Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 05:48 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,450,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbernice314 View Post
I am new at this so if you get this twice, I'm sorry. Idaho Falls sits on one of the m90 ost beautiful rivers in the world. It is about 90 minutes from Yellowstone National Park and Grand Teton National Park. On the way there, you can fly fish in some of the world's most famous fly fishing streams in Island Park. You can also stop in Rexburg and see Bear World (about $20 per car) and for sure see bear, elk, and bison. In Yellowstone, you will see new baby bison, geese, and other animals. If you are really lucky, you will see elk and bear. If you go to Mammoth, which is a must see, you will see some of the largest bull elk in the world, along with geological wonders. Yellowstone has geysers, mud pots, hiking, water falls, fishing, and museums galore that are free. Do not plan on camping and plan to stay about three days to see it all. There are very affordable motels. May I suggest the Evergreen, which is quaint, clean, and about $60 night. There is also the City Center, which is cheaper, but is not my first choice (too noisy - on the main road.) You and your family might enjoy it enough to move here!

Hello mbernice 314,

First, welcome to posting about the Idaho Falls area. For so long, it seemed that cleosmom, CDS were the only ones posting anything positive about the area before I started posting, then others joined in as well. It's certainly been nice to see the additional people in the Idaho Falls area start to post about what life is really like in Idaho Falls and Bonneville County, rather than rely on posts from people who lived in the area prior to metro status, before 1995, or TCOR or even the Grand Teton Mall was built. Or better yet, it is very telling of what people call INL. The many name changes allow those who haved lived in the area major clues of when others were last in 8B County.

It's not that I don't believe those former residents, or Idaho residents that are located elsewhere in Idaho, aren't entitled to their opinion, they are. However, when a few of those who use to routinely trash Idaho Falls haven't physically been in the state for many years, that despite being asked directly by me, they didn't answer when they were last physically in Bonneville County, plus other comments they have made in various threads, that concern me.

Conversely, it is because those who use to post about Idaho Falls couldn't describe the newest developments, newest businesses etc. that personally, I wouldn't rely on those opinions. However, others may be comfortable with dated information and views, which is certainly their right as well.

PLEASE don't be sorry for sharing your opinion! What makes your thoughts/feelings less valid than those of anyone else who has posted in this forum?

PLEASE continue to post your thoughts/feelings about the area.

If you get a chance, I hope you, as well as Idaho mom and other newer users, as well as newer and established residents and all others that are interested will check out this thread we did in the summer: https://www.city-data.com/forum/idaho...things-do.html

With all that goes on in Idaho Falls for the holidays, I'd like to start another thread of fun things to do, traditions not to miss etc. I'd love the input and help of others as those threads are actually a lot of work to those of us who work and have many other commitments. That's probably about everyone these days. Please let me know what you think of the idea (as well as other users, including Idaho mom and all other posters interested in this area).

If those of us who live, work, have relatives, have business investments, or are otherwise connected to the Idaho Falls area don't continually post our opinions of the facts we know, I believe there is a good chance that old patterns will return to this forum.

What I mean is I think many posts will be written about Idaho Falls (and eastern ID in general) by people living in other areas in Idaho, and those who live out-of-state, who have very limited knowledge of 8B County in 2007 and may not have had a recent visit in the last 5-10 years, will be what guests visiting Idaho Falls threads will read the most. Having lived in other states and depended on recommendations of those who knrw the current information to get me where I needed to be, I try my best to give the latest information I know. From their posts that I've read, I know cleosmom, CafeDS, and a few others appear to share that goal: wanting to provide current and accurate info. Both Idaho mom as well as you, mbernice 314, seem to want to provide accurate information as well.

It is so nice to finally have more people posting here who have detailed knowledge about Idaho Falls, Ammon and the rest of Bonneville County. As the Idaho Business publications have printed many times this year, Idaho Falls is on the edge of some major growth and commercial development. I think will be spectacular when the new developments on the river and elsewhere are completed.

I look forward to more of your posts (as long as you don't apologize for sharing your POV! Your observations will give someone, if not many, different information to consider as they think about relocation.

MSR

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 11-18-2007 at 06:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2007, 08:17 AM

8 posts, read 23,179 times
Default Thank you

I have lived other places in the world - Germany, Kentucky, Arizona and have visted MANY. I never go long because there is very little to see in other parts of the country and world that doesn't exist within two hours of my home - without high crime (I still leave my doors unlocked), prejudice, widespread poverty, and the hassles of having to drinve two hours to get to work. Sure we have things happen in Idaho, but it is rare. In addition, natural disasters are the exception here and not expected. We do not have flooding every year, tornados every season, and we have yet to be hit by a tsunami or hurricane! We are not so conditioned to expect an earthquake that they happen without our noticing it and, if they do, our neighbors are quick to help. On top of that, we have white Christmases and we are not afraid to celebrate the Christ in Christmas instead of just Santa! How could you ask for anything more?

Old 11-19-2007, 03:35 PM

310 posts, read 1,283,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbernice314 View Post
I am new at this so if you get this twice, I'm sorry. Idaho Falls sits on one of the m90 ost beautiful rivers in the world. It is about 90 minutes from Yellowstone National Park and Grand Teton National Park. On the way there, you can fly fish in some of the world's most famous fly fishing streams in Island Park. You can also stop in Rexburg and see Bear World (about $20 per car) and for sure see bear, elk, and bison. In Yellowstone, you will see new baby bison, geese, and other animals. If you are really lucky, you will see elk and bear. If you go to Mammoth, which is a must see, you will see some of the largest bull elk in the world, along with geological wonders. Yellowstone has geysers, mud pots, hiking, water falls, fishing, and museums galore that are free. Do not plan on camping and plan to stay about three days to see it all. There are very affordable motels. May I suggest the Evergreen, which is quaint, clean, and about $60 night. There is also the City Center, which is cheaper, but is not my first choice (too noisy - on the main road.) You and your family might enjoy it enough to move here!

sorry but you're not camping in a national park then you aren't seeing it correctly. And driving a RV isn't camping. If you aren't camping in Yellowstone then you are missing out on what Yellowstone is all about, being outdoors and in touch with nature. [MOD CUT: Insulting]

Last edited by Sage of Sagle; 11-20-2007 at 09:30 PM.. Reason: Be more civil (read the TOS)

Old 12-02-2007, 12:18 PM

8 posts, read 23,179 times
Default camping in Yellowstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPerkins33 View Post
sorry but you're not camping in a national park then you aren't seeing it correctly. And driving a RV isn't camping. If you aren't camping in Yellowstone then you are missing out on what Yellowstone is all about, being outdoors and in touch with nature. [MOD CUT: Insulting]
Sorry, didn't mean to offend you. I have been to Yellowstone at least three times per year for the last 20 years. Although I agree that camping is wonderful (and we have done it numerous times - RV and Tent), It is not unsusual for the temperatures there to be below 40 at night. In addition, the only campground that offers showers (and you have to go to Old Faithful to use them) is the Madison camp ground. I have seen it snow ALOT as late as July 1. For a family who has never camped or is not used to this climate, i would still recommend a motel. However, if they are adventurous enough and don't mind getting up to frost and having to use a pit toilet, then go for it! - By the way, some of the best trips we've taken we saw a doe elk give birth, watched bears most of one afternoon, and was lucky enough to see a pack of wolves chasing an elk later that night, was after spending the night in a nice warm room at the Evergreen!

Old 12-09-2007, 10:03 AM

416 posts, read 1,714,537 times
I never officially lived in Idaho Falls, but I've stayed there (mostly for work) probably eight months, in various seasons, often three weeks to a month at a time. It's one of my favorite areas of the Southern part of the state . . . I liked it better than Boise, but then again I didn't spend near as much time in Boise. The problem is that I can't say exactly what appealed to me about Idaho Falls, but something about it just resonates with me. I was just back recently, too, and still felt the same way about it.

I also like its proximity to Wyoming and Utah--two of my other favorite states. I do remember it getting pretty cold and windy in the winter. But Idaho Falls (or maybe Pocatello, which is nearby) is one place I'm considering relocating to (I'm currently living in Jersey City, NJ) . . . I'm just not sure what I'd do for work there. (By the way, anyone have leads on what the best current employers in the area are?)

I also loved nothern Idaho for the lush forests, but I'm not sure I'd want to be that far away from Wyoming and Utah. If I didn't care about being near those states, I might consider northern Idaho instead.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:18 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,280,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DessertRat View Post
I also like its proximity to Wyoming and Utah--two of my other favorite states. I do remember it getting pretty cold and windy in the winter. But Idaho Falls (or maybe Pocatello, which is nearby) is one place I'm considering relocating to (I'm currently living in Jersey City, NJ) . . . I'm just not sure what I'd do for work there. (By the way, anyone have leads on what the best current employers in the area are?)
What line of work are you in? That makes all the difference. The Site ahs been laying folks off left and right lately and from what I gather another round coming in Feb. Otherwise since the unemployment rate is around 1-2%, it shouldn't be hard to find something as nearly everyone is hiring.

Old 12-09-2007, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
What line of work are you in?
Whatever someone will pay me a decent wage to do.

I've had a lot of jobs in the past. The most impressive sounding one was Vice President for a mid-sized "esthetics" company in Manhattan. Esthetics is basically the spa/salon industry. The company I worked for had its own product line, distributed other lines and ran a very successful school (estheticians have to be licensed to work). It's not an industry I care anything about, although I wouldn't turn down work relating to it. I've also worked a lot as a freelance writer, musician/composer and visual artist--I've done all those things all my life and will continue to do them whether just as a hobby or not. Plus I've worked in radio, publishing, a hospital business office, retail, network and systems administration, I taught music in a private school . . . too many to remember. Sometimes I think my varied background is a detriment, so I have a bunch of different resumes based on different themes, lol. I have my bachelor's degree, too--in philosophy, which I know isn't the most practical degree.

But I'm really open to a very wide variety of jobs, as long as they pay decently. My weakest skill area is typical blue collar jobs--construction, mechanic work, etc., but I wouldn't at all mind learning those things (or anything else).

I'm married, too, and my wife has a very focused resume--all in banking and finance for the past 20 years, including at Fortune 500 companies in Manhattan.
Quote:
it shouldn't be hard to find something as nearly everyone is hiring.
That's good to hear. I think another problem I'm having is that I'm long-distance job searching (I forgot if I mentioned in this forum that I'm presently living in Jersey City, NJ). Especially when I'm either just responding to ads online or emailing potential employers, everything seems to just be ignored--I'm not sure if they're responding well to the idea of hiring someone who has to move across the country, even if I've made it clear that I'm dedicated to relocating at my own expense.

In my wife's case, she sometimes worries that she's got a disadvantage because she has a very obviously non-Anglo-Saxon name (she's Indian). I also have a strange sounding name, although I'm from a German/Austrian family that's been in the US since the 1600s--ancestors fought in the Revolutionary War, etc.. Starting next year, I'm going to try to make periodic trips to various target locations (I have some outside of Idaho, too--like Cody, Wyoming, the Sevier Valley area in Utah, etc.) and do in-person job-hunting instead. Hopefully that will prove more successful.

It would be possible to move into a modestly priced apartment (or other rental) first, then job search locally, but because we have a number of potential targets, we were hoping to gain employment first, then move to that area.

Thanks for your help.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:55 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,450,639 times
Smile It Only Takes One Right Job to Make It Work; Try These Resources

Quote:
Originally Posted by DessertRat View Post
Whatever someone will pay me a decent wage to do.

I've had a lot of jobs in the past. The most impressive sounding one was Vice President for a mid-sized "esthetics" company in Manhattan. Esthetics is basically the spa/salon industry. The company I worked for had its own product line, distributed other lines and ran a very successful school (estheticians have to be licensed to work). It's not an industry I care anything about, although I wouldn't turn down work relating to it. I've also worked a lot as a freelance writer, musician/composer and visual artist--I've done all those things all my life and will continue to do them whether just as a hobby or not. Plus I've worked in radio, publishing, a hospital business office, retail, network and systems administration, I taught music in a private school . . . too many to remember. Sometimes I think my varied background is a detriment, so I have a bunch of different resumes based on different themes, lol. I have my bachelor's degree, too--in philosophy, which I know isn't the most practical degree.

But I'm really open to a very wide variety of jobs, as long as they pay decently. My weakest skill area is typical blue collar jobs--construction, mechanic work, etc., but I wouldn't at all mind learning those things (or anything else).

I'm married, too, and my wife has a very focused resume--all in banking and finance for the past 20 years, including at Fortune 500 companies in Manhattan.That's good to hear. I think another problem I'm having is that I'm long-distance job searching (I forgot if I mentioned in this forum that I'm presently living in Jersey City, NJ). Especially when I'm either just responding to ads online or emailing potential employers, everything seems to just be ignored--I'm not sure if they're responding well to the idea of hiring someone who has to move across the country, even if I've made it clear that I'm dedicated to relocating at my own expense.

In my wife's case, she sometimes worries that she's got a disadvantage because she has a very obviously non-Anglo-Saxon name (she's Indian). I also have a strange sounding name, although I'm from a German/Austrian family that's been in the US since the 1600s--ancestors fought in the Revolutionary War, etc.. Starting next year, I'm going to try to make periodic trips to various target locations (I have some outside of Idaho, too--like Cody, Wyoming, the Sevier Valley area in Utah, etc.) and do in-person job-hunting instead. Hopefully that will prove more successful.

It would be possible to move into a modestly priced apartment (or other rental) first, then job search locally, but because we have a number of potential targets, we were hoping to gain employment first, then move to that area.

Thanks for your help.
You may be surprised how many free lance writers live in Idaho Falls. While Cleosmom is right about some INL downsizing, I wouldn't necessarily count that out, given all the various things you have done. There are new missions, some announced this week even, that will continue make INL a major employer.

A more diverse economy is also helping to bring in jobs that weren't here previously. I don't know how many spas were in the region 10 years ago.

From what I've read, I'd look at the comments about Cody. Great area for a job if you are involved in natural gas of oil drilling. Read what people say. As for Sevier County, I'm not sure there are a lot of opportunities. I know the general address to the State of Utah's website is: www.Utah.gov. Jobs are listed in WorkForce Services. Not too hard to find.

Job service through the state of ID is probably the best place to look is under: www.accessidaho.org/job_labor. Idaho Falls is in Bonneville County. The MSA for Bonneville County also includes Jefferson County and the northern part of Bingham Co. You might want to try those as first leads.

Also, with Dawn Wells adding the Sound Stage to cover WY, MT, we are going to see different types of industry in eastern ID than we've seen previously, from my POV.

I'll send you a PM with some other specific employers a little later. But, those are some good general resources.

As I've said to others, one just knows when an area is right for them - it feels right. And we all are different so different areas feel right to us.

It only takes one job to make it work. And if either you or your wife have any background or can get some in education, there is a HUGE shortage of elementary, Jr. High and High School Educators in the area. The number of students just keeps rising.

Good luck and I hope those resources help.

MSR

Old 12-13-2007, 06:32 PM

Thanks for your help so far ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho