread. Negating everything the other side says, whether it's logical or not, making strawman arguments everywhere you can - this is not a way to debate. Being angry is not a justification, people get angry all the time. Regardless of what some seem to be thinking, this is not a contest on who makes the most extreme statement or mocks the other side the most. You claim you're the more honest side, yet you both use the same dishonest discussion tactics.
The thread will be closed if this continues.
Yac.

Old 12-09-2011, 06:36 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,324,534 times
Quote:
Please cite the part of the Arizona law that said cops could pull someone over if they suspected they were illegal just by looks? How in the world would the cops know by looking at a car if someone was illegal inside? Where in the law did it say that anyone would be suspect based on having an accent or many people in a car?

The law actually DID state that if arrested based on not having a valid DL or I.D. or not being able to verify one then and only then could someone's status in this country be questioned. You are so ill-informed on this. You absolutely have been listenening to the pro-illegal propaganda without reading the law itself.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:41 AM

2,475 posts, read 2,077,037 times
Quote:
I was stating what I had read from an article. The cops were complaining as each county had a different way of using what they called reasonable suspicion which included accents and number of people inside vehicle. As I said before it would be easier if they only asked arrested people. Did you not see Joe Arpayos scandal? He was so busy trying to get illegals that his department ignored about 400 sexual abuse reports.
OK, so what you read from an article, which was as I stated advocate hyperbole. Now it is "reasonable suspicion" being different in each county? You are still using hyperbole from your article. The number of people within a car can not exceed the amount of seats and seat belts or the manufacturers occupant load, for this, yes an LEO can pull the vehicle over legally. This has nothing to do with reasonable suspicion or accent. According to 1070, they can only ask people they detain, they must have reasonable suspicion, once detained, and then they must make a reasonable attempt to determine their status when practicable. "Reasonable suspicion" in your usage is out of its context.

The rest of your comment doesn't pertain to this thread.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:49 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,848,211 times
Quote:
I see you have been drinking the pro-illegal kool-aid. Let me set you straight. No one is pulled over in Alabama or any other state just because of their looks. You are spouting nonsense. I would also ask you what would you have to fear anyway if pulled over? Don't you normally have a valid DL when pulled over?

It doesn't bother me in the least if the cops are looking for a white female who committed a crime and I happen to fit that description. I don't commit crimes and I am an American citizen with a valid DL. I am happy to cooperate with LE when needed.
Because what are you going to do if the police don't believe your DL is real. The day the new Arizona was signed (ie before the stricter standards), a U.S. Citizen, resident of Arizona, Truck Driver was arrested and detained at truck inspection spot when the police believed his DL and documentation was bad. It wasn't until his wife was able to produce a birth certificate many hours later that he was released.

Then we have this case in Alabama.

Alabama red-faced as second foreign car boss held under immigration law | World news | guardian.co.uk
Yada was stopped in Leeds, Alabama, at a checkpoint set up by police to catch unlicenced drivers. He was ticketed on the spot, despite the fact that he showed an international driver's licence, a valid passport and a US work permit.

It is not only illegal immigrants who are paying the price for these draconian laws.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:51 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,521,960 times
Quote:
I see you have been drinking the pro-illegal kool-aid. Let me set you straight. No one is pulled over in Alabama or any other state just because of their looks. .
If this is really what you believe, it is you who is drinking kool-aid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration