Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2006, 07:48 PM

318 posts, read 1,316,867 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I just discovered how much cheaper homes in Idaho falls are compared to Boise. Can anyone give me the comparisons as far as jobs available, pay scale, weather, climate, landscape, schools & colleges, and any other general info. would be great.

izzy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2006, 05:37 AM

149 posts, read 1,097,654 times
As far as weather goes, IF will be cold and windy in the winter, but summers will be much nicer. IMO, the weather gives Boise a huge advantage over IF.

Climate and landscape will be about the same.

Schools will be (IMO) about the same. You have good schools and bad schools in both areas.

There isn't a (real) college in IF. You have the Eastern Idaho Vo-Tech school in IF, but if you want a university, you'll need to go 50 miles south to Pocatello (Idaho State U). Boise State U is in Boise.

I've lived in both places, and prefer Boise. But, where you are looking for more of a rural area, you might like IF better. I'd recommend looking at both areas to see what you like.

For what it's worth, Yellowstone Park is only a 90 minute drive from IF.

Old 08-22-2006, 06:52 AM

246 posts, read 328,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpalace View Post
There isn't a (real) college in IF. You have the Eastern Idaho Vo-Tech school in IF, but if you want a university, you'll need to go 50 miles south to Pocatello (Idaho State U). Boise State U is in Boise.
Actually IF has extensions for both ISU and U of I. It's possible to get an undergraduate degree in some fields entirely within Idaho Falls.

IF has a much less diverse economy than Boise. Your choices are retail, agriculture, working at EIRMC, or the Site.

Magpies

Old 08-22-2006, 10:59 AM

Thank you for your info.
We talked about it last night. Boise area just feels right, from here. Closer to CA for family visits. More available jobs if our adult kids follow us. I think most likely better resale value if we decide to sell later. The prices are sure tempting in IF though. Big bang for the buck from a CA view.

Thanks again.

Izzy

Old 08-22-2006, 10:00 PM

47 posts, read 202,631 times
Default Twin Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy View Post
Thank you for your info.
We talked about it last night. Boise area just feels right, from here. Closer to CA for family visits. More available jobs if our adult kids follow us. I think most likely better resale value if we decide to sell later. The prices are sure tempting in IF though. Big bang for the buck from a CA view.

Thanks again.

Izzy
Have you thought about Twin Falls area? Weather is much better than IF, closer to Boise weather. 2 Housr drive to Boise, 3 hours to Salt Lake City and 8 hours to Reno. Town is really growing, with over 65,000 people between Twin Falls/Jerome greater valley area, and prices lower than Boise....

Old 08-23-2006, 02:29 PM

Hi Bryan,

Thanks for the info. But I pretty sure we are going to buy in the Boise Area. That is where there are lots of Forklift dealers and that is my husband's line of work.My husband doesn't want to commute very far.

Boise is about 10 hours from my grown children in CA. I'm hoping they will decide to also move out to Idaho, after we settle in and have them out for visits. I think the jobs available for their careers will be easier to find in the Boise area.

I know that Idaho folks are not happy about the flood of CA residents. But I kinda find comfort in the fact. That if we move there, that we won't be the only CA folks in town.

Well I'm going to go check out homes in boise itself and neighboring towns.
If you have more info. on the Boise neighborhoods that would be great. I not a city person. I like living in small communities. But I am also from CA and I like big green trees, lawns, and shopping.

Izzy

Old 09-04-2006, 12:00 PM

63 posts, read 362,615 times
Both cities are very nice, although you can't really compare the two since Boise is so much larger and more liberal then I.F. Boise has a very Northwest/Idaho vibe and I.F. is influenced by the Utah lifestyle which sometimes creates an identity crises for the town of I.F. (I grew up in I.F. and that always bothered me ---I.F. is in Idaho and not Utard for hell sakes).

Both have similar attributes with the parks and a river through downtown, but I.F. is not built against a mountain range like Boise. The mountains near I.F. are a little ways from town but still an easy 20 minute drive. I guess it depends on if you want to live in a small area like I.F. (although the city is growing very fast and has a lot to offer) or the "big city" of Boise which is a lot more diverse than I.F. You will be happy with either city--Idaho is a very beautiful state with a lot of area to explore.

Old 09-04-2006, 07:16 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,262,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineboy View Post
Both cities are very nice, although you can't really compare the two since Boise is so much larger and more liberal then I.F. Boise has a very Northwest/Idaho vibe and I.F. is influenced by the Utah lifestyle which sometimes creates an identity crises for the town of I.F. (I grew up in I.F. and that always bothered me ---I.F. is in Idaho and not Utard for hell sakes).

Both have similar attributes with the parks and a river through downtown, but I.F. is not built against a mountain range like Boise. The mountains near I.F. are a little ways from town but still an easy 20 minute drive. I guess it depends on if you want to live in a small area like I.F. (although the city is growing very fast and has a lot to offer) or the "big city" of Boise which is a lot more diverse than I.F. You will be happy with either city--Idaho is a very beautiful state with a lot of area to explore.
As the bench is getting built up, that 20 minute drive is becimng less and less farther "out"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho