Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 12:59 PM

45 posts, read 147,293 times

Advertisements

Alrighty, I'm moving to Pocatello Idaho in September of this year. From San Diego California...I'm used to a great nightlife, local bands, art festivals, and museums. I've been online all day everyday for some information on ANYTHING that has to do with the above formentioned. I know Pocatello is smaller than San Diego by...like a million people, and I would rather be with the one I love in the smallest town imaginable than be alone in the largest.

So to make a long story short...what can a 24 year old chick do in Pocatello Idaho to have some fun, drink some beers and dance to some music?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2007, 02:11 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,836,115 times
Hmmm. It will be a pretty dramatic change, no two ways about it. I'm sure someone from there will post up.

I'd start with anywhere the kids from Idaho State University hang out. You're still close to their age...hahahha....

Here's a night club listing for the area:
http://www.superpages.com/yellowpage...D/T-Pocatello/

I'd locate the ISU student forums and start asking around....

Old 04-06-2007, 01:25 AM

8 posts, read 38,908 times
Hi, I live in Pocatello and have my whole life. You are in for a very big change. Although you can have fun times it probably will not be like you are used to. Right now the spot is the "Lazy Lizard" for the college croud and there are a few bars along that strip that people wonder around back and fourth too (The office, Odysey, and Hooligans). I will warn you though the Lazy Lizard is TINY and it is gets so packed you cannot even move. The Green T used to be fun good music, large, but its kinda dead now. I personally cannot stand our poor exuse for "clubs" but if you are fun you can have fun no matter where you go =).

Old 04-09-2007, 10:56 PM

10 posts, read 75,603 times
Smile Great move

Pocatello, while it may not be San Diego, is a great place. There is a great and growing art community, several great pubs (Portneuf Valley is my fave), and some small dance clubs. Idaho State University always has live music and major bands (Blues Traveler is playing here next week). There is also always great live music at the First National Bar in Old Town. There are dinner theaters, art galleries, etc. The difference is, they are smaller and there are less of them than in San Diego, but they are here! There are also several museums, some really good ones in Idaho Falls (about 45 miles away).

You are also coming here during a huge growth period for the city...it is growing like crazy right now. Lots of new shopping (Ross, Bed Bath & Beyond, Pier 1, etc)...and you always have the great outdoors. The outdoor experiences are endless. Skiing, hiking, camping, fishing, biking, boating, rafting, etc. Plus, the cost of living is incredibly cheap. Get ready to be shocked at the difference between San Diego and Pocatello price wise. I moved from Boston and would never be anywhere else.

I hope that helps!

Old 04-09-2007, 10:58 PM

10 posts, read 75,603 times
Talking One more thing...

I am 35 years old and the Lazy Lizard is NOT just a college joint. My friends and I go there too. It's a good mix, as are all of the clubs/bars in town.

Old 04-13-2007, 03:09 PM

2 posts, read 19,714 times
Default If you like local bands, be prepared for disappointment

Pocatello (and all of Idaho for that matter) no longer cares about local music. Most places that used to be live music venues are only having DJs now. And local musicians are constantly getting screwed by club owners. Case in point:
The Green T - Somewhere In The Middle was booked there two weekend nights for $800 but on Saturday night the manager locked himself in the office, refused to pay the band the agreed amount, shorted them $300, and had the bouncers threaten the band. Anyone who knows Aaron and the guys from Somewhere In The Middle knows they're decent honest guys just trying to make a living. But the manager of the lounge is a liar, a cheat, and a coward. I'll never spend my money there again.

Woody's in Twin Falls - no more live music.

The Blues Bouquet in Boise - no more live music.

Factory 13 (an all-ages venue in Twin Falls intended to keep kids off the streets and away from drugs) - shut down by the city because A. The guy that ran it wasn't LDS, and B. The city didn't really stand to make any money from it.

Old 04-13-2007, 03:39 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,896,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warlocke View Post
Pocatello (and all of Idaho for that matter) no longer cares about local music. Most places that used to be live music venues are only having DJs now. And local musicians are constantly getting screwed by club owners. Case in point:
The Green T - Somewhere In The Middle was booked there two weekend nights for $800 but on Saturday night the manager locked himself in the office, refused to pay the band the agreed amount, shorted them $300, and had the bouncers threaten the band. Anyone who knows Aaron and the guys from Somewhere In The Middle knows they're decent honest guys just trying to make a living. But the manager of the lounge is a liar, a cheat, and a coward. I'll never spend my money there again.

Woody's in Twin Falls - no more live music.

The Blues Bouquet in Boise - no more live music.

Factory 13 (an all-ages venue in Twin Falls intended to keep kids off the streets and away from drugs) - shut down by the city because A. The guy that ran it wasn't LDS, and B. The city didn't really stand to make any money from it.

Actually Blues Bouquet is now The Bouquet and it does have live music. Check their site out--http://www.thebouquet.net/
Boise has several clubs with live music as there is a somewhat large local live music scene in the Treasure Valley with many great bands. Neurolux, Terrapin Station are a few others that come to mind. Oh yes, of course there is the Big Easy which hosts many national touring groups too.
There is a 3 day live music bash near Boise in the woods each summer.
The LDS are in the minority in Boise so there are some pretty diverse entertainment options in the capitol city.

Old 04-15-2007, 02:46 AM

2 posts, read 19,714 times
Default Well I am happy to be wrong!

The last I had heard the Bouquet was only having bigger out-of-town acts and a DJ, but seeing their site and looking at the calendar (Thanks for that link, BTW!) I see that isn't the case at all. Unfortunately, Boise is a pretty good ways from Pocatello. I know there are a few more venues for local music in Boise but the number of such places is in decline, not growing.

Old 04-22-2007, 01:34 AM

124 posts, read 374,808 times
Post I hope you like church!

I've lived here my whole life, and I must mention the very conservative demographic here in Pocatello. It has its good points, but I would expect it to be somewhat of a culture shock for someone from a liberal Californian city. We're afraid to let the world in here in Pocatello. But you can still have a good time if you're the creative, outdoorsy type. Lots of good mountain biking, climbing, fishing, and camping nearby. You have to make your own fun, unless you're into frequenting bars that pump mainstream garbage out of their PA systems. I really wish the music scene would rekindle in this town. I'm surprised that it hasn't, considering how many college students there are here.

Old 04-22-2007, 06:10 PM

121 posts, read 737,854 times
Are you ever in for some culture shock! You won't find much of anything on your list in Pocatello. You can't even get a decent meal without driving 50 miles to Idaho Falls since the only thing in Pocatello is burger and pizza joints. Good live music is only a distant memory. Beer you can find as long as its "Curs, Curs Laht, Buhd or Buhd Laht". Actually it's not quite that bad but you get the idea.

You didn't say why you have to be in Pocatello. College? Job? If I had a choice and could afford it I'd definitely commute from Idaho Falls. It's much more tolerable and most Californians don't seem to mind it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyToy View Post
Alrighty, I'm moving to Pocatello Idaho in September of this year. From San Diego California...I'm used to a great nightlife, local bands, art festivals, and museums. I've been online all day everyday for some information on ANYTHING that has to do with the above formentioned. I know Pocatello is smaller than San Diego by...like a million people, and I would rather be with the one I love in the smallest town imaginable than be alone in the largest.

So to make a long story short...what can a 24 year old chick do in Pocatello Idaho to have some fun, drink some beers and dance to some music?

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho