Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 01:52 PM

3,854 posts, read 4,843,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Can a Latino emigrate to the USA Legally?

If the answer is yes, then there's no reason why any of them should be here illegally. If any of them came here illegally then they have to leave.

I call an Illegal an Illegal. Period. Not Undocumented worker, nothing else but ILLEGAL.

If it's what they did, then that's who they are.

Are there legal workers available in the USA for companies to hire?

If the answer is yes, then there's no reason why any of them should be hiring illegals to do the job.

The government has failed to do their job and the government owes it to the American public and legal residents of the USA to get it right.

30,000,000 illegals and their children should not be here.
I don't know where you got the 30 million figure but reading your entire post, its easy to be confused on all the issues. Illegal immigration is a complex issue.

Quote:
The decline led to a contraction in the overall size of the undocumented population to 11 million people in March 2009 from a peak of 12 million two years earlier, according to the Pew analysis, which is based on data from the Census Bureau
Illegal immigration to the U.S. dropped sharply since 2007 | Homeland Security News Wire

Old 11-01-2010, 04:24 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,340,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
I don't know where you got the 30 million figure but reading your entire post, its easy to be confused on all the issues. Illegal immigration is a complex issue.

Illegal immigration to the U.S. dropped sharply since 2007 | Homeland Security News Wire
As was stated in here before those same numbers have been quoted for years because our government really doesn't want us to know how large the illegal population is.

Anchors aren't illegals according to our laws right now but even they number around 3 million alone. They wouldn't be here if not for their parent's violation of our immigration laws. When you factor them in with the illegal alien numbers themselves that means there are a lot more people here that shouldn't be and wouldn't be here if it didn't start by someones violation of our immigration laws.

Last edited by chicagonut; 11-01-2010 at 04:37 PM..

Old 11-01-2010, 06:21 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,257,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
As was stated in here before those same numbers have been quoted for years because our government really doesn't want us to know how large the illegal population is.

Anchors aren't illegals according to our laws right now but even they number around 3 million alone. They wouldn't be here if not for their parent's violation of our immigration laws. When you factor them in with the illegal alien numbers themselves that means there are a lot more people here that shouldn't be and wouldn't be here if it didn't start by someones violation of our immigration laws.
I laugh whenever Homeland Security releases a number. How do they know or can even guess??? Do illegals report to branch offices to let them know they arrived and when they depart? As far as I am concerned any guessed at number is equally valid.
How is it racist to be concerned about illegal immigration? That still has me confused.
Why is it racist to call out the fact that the majority of illegals are in fact hispanic?
Is it anti-roach or ant to call out that these 2 insects are the most prolific violators of american homes in the insect kingdom?
We are a nation of laws and we do have a right to enforce our laws. Targeting hispanics on the southern border makes sense. Although we may nab an occasional illegal from Norway it is more likely that we will catch hispanics.
Is it racist to require legal ID when a police officer stops you for a traffic violation? Every time I was stopped I had to produce said ID.
My wife a legal immigrant had to show her green card once when she was stopped. Niether of us were upset. I am grateful for the police officer doing his job.

Old 11-01-2010, 07:06 PM

320 posts, read 290,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
If you don't see it, then that just tells me you haven't read too many of the threads on here and are just seeing what you wish to see.
I didn't say on here I'm talking about the immigration debate as a whole. You don't see politicians or pundits saying anything about employers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
There should be a lot of outrage against those who employ illegals. But also the types of open borders, unlimited immigration types who don't really believe all the 2 billion impoverished people of the world can just come here but only all those of their own "race".

La Raza is a great example of that. You never see them protesting for the Haitian boat people rounded up in Miami, they never demand that all Haitians are above the law and all can move to Florida. Yet they demand that immigration be unlimited from the hispanic countries - why is that?
I could give a damn about La Raza. Who are they? I can't take an organization seriously who call themselves "the race" when they're supposed to represent a demographic that includes people of all races.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreXican View Post
I'll keep this simple:
Illegal aliens are just as to blame as the employers themselves. I agree that businesses should be fined for knowingly hiring illegal labor, but do not forget that people who knowingly illegally cross the US border are doing an illegal act and should be deported back to their country of origin. You need to focus and direct your anger to both causes, not just one.
I find it hard to hold the immigrants just as accountable as the employers. My great grandfathers on both sides came here from Italy and Spain respectively on similiar conditions as many of these people. They were poor in their home countries and came here for a better life and found it. Yes what they are doing is illegal. And when caught they should be deported. But in no way do I have the same contempt for them as I do the employers who support them. Especially in times like this with so many out of work Americans.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:09 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,873,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domination83 View Post
I didn't say on here I'm talking about the immigration debate as a whole. You don't see politicians or pundits saying anything about employers.

I could give a damn about La Raza. Who are they? I can't take an organization seriously who call themselves "the race" when they're supposed to represent a demographic that includes people of all races.

I find it hard to hold the immigrants just as accountable as the employers. My great grandfathers on both sides came here from Italy and Spain respectively on similiar conditions as many of these people. They were poor in their home countries and came here for a better life and found it. Yes what they are doing is illegal. And when caught they should be deported. But in no way do I have the same contempt for them as I do the employers who support them. Especially in times like this with so many out of work Americans.

My grandparents on both side also immigrated here. Neither family took ANY government assistance and all of them learned English. Plus, they came legally.

I hold the employers in contempt along with the illegal immigrants. But if they have SS cards it makes it pretty tough. And if the illegals aren't even being charged for using someone else's card...I blame the legal system.

Old 01-08-2011, 12:57 PM

1,296 posts, read 2,228,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domination83 View Post
EXACTLY. Pretty much every time the illegal-immigration debate comes up the focus is solely on the illegal immigrants. I come on here and basically say I want the borders secured. But because I didn't do it their way by placing the blame solely on the Central Americans they call me a "illegal-immigrant lover".

It makes me sick whats going on in our country right now. Unemployment is a huge problem. Yet these greedy employers support illegal immigration when they should be paying our unemployed decent wages to do those jobs. Where is the outrage at that? That's all I was saying.
There should be rage, but it should be aimed at the EMPLOYERS. Not the illegals. The illegals are very vulnerable to exploitation, and the employers know this when they hire the illegal immigrants. They can't form unions and/or demand any rights in the workplace, because their employers would have them deported.

Many Americans are are SO UPSET at illegals, because they think that the illegals are 'taking jobs away from them'. The thing is, these illegal immigrants aren't getting well-paying, cushy jobs. Illegal immigrants are doing the vey worst jobs, that Americans (even unskilled, uneducated Americans) won't do.

Illegals are doing jobs such as picking fruit in 100 degree heat, processing poultry while they stand knee-deep in bird blood and feces, cleaning toilets in hotels, doing domestic maid work for affluent people, and cleaning office buildings during the grave-yard shift.

The point that I'm making is that illegal immigrants, are not the ones that are costing Americans decent jobs. It's the global economy, wherein American jobs are outsourced to other countries, the employers who got tax-cuts, but still refuse to hire, the low-wage ervice economy, and the corporations and Wall Streeters, who destroyed our economy in the first place.

So blaming illegal immigrants for joblessness in America, is pointless. When will Americans stop scapegoating illegals for our economic plight, and put the blame where it really belongs-on the corporations, Wall Street, big Banks, the rise of low-paying service jobs, and global competition???

Last edited by artwomyn; 01-08-2011 at 01:12 PM..

Old 01-08-2011, 02:19 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,257,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
There should be rage, but it should be aimed at the EMPLOYERS. Not the illegals. The illegals are very vulnerable to exploitation, and the employers know this when they hire the illegal immigrants. They can't form unions and/or demand any rights in the workplace, because their employers would have them deported.

Many Americans are are SO UPSET at illegals, because they think that the illegals are 'taking jobs away from them'. The thing is, these illegal immigrants aren't getting well-paying, cushy jobs. Illegal immigrants are doing the vey worst jobs, that Americans (even unskilled, uneducated Americans) won't do.

Illegals are doing jobs such as picking fruit in 100 degree heat, processing poultry while they stand knee-deep in bird blood and feces, cleaning toilets in hotels, doing domestic maid work for affluent people, and cleaning office buildings during the grave-yard shift.

The point that I'm making is that illegal immigrants, are not the ones that are costing Americans decent jobs. It's the global economy, wherein American jobs are outsourced to other countries, the employers who got tax-cuts, but still refuse to hire, the low-wage ervice economy, and the corporations and Wall Streeters, who destroyed our economy in the first place.

So blaming illegal immigrants for joblessness in America, is pointless. When will Americans stop scapegoating illegals for our economic plight, and put the blame where it really belongs-on the corporations, Wall Street, big Banks, the rise of low-paying service jobs, and global competition???
While I agree that the employers own a large measure of blame one must hold the illegals accountable as well. It is they who knowingly cross into our country illegally and they who accept low ball wages. It is they who live by means of fraud and they who care little about whose job they took by lowballing.
The chop shop might pay the car theirf well and entice him into stealing more cars but no way does the thief get a free pass for his misdeeds.
Another way to look at it.
A bar tender/ owner might be greedy and keep serving a drunk until he is readu to pass out. I still blame the drunk when he gets behind the wheel of a car and kills someone.

Old 01-08-2011, 02:21 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,592,033 times
Quote:

The assertion that illegals are only doing jobs “Americans won’t do” has been debunked so many times it’s astonishing that anyone still believes such garbage. There are more than enough facts to refute it. The majority of illegal aliens (96-98%) are NOT picking crops. They are working in restaurants, hotels, construction, housekeeping, and landscaping. The last time I checked, citizens are still employed in those industries, albeit illegals have so appallingly depressed wages that most citizens simply cannot support themselves or their families on such paltry wages. Furthermore, 76% of crop pickers are citizens and legal residents. That certainly sounds like it IS work Americans will do.

Both outsourcing and illegal immigration are destroying our middle class. And yes, our global economy has fueled the desire for cheap labor. After all, if we are expected to compete against the “slave” wages being paid in China, we must also pay low wages here. Isn’t that the rationale? Apparently, you have no problem with this.

When will pro-illegals wake up and smell the coffee?

Old 01-08-2011, 02:41 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,464,461 times
Quote:
Domination83 wrote:
It is wrong to vilify people who capitalize on a situation to make their lives better. We've all came from immigrants at some point with that same goal so it's extremely hypocritical. That's why I am against illegal-immigration but I am not against the illegal-immigrants themselves. I am against the source and not the outcome.
Quote:
Quote:
That's why I am against illegal-immigration but I am not against the illegal-immigrants themselves
Quote:
I am against the source and not the outcome.
Now that's an oxymoron if i've ever heard on.

That's like saying, "I'm against "drunk driving" but not the "drunk drivers".

Old 01-08-2011, 03:34 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,493,842 times
Quote:

Wages have DROPPED because of the illegals in many places like construction. Nope: we dont need em here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration