Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 05:59 PM

1,575 posts, read 1,739,826 times

Advertisements

High school senior Joaquin Luna, 18, dressed in a suit, kissed family members, went into the bathroom and shot himself, according to his brother, Diyer Mendoza. In the letters he said he had lost hope in the chances for the Dream Act, which is legislation that would have legalized illegal-immigrant students and young adults but which was blocked in Congress last year.

“He was actually doing this for the cause, mainly the Dream Act,” Mr. Mendoza said. “He was doing this to show politicians, to show that something had to be done because there are a lot of kids out there in the same situation.”

The case highlights the hundreds of thousands of illegal-immigrant students who are caught between a decision their parents made when they were young and the situation with U.S. law.

Family: Illegal-immigrant student martyred himself for Dream Act - Washington Times

It is unfortunate that the selfish parents of this young man did not think of the consequences that their poor decision would have on their children.

It is also unfortunate that the offspring of these selfish "parents" blame everyone but those who brought them here illegally.

May he RIP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 06:03 PM

50,584 posts, read 47,414,627 times
Being "desperate" doesn't trump any law. Suicide isn't a "noble cause", it is a cowardly act. He had options, he just didn't like them.

Think about what he left for his family as far as guilt. Blaming the Country his family invaded illegally is not the proper channel.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:19 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,694,086 times
There are wealthy people in every single nation in the world, poor and rich. Many of them come from humble backgrounds.

The difference is that they have a backbone and felt like they had control over their fate...and they do.

This victim mentality a lot of these folks who come from South of the border have is one of the main reasons why their countries will most likely be the same way they are....because people refuse to fight for a better tomorrow. They just up and leave.

They arrive in this country and demand to have the same rights that American do. They think they need to be afforded the same benefits as those who were born here.

I want to go to Harvard too. I have the grades. Can I afford it? No. Should I kill myself over it to "make a statement"? No.

I can go to a cheaper school and get a degree...I do not think I am a victim of anything. Life su cks. Things don't always go your way but you have the choice to either HATE it and kill yourself (among other things) or move on.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:34 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,353,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleRain_1 View Post
High school senior Joaquin Luna, 18, dressed in a suit, kissed family members, went into the bathroom and shot himself, according to his brother, Diyer Mendoza. In the letters he said he had lost hope in the chances for the Dream Act, which is legislation that would have legalized illegal-immigrant students and young adults but which was blocked in Congress last year.

“He was actually doing this for the cause, mainly the Dream Act,” Mr. Mendoza said. “He was doing this to show politicians, to show that something had to be done because there are a lot of kids out there in the same situation.”

The case highlights the hundreds of thousands of illegal-immigrant students who are caught between a decision their parents made when they were young and the situation with U.S. law.

Family: Illegal-immigrant student martyred himself for Dream Act - Washington Times

It is unfortunate that the selfish parents of this young man did not think of the consequences that their poor decision would have on their children.

It is also unfortunate that the offspring of these selfish "parents" blame everyone but those who brought them here illegally.

May he RIP.
Yes, and the pro-illegals will come out of the woodwork now blaming our government and politicians for this rather than where the blame belongs....on the parents.

Old 11-28-2011, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Yes, and the pro-illegals will come out of the woodwork now blaming our government and politicians for this rather than where the blame belongs....on the parents.
Of course they will because the illegals that have invaded this country come equipped with an entitlement/victim mentality. With that comes the mentality that nothing is ever their fault or their responsibility.

If my parents selfishly and deliberately put me in harms way without thinking of the consequences I would suffer as a result of their self serving actions, I'm not so sure I could ever forgive them, let alone attempt to make them heroes while blaming the citizens of an entire nation for wanting their laws enforced.

Old 11-28-2011, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Being "desperate" doesn't trump any law. Suicide isn't a "noble cause", it is a cowardly act. He had options, he just didn't like them.

Think about what he left for his family as far as guilt. Blaming the Country his family invaded illegally is not the proper channel.
I agree. However, keep in mind that illegal aliens aka criminals are people whose mentality does not allow them to think rationally or take responsibility for themselves or their actions.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:44 PM

50,584 posts, read 47,414,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleRain_1 View Post
I agree. However, keep in mind that illegal aliens aka criminals are people whose mentality does not allow them to think rationally or take responsibility for themselves or their actions.
It's pretty confusing as to the plight of the people that come here illegally. I know that many are desperate. I know that the living conditions for those that are willing to die to come here are bad. There are those that pay big dollars to come here to cheat the system. The system is not flawed. The living conditions they come from are flawed. Out of control breeding? Is that the US tax payers fault? Somehow it is our problem but it sure is not our fault. The Government of these Nations, are they our fault? No, are they our problem? Yes.

If we want to increase immigration we don't need to do it aka poor via the land bridge linking us to the South.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:49 PM

2,075 posts, read 2,143,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
It's pretty confusing as to the plight of the people that come here illegally. I know that many are desperate. I know that the living conditions for those that are willing to die to come here are bad. There are those that pay big dollars to come here to cheat the system. The system is not flawed. The living conditions they come from are flawed. Out of control breeding? Is that the US tax payers fault? Somehow it is our problem but it sure is not our fault. The Government of these Nations, are they our fault? No, are they our problem? Yes.

If we want to increase immigration we don't need to do it aka poor via the land bridge linking us to the South.
Uh, doesn't the term "martyer" sound a little like a
page out of the "middle east" playbook ?? Im sorry
the kid killed himself, but, these people have a long
history of "spinning" sob stories.

How is it our fault ?? How damn dumb were the parents not to see this happening? (after all, he did
put on a suit. right?) How did a starving poor bunch
of illegal's come up with a hand gun ? Why didn't the
other kids run tell the parents ?

I don't want to sound callused, but, I think I used all
my sympathy tears up a few weeks ago. The ""Dream
Act" reads out like a cheap dime store novel anyway.

Ok. you can throw the rocks at me now............

Old 11-29-2011, 06:15 AM

4,866 posts, read 5,694,086 times
One last thing...He shot himself right?

I thought it was a FELONY for an illegal alien to own a gun...

http://www.justice.gov/usao/ut/psn/d...ts/guncard.pdf

"I. POSSESSION OF A FIREARM OR AMMUNITION BY A PROHIBITED
PERSON:
18 USC § 922(g) & (n). Punishable by up to 10 years imprisonment. May receive
minimum sentence of 15 years without parole if offender has three or more prior
convictions for a felony crime of violence (e.g. burglary, robbery, assault, possession
of offensive weapons) and/or drug trafficking felony:
(...)
Alien - (Includes illegal aliens and aliens lawfully admitted under non-immigrant visas, i.e., those
aliens not admitted for permanent residence. This provision does not prohibit aliens who lawfully
possess a so-called “green card” from possessing guns or ammunition.)

Old 11-29-2011, 06:23 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,369,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
This clearly means we need more gun control. The moonbats will come out of the woodwork on that one as well. How did these crimmigrants get a gun anyway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration