Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 08:33 PM

4,829 posts, read 7,786,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I would say that it is a given that her parents have worked illegally in our country and probably she did also. How else would they survive and pay for a college education?
Don't they get free college education?

Old 09-27-2011, 09:31 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,886,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
We can estimate based on what laws she has been breaking. I, like most everyone, break a variety of laws, but my breaking those laws doesn't indicate some sort of total willingness to break the law or hurt people on a whim. The laws she has broken would be laws she would not be breaking if she were granted citizenship.

No one is talking about guarantees. Her pursuing an education indicates that she aims to be productive at the least.
I love how all Americans get reduced to the status of criminal just to defend illegals.

I have news for you: most Americans do not break a variety of laws. Most of us don't forge documents like her parents or drive without licensure or insurance as she and her parents did. If caught most of us don't run to media to portray ourselves as victims after we knowingly break the law.

You're ignoring the fact that she was totally willing to break the law at every turn. She could have entered here as a foreign student. This would have even given her the right to drive and get insurance. She did not do that. She was driving without insurance. That most certainly indicates a willingness to hurt people. What if she had someone? Not only would the poor soul be hurt physically but they'd be out financially as well since she would not be able to pay their medical bills.

She took risks. She got caught. Who cares what she wants? If she wants to be productive let her back to Mexico where she has citizenship.

This article sums up the case nicely:

Illegal Immigration (Emphasis on Illegal): The Case of Jessica Colotl | The Stir
Quote:
no one forced her to lie about her illegal status.

No one forced her to drive illegally without a license and the required skill set to avoid obstructing traffic.

No one forced her to perpetuate a felony lie to law enforcement officers.

No one forced her to allegedly give misleading information on a college application and fraudulently gain in-state tuition subsidized by the legal tax-paying citizens of Georgia.

No one prevented her from leaving the country and seeking to gain entrance to our country legally.

No one.

Old 09-27-2011, 09:40 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,218,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
I love how all Americans get reduced to the status of criminal just to defend illegals.
It's not a reduction, it's where they are.

Quote:
I have news for you: most Americans do not break a variety of laws.
Really? Guess the percentages of youngsters out there who drink underage. Try marijuana? Speed on the highways? Not to mention more serious crimes - I think like 10% of the population admits to drinking and driving (so we can assume it's considerably more in reality). If you actually think that the majority of Americans are breaking no laws, you are kidding yourself.

Quote:
Most of us don't forge documents like her parents or drive without licensure or insurance as she and her parents did. If caught most of us don't run to media to portray ourselves as victims after we knowingly break the law.
Most of them don't run to the media, either. But, sticking with weed, plenty of activists to take the issue to media. I mean, that's what you should do if you don't think a law is fair.

Quote:
You're ignoring the fact that she was totally willing to break the law at every turn.
Yeah, I tend to ignore "facts" that you make up.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:00 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,886,948 times
Quote:

Really? Guess the percentages of youngsters out there who drink underage. Try marijuana? Speed on the highways? Not to mention more serious crimes - I think like 10% of the population admits to drinking and driving (so we can assume it's considerably more in reality). If you actually think that the majority of Americans are breaking no laws, you are kidding yourself.
So that means we don't have enough criminals? We need to import more? I'm honestly horrified that someone who is allegedly studying to be a lawyer seems to regard lawbreaking of all sorts as both normal and essentially acceptable.

The majority of Americans aren't working off the books. They aren't driving without licensure or insurance. And I daresay they wouldn't dream of moving to Mexico and doing so.

Quote:
Most of them don't run to the media, either. But, sticking with weed, plenty of activists to take the issue to media. I mean, that's what you should do if you don't think a law is fair.
What part of this law is unfair? Should we all get to drive without licensure or insurance when they are ways for us do so legally? Do we all get to commit felonies and lie to police about where we live? Should we get to lie on applications to college and apply for instate tution if we don't qualify?

Quote:
She broke the law multiple times. But you can add that to the list of things you're willing to ignore including the cost we all pay for illegals and the fact that she could have avoided all these problems if she followed a legal means of entrance to this country.

You have made absolutely no case as to why she should be permitted to skip the immigration lines. She used our educational services without paying for them. She lies to the police. She put all of us at risk by driving without insurance.

She and her parents should finally put an end to their lawbreaking and go home already.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:12 PM

47,525 posts, read 70,052,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
LOL I know.

American non violent offenders get stiffer penalties than illegals.
Its a shame.
Imagine!

Some poor citizen whose parking meter expired runs into far more hassles than illegals coming here illegally, taking jobs illegally and breaking dozens of laws.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:14 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,658,589 times
Quote:
No, citizens have a legal right to live in this country, while illegal aliens do not. Therefore, when you compare citizens to illegals, you are in fact relegating citizens to their level of criminality, which is flawed. What law does a citizen break simply by being here?

Quote:
How does any of this relate to illegal immigration, or the OP? If you cannot defend illegals without comparing them to citizens, do you actually have a defense?

Quote:
As opposed to simply ignoring “unfair” laws? Now that’s a switch.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:16 PM

47,525 posts, read 70,052,176 times
Quote:

And no one is campaigning for the rights of Americans to be rewarded for breaking whatever laws they're breaking. Look at Bernie Maddoff, no one is insisting he be rewarded because he committed a crime. Someone who speeds pays their traffic ticket, no one's whining about that. Tax evaders can end up in prison even though they are very harmless types. Bad check writers can spend time in jail.

Yet illegals break many laws and cost the taxpayers many billions of dollars yet expect to be rewarded very nicely. They have the biggest entitlement attitude of all lawbreakers.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:24 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,814,142 times
Quote:
Do you deny they drive without licenses or insurance? Forge documents? Work off the books? Skip out on medical bills?

What laws do you think illegals should be allowed to break? Because your answer seems to be nearly all them just as long they don't murder or rape unless we give them American citizenship. That's what's complete drivel. If you want to be an American you don't start by showing complete disdain for American laws.
I guess you have never been to FL. The land of the uninsured car driver.

It is estimated that 1 out 3 FL drivers has no car insurance.

If they get pulled over and have no car insurance they get a ticket and off they go on their merry way. The car is never impounded so not much incentive to have car insurance.

And for the most part they're American born, mostly FL rednecks and lowlife transplants from up north.

How is that for complete disdain of the law? And they're born here.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:31 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,658,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I guess you have never been to FL. The land of the uninsured car driver.

It is estimated that 1 out 3 FL drivers has no car insurance.

If they get pulled over and have no car insurance they get a ticket and off they go on their merry way. The car is never impounded so not much incentive to have car insurance.

And for the most part they're American born, mostly FL rednecks and lowlife transplants from up north.

How is that for complete disdain of the law? And they're born here.
Thanks for the heads-up. In the future, I’ll try to keep my distance from cars with Florida tags.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:06 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,218,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
No, citizens have a legal right to live in this country, while illegal aliens do not. Therefore, when you compare citizens to illegals, you are in fact relegating citizens to their level of criminality, which is flawed. What law does a citizen break simply by being here?
Man, why do I even bother responding to you? My point, of course, is that the average person is in fact a lawbreaker of some sort - they are different laws, but laws nonetheless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
How does any of this relate to illegal immigration, or the OP? If you cannot defend illegals without comparing them to citizens, do you actually have a defense?
Apples and oranges, amirite?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration