Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 09:11 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,404,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
According to the article, there were 9,057 online contributions that came in from all 50 states plus Puerto Rico. I'll be the first one to admit that math wasn't my best subject in school, but it still seems to me that less than ten thousand contributions out of a population of more than 280 million hardly qualifies as "broad based appeal."
Actually there are over 300 million people in this country including illegal aliens. I don't imagine that Americans out of work, the poor, the illegals, most Hispanics and children under the age of 21 would be contributing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 09:14 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,331,265 times
Quote:
According to the article, there were 9,057 online contributions that came in from all 50 states plus Puerto Rico. I'll be the first one to admit that math wasn't my best subject in school, but it still seems to me that less than ten thousand contributions out of a population of more than 280 million hardly qualifies as "broad based appeal."
Well every poll out there indicates a broad support. Given the economy the fact that people are donating is telling also.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:20 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,549,860 times
Quote:
Why not wait and do your calculating when the Support/contributions stop/end.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:36 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,089,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Don't count your chicken just yet. Hispanics will divide along philosophical lines just as whites do and for the same reasons. I have a Hispanic friend (legal) here in Texas who removes the mail out of the mailbox of the vacant house next door when he learned illegals were using it to illegally apply for undeserved benefits. I'm sure he is not alone. He is tired of these thieves stealing his SS.

Since I have learned this trick, I closely watch the mailboxes at my rentals when the units are vacant. I would urge other landlords to do the same.
While it seems a prudent thing to do, please be careful. Technically, according to federal law, (US Code Title 18 Section 1702) it's a felony. I wouldn't be advertising the practice on public forums.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:37 PM

4,802 posts, read 8,789,409 times
Quote:
That doesn't take into consideration those who are donating the old fashioned way--a check through the mail--that's how I sent mine! I think that the fact that people are donating at all given the current economic conditions shows just how important the issue is.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:07 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,404,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
That doesn't take into consideration those who are donating the old fashioned way--a check through the mail--that's how I sent mine! I think that the fact that people are donating at all given the current economic conditions shows just how important the issue is.
As did my husband and I donate in that manner. We sent a check to Gov. Brewer's office.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:52 PM

894 posts, read 1,132,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
That doesn't take into consideration those who are donating the old fashioned way--a check through the mail--that's how I sent mine!
That's how I sent mine too. The money I sent them was money I'd been saving for a vacation to several countries. I've been saving it for over a year. I'm blind so what the hell am I going to see in other countries anyway? AZ needs it more than I do right now.

Old 07-12-2010, 04:39 PM

48,493 posts, read 97,318,641 times
Thos is goig to be a long hard battle. that si why if they do not get the injunstion its going to expolode in their face likely.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:03 PM

530 posts, read 1,137,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
you see this issue in a different light than i. To me it is not a "democrat v. Republican" issue, but a much deeper issue crossing party lines. For those living in the border states it is both an issue of personal security, national security, and the issue of being heavily taxed to support the activities of lawbreakers. That sentiment is shared throughout the states.

For me, the arizona law is a states' rights issue, a state performing the duties charged to the federal government, but one which the fed has chosen to ignore. When the federal government refuses to protect our borders against invasion then those states which share those common international borders must protect themselves.

So far, the federal government has taken a hands off approach to illegal immigration. This administration has allowed the leader of a foreign country to address this nation's highest legislative branch, and wantonly attack a sovereign state's right to protect itself. The fed has also allowed a foreign entity to force the closure of many acres of national preserves because of illegal activity performed by that foreign entity.

It's my belief that when the federal government refuses to adequately protect any of its member states, then those states have the right to perform those duties charged to the fed. The federal government is charged with protecting our national security, with setting standards for immigration, and enforcing laws pertaining to illegal immigration, and when it abrogates those laws, they fall to the rights of the states.
bravo!

Old 07-13-2010, 08:00 AM

563 posts, read 521,004 times
[quote=mkfarnam;15002756][quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Storm View Post
That is awsome. If that does not show how the American people feel about this issue then I don't know what does. November 2nd will be interesting.

How many times does a state have to ask for assistance from the government before taking action themselves?

And then to be sued by the same government that refuses to help out?

Stand With Arizona (and Against Illegal Immigration) | Facebook

or you just type,

JanBrewer/facebook
Governor Jan Brewer | Facebook
Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration