Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 06:10 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,575,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I agree with you most of the time Benicar but you might be mistaken about the majority of Hispanic citizens not being supportive of illegal aliens in this country of like ethnicity. I believe that most want amnesty for them. I live in occupied territory in Calif. and I have brought this up in conversation with many Hispanic citizens and their replies are all the same on this issue. I wonder if there is a reputable poll that would prove it one way or another? It kind of explains why Hispanic citizens are not vociferous about their objection to it, doesn't it? It woud be interesting to find out where most Hispanics really stand on this issue nationwide, don't you think?
Yes, I would also like to know the results. Perhaps my experiences differ from yours due to location. While we certainly have more than our share of illegals in the DC area, the Hispanics I know do not support this invasion. Then again, it might be wishful thinking on my part. However, I imagine it will soon become apparent where Hispanic citizens stand, because this issue is at the boiling point. Eventually, they will have to take a stand.

Off topic. Suddenly, the print on this forum is gigantic. Is anyone else experiencing this problem, or is it just me?

Old 07-10-2010, 06:48 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,444,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Yes, I would also like to know the results. Perhaps my experiences differ from yours due to location. While we certainly have more than our share of illegals in the DC area, the Hispanics I know do not support this invasion. Then again, it might be wishful thinking on my part. However, I imagine it will soon become apparent where Hispanic citizens stand, because this issue is at the boiling point. Eventually, they will have to take a stand.

Off topic. Suddenly, the print on this forum is gigantic. Is anyone else experiencing this problem, or is it just me?
It must be you..... Down in the bottom right hand corner of the page,(above the time) you can change your "screen resolution" ( zoom level) , I use 125% to fit my screen.

Old 07-10-2010, 07:00 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,329,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
It must be you..... Down in the bottom right hand corner of the page,(above the time) you can change your "screen resolution" ( zoom level) , I use 125% to fit my screen.
I'm so blind I have to use 150% and that is with my glasses on, lol.

Old 07-10-2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:
I'm so blind I have to use 150% and that is with my glasses on, lol.
150%'s not bad. In fact that's what I'm going to start using, then I WON"T need my glasses

I have a 19" monitor.

Old 07-10-2010, 07:13 PM

Quote:
150%'s not bad. In fact that's what I'm going to start using, then I WON"T need my glasses

I have a 19" monitor.
I just have a mini laptop with only a 10 inch screen but I love it!

Old 07-10-2010, 07:24 PM

How many times were you told as a kid that staring at the TV gives you bad eye sight?

Old 07-10-2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:
How many times were you told as a kid that staring at the TV gives you bad eye sight?
I think my computer screen is doing that.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:39 AM

640 posts, read 1,733,084 times
Quote:
I agree with you most of the time Benicar but you might be mistaken about the majority of Hispanic citizens not being supportive of illegal aliens in this country of like ethnicity. I believe that most want amnesty for them. I live in occupied territory in Calif. and I have brought this up in conversation with many Hispanic citizens and their replies are all the same on this issue. I wonder if there is a reputable poll that would prove it one way or another? It kind of explains why Hispanic citizens are not vociferous about their objection to it, doesn't it? It woud be interesting to find out where most Hispanics really stand on this issue nationwide, don't you think?
Californian Latinos are usually Mexican, mostly racially Amerindian, very very liberal politically and extremely ethnocentric and chauvinistic. They are not representative of Latinos and are a great example of the train wreck California really is, culturally and economically. Not all Latinos are those qualities at the same time or even at all. The Mexican descended population in Texas doesn't act anything like what you see in California for instance. The chauvinism among Mexican descendants in California is very much the result of what is taught in the classrooms (Not to mention, that the white yuppies of California will tolerate their belligerency. The conservative white population in Texas will not.). A big problem is that the Latino population isn't diverse at all. It's predominantly from the Mexican underclass and the elites in this country want to keep it that way.

Old 07-11-2010, 12:05 PM

640 posts, read 1,733,084 times
Here is a post from a different thread:
Quote:
There are many Latinos who are definitely in favor of stemming illegal immigration. There are two things I think that stifle their voice:
1. Fear of retaliation from other Latinos. there was a Mex-Am girl on a broadcast recently who was speaking in favor of the AZ law. Her vehicle ended up being vandalized. There are been a few Latinos who have been physically assaulted for speaking out against illegal immigration. At my last job, if I ever told my Mex-Am manager (who is daughter of an illegal who benefited from the last amnesty) of my views against illegal immigration, you better believe I'd mysteriously become fired. There are Latinos who have become very militant when it comes to their (usually leftist) views. Either you are exactly like them and you MUST believe what they believe or you are a race traitor who hates yourself. They are the Latino thought police. This is why there are certain topics I simply don't talk about anymore in the presence of certain types/nationalities of Latinos.

2. Not wanting to be on the same side of people who simply don't like them for their ethnicity and skin tone. Let's face it, there are racists out there. I know it simply can't be a matter of assimilation. My mother is a white Hispanic and she doesn't get the treatment I do. I have been in settings where I- a fluent English speaker- Texan accent and all, wearing a Wilco (indie/americana rock band) shirt and surrounded by friends of several races will still be discretely discriminated against by the white waitress or get dirty looks. It's very tough for some people to swallow their pride and be on the same side of people who'd want you out of the country even if you are legally here. No one wants to look like a fool.
Truthfully, I know many Latinos who are very much against unrestricted illegal immigration and understand the longterm consequences. There just aren't enough of them because they've been purposely outnumbered for the reasons I've mentioned previously. They do not have the time (or perhaps the temerity) to protest. They have their bills to pay and mouths to feed. I think there are some Latinos who have deluded themselves into thinking this problem will go away in time. We have a very liberal slant in the English AND Spanish speaking media and universities. Any viewpoint or news story that wouldn't fit in the New York Times is seems to be intentionally stifled. If I, as a Latina, went about protesting against illegal immigration publically I would likely be assaulted and be branded a "self hating race traitor" by the white liberal paternalistic closet racists and their overtly racist Mexican jingoistic friends alike. And there would be no big media hoopla about it either. You guys know this.

Old 07-11-2010, 12:41 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,924,900 times
lokig at mexico :i doubt they really can takeover. The mexican leadership has been nothing if not incompetent and corrupt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.