Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 02:32 PM

1,937 posts, read 4,713,828 times

Advertisements

cpg, You hit the nail On the proverbial head !!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2011, 03:49 PM

5,029 posts, read 7,233,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I think the crux of the issue is that 9% of the state is unemployed, yet we are essentially sanctioning people to be here illegally, thereby depriving legal residents of jobs.

Walk onto a construction site today, and almost all the labor is Latino. That in itself is neither here nor there. But when you realize that a large proportion of those workers are probably there illegally, you begin to realize how many jobs have been displaced because government and the private sector decided to look the other way. The same is true of menial jobs in agriculture, hospitality, and retail. Whenever an illegal holds one of those jobs in Alabama, that means an Alabamian is out of work. Not only that, but the wage scale for illegals is lower, which keeps a downward pressure on wages. That's no bogus theory. It's Economics 101, the Law of Supply and Demand.

To be honest, nobody really cared in 2007, when Birmingham's unemployment was at an unheard of 2.4%. Today it's a different issue entirely. To sit and decry this legislation and to simultaneously worry about the economic lot of blue-collar workers is contradictory. The two issues are inextricably linked.
I agree with your post somewhat, but I think placing the blame of losing blue collar jobs to illegals isn't the whole issue-the culprit in this is the contractors that go out of their way to hire cheap, suspect labor. The illegals (for lack of a better term) are just taking what's offered to them (they don't hire themselves) and are often times taken advantage of. The illegals don't cause wages to decline-the contractors do by paying them less and by purposely not hiring locals.

When unemployment again drops to 2.4% (soon I hope) and deep pocket contractors start complaining about the lack of labor, what do you want to bet much of this bill will be rescinded?

Like I said, parts of the bill has merit. What I don't like is the idea that someone can be detained just because an LEO "suspects" he's not here legally.

Old 06-11-2011, 03:55 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,182,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
I agree with your post somewhat, but I think placing the blame of losing blue collar jobs to illegals isn't the whole issue-the culprit in this is the contractors that go out of their way to hire cheap, suspect labor. The illegals (for lack of a better term) are just taking what's offered to them (they don't hire themselves) and are often times taken advantage of. The illegals don't cause wages to decline-the contractors do by paying them less and by purposely not hiring locals.

When unemployment again drops to 2.4% (soon I hope) and deep pocket contractors start complaining about the lack of labor, what do you want to bet much of this bill will be rescinded?

Like I said, parts of the bill has merit. What I don't like is the idea that someone can be detained just because an LEO "suspects" he's not here legally.
Oh, I totally agree that employers have to brought to heel on this matter. After all, if a contractor can hire illegals at 40% of the labor costs and the government looks the other way, then what do you think he'll do? So if we make the employer accountable, the illegal issue vanishes almost overnight.

I also have profound issues with the issue of being detained simply because LEO don't like the look of somebody. The chief point behind my post, however, was to provide a frame of reference for the pious, kneejerk do-gooders who don't really want to think about the larger economic questions of illegal immigrants coming into our state.

Old 06-11-2011, 04:13 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,869,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post

The only reason law enforcement would "suspect" someone is here illegally is if they don't have license and registration. As citizens we are required to have those with us when we are driving. I'm glad this bill is going after employers because I agree with you. Without the jobs, they won't be here. Then citizens can support their families again.

Old 06-11-2011, 05:00 PM

110 posts, read 183,043 times
It may be optimistic in the extreme to think that law enforcement would only "suspect" someone who does not have license and registration. And who will be stopped to check for license and registration???
I don't know if the provision stands, but at one time in the evolution of this "legislation" there was a provision that joe citizen could sue local law enforcement personnel for inadequate enforcement. Now there's some "teeth" to it to see that everyone gets their bag limit.
There is a mean tone to this legislation, and to the discussion of it in this thread that is sad.
There are solutions to these problems but they require open hearts and minds, and a willingness to look beyond our prejudices.

Old 06-11-2011, 05:23 PM

2,476 posts, read 2,605,211 times
The bottom line is..Politicians don't want to "offend" the latino vote....Which I find odd....
If your latino and a citizen of America.....Why would you be offended?
Unless your allegiance is to your "old country" and if thats the case...GO BACK!

This govt. screws its citizens in favor of the non-citizen...Pathetic!

*California spent 6 billion dollars last yr on illegals...do the math across the country..Insane!

50,100,150,200 billion aprox....Disgusting.

And to all the brain storms out there who say.."well thats why we need to legalize them"...really......Um so we legalize 15 million "illegals" with no education and no real highend job skills......Do you think they will qualify for LOTS of govt. assistance....OHHHHHH YES.

So that means we just legalized 15 million more leeches to suck off the system that is broke.
Believe it...The dems will instantly try and get these people on the govt. welfare teet.

We need a real fence,army on the border and employer crack down...

We are the most powerful country in the history of the world and we can't even protect our own border!

All the families of people(s) that have been killed or injured by illegals should start a class action suit and sue the federal govt. for willfully not protecting its citizens.

Old 06-11-2011, 05:32 PM

110 posts, read 183,043 times
Oh yeah - THAT is exactly it!
There are solutions to these problems but they require open hearts and minds, and a willingness to look beyond our prejudices.

Old 06-11-2011, 05:39 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,806,783 times
When unemployment was low, the housing market was booming and the economy was doing well, this country did everything short of send invitations to Mexicans to come here and work. People hired them. Everyone loved their new $200k 2500sqft home, their cheap restaurant meals, their cheap housekeeper, their cheap landscaper, their cheap nicely packaged boneless skinless chicken breasts... All work likely done by an illegal immigrant. Now things are tough, jobs are in short supply and we just expect them to go home? Frankly, we all made this bed. Not the government. Sure they played a part by bending to the big business want for cheap labor. But the combination of America's love of cheap products/services and high profit margins are the real culprits in my opinion.

Old 06-11-2011, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavoufl View Post
Oh yeah - THAT is exactly it!
Well, that is one of those statements that sound all pious and the whatnot, but is really a bunch of empty-headed nonsense.

Let's dissect, shall we?

"...look beyond our prejudices."

First off, let's say this. It is quite possible to support diversity and oppose illegal immigration. In fact, I would be willing to bet that you would find a very minute number of Alabamians who have any issue whatsoever with Latinos who are either citizens or have a legal residency status. At the same time, the United States has a sovereign right and a duty to its citizens to limit the number of people who cross its frontiers and control the way in which they do it--a right and duty that has always been enshrined in law. Why this simple fact eludes people is beyond me.

"...open hearts and minds."

Actually, that bit of pabulum only makes sense if we are encountering a situation entirely without precedent. That being said, all we have to do is look at how the illegal immigrant population has stretched social services in states such as California to the breaking point, to the point that the entire state is teetering on the edge of bankruptcy. With that in mind, there is such a thing as being so open minded that one's brains fall out.

Oh. And another thing. Why don't we ask an unemployed construction worker, factory worker, or teenager how they feel about having open hearts and minds for illegals who are willing to compete for jobs at rock-bottom wages? After all, we're in a state with an unemployment rate of 9.1%. We have roughly 120,000 illegal immigrants, most of whom are working. When you realize that the state of Alabama has a total of 190,000 unemployed persons, then that means that illegal immigrants account for 63% of that total number. I recognize that getting rid of all 120,000 illegals won't necessarily correlate to 120,000 Alabamians being hired. But it would make a very substantial dent in the unemployment picture in this state.

In fact, the only people I know who really oppose this ban are the ones whose jobs can't be immediately taken from them in the factory line or on the job site. Hey, that's the advantage of being a university professor or lawyer. One has the luxury of saying high-minded things, safe in the knowledge that one's own job is secure.

"...There are solutions to these problems."

There sure is. If someone is here illegally, then we should make it impossible for him or her to work here. That means more jobs for the people who are here legally, and it also stops the downward pressure on wages caused by illegals. As far as I can tell, that's best solution I know.

Last edited by cpg35223; 06-11-2011 at 07:34 PM..

Old 06-11-2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
When unemployment was low, the housing market was booming and the economy was doing well, this country did everything short of send invitations to Mexicans to come here and work. People hired them. Everyone loved their new $200k 2500sqft home, their cheap restaurant meals, their cheap housekeeper, their cheap landscaper, their cheap nicely packaged boneless skinless chicken breasts... All work likely done by an illegal immigrant. Now things are tough, jobs are in short supply and we just expect them to go home? Frankly, we all made this bed. Not the government. Sure they played a part by bending to the big business want for cheap labor. But the combination of America's love of cheap products/services and high profit margins are the real culprits in my opinion.
Actually, yes. They made their money. Nothing wrong with saying, "We won't be requiring your services any more. Thanks." Equating this problem with a gigantic game of Kick The Can just doesn't work. Just because they haven't been caught doesn't give them legitimacy.

Now, more to your point, I think one solution needs to be a guest worker program, one that ensures that taxes are paid, that the worker in question cannot become a dependent on the social welfare net, and that employers do indeed have access to labor when the country reaches full employment. At the same time, guest worker passes should be recognized as temporary only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration