Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 02:16 PM

341 posts, read 1,673,192 times

Advertisements

We are vacationing and researching the Boise area for the first 2 weeks of June and am now curious of the Idaho FAlls Area??
1) schools -
2) shopping - arts, mom and pop style
3) downtown atmosphere with culture, arts, small stores (not big box)
4) sports
5) weather - no harsh winters
6) tourism - looking to see if there are convention people or tourists coming in for my business relys on them partially
7) how far is idaho falls from Boise - can you live and commute
thanks for any of your help..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2007, 06:07 PM

434 posts, read 3,177,470 times
I went to IF a couple of times for business and it is a long, looong drive between the two cities and not very scenic at all. The town of IF did not appeal to me either, if you want to get to the mountains it is a 45-60 minute drive. Plus on top of that it is very windy and colder in the winter.

You can't go wrong moving to Boise from Arizona but I would never move to IF.

Old 05-23-2007, 08:29 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,262,276 times
I wouldn't suggest you move to IF either, yes I live near IF.

We do have great schools, mom n pop stores, cute shops downtown that are locally owned, an excellent greenbelt in the downtown, sadly are winters of late have been slightly snow deprived; can count last winter's storms on one hand, minor league baseball (Padres farm team), pari-mutual horse racing, cross country skiing, ice skating, baseball, softball, ice hockey and yepperz we are infamous for our winds

Old 05-25-2007, 04:21 PM

121 posts, read 737,811 times
I've lived in both. Looking at your list I'd definitely recommend Boise. You'd probably hate Idaho Falls. And it's a very long, boring drive (270 miles) between the two.

Old 06-01-2007, 05:20 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,431,476 times
It sounds like you'll be started on your vacation already. I'm just a little curious of how schools enter into vacations (and specifically for what age of students).

Winters in eastern ID can be harsher, depending on where home is now for you, an where one is eastern ID.

Boise is obviously receiving the influx of Seattle, Portland and CA so growing fast with not nearly enough infrastructure.

Respectfully, I disagree with most posts above based on my own experiences and what one wants in their future life. I guess it is good that all the people who "hated Idaho Falls" left as it is the 48th fastest growing city in the U.S. That's based on over 900 cities.

I'd experience both cities and see what feels right to you. It's been my experience than when people make their wish list of where to live, they are willing to settle for some trade offs, based on other factors they hadn't considered.

Don't be fooled by last year's extremely off-the-wall temps. in eastern ID. MT, UT and CO all experienced record colds as well. It's better to look over a 5-10 year history.

First and foremost, for me, is how does it feel when I'm there? What is right for one person isn't necessarily for another. :tup:

Old 11-14-2007, 02:25 PM

1 posts, read 5,558 times
Cool Boise or Idaho Falls???

My husband and I just recently moved to Idaho Falls this July with our two young boys.(my husband grew up here and moved to Boise in 1997) He swore up and down that he would NEVER move back to IF. I visited IF a few times and I understood why he would not want to move back here. For family reasons we moved here and don't mind being here at all. I actually like Idaho Falls! I've heard horror stories about the winters though. Not looking forward to it.

Old 11-16-2007, 08:39 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,431,476 times
Wink Oh, those old rumors, rumors, rumors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelliee_s24 View Post
My husband and I just recently moved to Idaho Falls this July with our two young boys.(my husband grew up here and moved to Boise in 1997) He swore up and down that he would NEVER move back to IF. I visited IF a few times and I understood why he would not want to move back here. For family reasons we moved here and don't mind being here at all. I actually like Idaho Falls! I've heard horror stories about the winters though. Not looking forward to it.
Kelliee,

Much like the previoius horror stories you heard, don't believe everything you hear about winter. Last year was abnormal for all of the northern states west of IL (I didn't follow the eastern ones). Let's just hope we get back on track. We do need water and the skiers can't wait for Targhee.

If you like to ski, what do you think about the 3 new resorts in the Driggs area?

Even for those who don't ski, what do you think the new resorts will do to prices at Targhee and other slopes already established?

Glad you like Idaho Falls and didn't rely only on the rumors. THere use to be some pretty ugly ones on this board from some really unhappy people. I'm sure glad they could move so people who enjoy what eastern ID offers could relocate here.

Thank goodness we all don't like the same things or want to live in the same places.

Some good new things are headed to Idaho Falls. I don't know where you relocated from, but I'm certain the I.F. your husband left isn't the I.F. of 2006-2007 and beyond.

BTW - welcome. I hope you'll post a lot of info and tips for all those who are relocating, plus some of the things your family may be doing for the holidays. There are so many things to choose...........

Let me know if I can help you in anyway.

MSR

Old 11-16-2007, 10:01 AM

32 posts, read 35,751 times
Idaho Falls, Dreggs, Victor.....YUCK!!!

Expect snow on the ground for 5 months of the year and bitter cold arctic winds.

It feels like you're on the North Pole.

Enjoy!!!

Old 11-17-2007, 07:11 AM

40 posts, read 215,810 times
Default Say what?

We live south of the city (Idaho Falls) and we've had little real snow for several winters. I think we had to get the plow out once last year for our driveway, which was about 4-6 inches. The very few other times it snowed, it melted quickly, within a few days. I recall those never-ending winters being back in the 80's, and a few in the 90's. The last decade has been mild. There are some cold stretches but we have been amazed at the relative dryness for so long.

Old 11-17-2007, 08:05 PM

8 posts, read 23,143 times
Red face Do Not Believe What You Read

I am new at this so if you get this twice, I'm sorry. Idaho Falls sits on one of the m90 ost beautiful rivers in the world. It is about 90 minutes from Yellowstone National Park and Grand Teton National Park. On the way there, you can fly fish in some of the world's most famous fly fishing streams in Island Park. You can also stop in Rexburg and see Bear World (about $20 per car) and for sure see bear, elk, and bison. In Yellowstone, you will see new baby bison, geese, and other animals. If you are really lucky, you will see elk and bear. If you go to Mammoth, which is a must see, you will see some of the largest bull elk in the world, along with geological wonders. Yellowstone has geysers, mud pots, hiking, water falls, fishing, and museums galore that are free. Do not plan on camping and plan to stay about three days to see it all. There are very affordable motels. May I suggest the Evergreen, which is quaint, clean, and about $60 night. There is also the City Center, which is cheaper, but is not my first choice (too noisy - on the main road.) You and your family might enjoy it enough to move here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho