Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 06:03 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,635,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimpdaddy View Post
This is not a good for Alabama and it will show in the future. The greatest cities in America are made up of immigrants. This is not well thought out and trying please a certain segment of the population is not good. Foreign companies will not see us in a good light. Bentley just hurt Alabama. If people from Mississippi are telling us we did a good job than that gives me more confidence in my opinion. In theory there will be more jobs for Alabamians but in a practical sense that might not be the case.
For people worried about image, these recent bills certainly don't help. I don't know if foreign companies will care, though, unless their business model is to abuse people that have no legal recourse.
Open legal avenues and punish abusive corporations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 06:53 AM

1,937 posts, read 4,738,430 times
You know at first I thought it was a bit harsh and looked bad for the individual state. But now as I learn more about it, it makes sense. If some one is an illegal alien in any other country in the world, they will go to jail no questions asked, but yet we give them food stamps that we pay for, and health coverage. We have rolled out the red carpet way to long.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:12 AM

976 posts, read 2,705,643 times
Alabama has a racist past and every time I try to give this state the benefit of the doubt it becomes clear these people here in Alabama are as racist as they were in the 50', and 60's. This is a bill to satisfy the racist hate-filled people who worry about everybody else but themselves. We have a racist Legislator now and they are going to screw Alabama with their stupidity, I might be wrong but no other state is going to follow this, they are going to sit back laugh at us. There goes stupid Alabama again who could be generating revenue from the there own people who go to border state for lottery tickets, but instead they vote on bills that don't do crap for improving an economy.

Last edited by mimpdaddy; 06-10-2011 at 08:28 AM..

Old 06-10-2011, 08:18 AM

2,450 posts, read 5,635,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
You know at first I thought it was a bit harsh and looked bad for the individual state. But now as I learn more about it, it makes sense. If some one is an illegal alien in any other country in the world, they will go to jail no questions asked, but yet we give them food stamps that we pay for, and health coverage. We have rolled out the red carpet way to long.
The logic of "everyone else is doing it, so I will too" is not very sound in my mind. There are many times in history horrendous actions were being taken by most people in the world.
That's also not entirely true.
The US prides itself on being immigrant friendly and allowing all types to have a place in its society.
An immigrant is only legal or illegal if the country says so. It has little to do with "right" or "wrong".

Old 06-10-2011, 08:23 AM

1,937 posts, read 4,738,430 times
Quote:
Alabama has a racist past and every time I try to give this state the benefit of the doubt it becomes clear these people here in Alabama are as racist as they were in the 50', and 60's. This is a bill to satisfy the racist hate-filled people who worry about everybody else but themselves. We have a racist Legislator now and they are going to screw Alabama with their stupidity.
Its not about racism, it is about do you want to spend what money you have or work for to support others illegally?????

Old 06-10-2011, 09:07 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,036,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
Its not about racism, it is about do you want to spend what money you have or work for to support others illegally?????
All they are doing is seeing if said person is a citizen of the United States or not (such as Arizona's law designating that they can be asked said questions if they have been pulled over/stole a car/etc. What you don't seem to understand is that we have a very bad immigration problem in this country.

Illegal knows no color.

And it isn't just Alabama.

So far Arizona, Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia. States that are very close to putting similar bills up are Texas, Oklahoma, Tennessee, and a few others. It still saddens me that so many in this country, including our own president, are siding with national criminals!

Old 06-10-2011, 09:12 AM

976 posts, read 2,705,643 times
Cities like Miami and New York are made up of immigrants and have diversity, that is what make those cities good. Alabama is further hurting itself with this law and I don't how see people don't recognize that. We should encourage people to come here but this is discouraging. Racism is what hurt this state for the longest and please tell me how this is going to make anyone come to Alabama besides old racist people. We don't need them we need young open-minded people.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:34 AM

469 posts, read 1,181,298 times
I don't know why they felt it necessary to try and prevent illegal immigrants from going to school. This will lead to ignorance and lawlessness. Most of these kids just want to grow up as average hard working americans.

E-verify is a totally necessary requirement. The businessmen her in tennessee squashed out immigration bill in committee because of this requirement. It is the only common sense and effective way to lower illegal immigration. They don't come here for the free elementary education for their children. They come here to work! If you can limit the demand for jobs for illegals then you will limit the number of illegal immigrants.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:38 AM

5,999 posts, read 7,156,256 times
Quote:
This is not a good for Alabama and it will show in the future. The greatest cities in America are made up of immigrants. This is not well thought out and trying please a certain segment of the population is not good. Foreign companies will not see us in a good light. Bentley just hurt Alabama. If people from Mississippi are telling us we did a good job than that gives me more confidence in my opinion. In theory there will be more jobs for Alabamians but in a practical sense that might not be the case.

With all due respect you just took a page out of the radical leftist playbook. This bill has absolutely nothing to do with immigrants; why would it, immigrants are legal US citizens who can do whatever they please within the confines of the law. This is about illegal immigrants, and you and the op intentionally made no distinction to put forth your radical leftist agenda.

As a legal immigrant, I take great offense to being compared to people who came into this country illegally, with no respect to our laws. Lemme ask you a question, why do you compare me to people who break the law?

Old 06-10-2011, 09:43 AM

5,999 posts, read 7,156,256 times
Quote:
Alabama has a racist past and every time I try to give this state the benefit of the doubt it becomes clear these people here in Alabama are as racist as they were in the 50', and 60's. This is a bill to satisfy the racist hate-filled people who worry about everybody else but themselves. We have a racist Legislator now and they are going to screw Alabama with their stupidity, I might be wrong but no other state is going to follow this, they are going to sit back laugh at us. There goes stupid Alabama again who could be generating revenue from the there own people who go to border state for lottery tickets, but instead they vote on bills that don't do crap for improving an economy.

You have no idea what you are talking about. I am an immigrant to this wonderful country, and me and my family and friends who are legal immigrants, all support this bill. When did "law breaking" become a race? There are currently 34 states that are proposing similar laws, and I say, "Thank God, it's about time." Every first world country in the world has much stricter laws against illegal immigrants than we do. Just google Australia and what they do with illegals and you'll be embarrassed about what you wrote here.

I could be wrong, but it sounds to me that you're just repeating something that your college professor told you without even thinking it through. Why do you support law breakers? I am a legal immigrant and to compare me to illegals is very offensive!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration