Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2006, 08:49 PM

26 posts, read 223,988 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I've applied for a job in Pocatello and wonder if anyone here can tell me what the area is like from experience. I know that it is southeastern Idaho, that it has a drier climate than the Pacific NW, and that it has a high Mormon population.

Is it super Mormon there, like is there discrimination if you are not Mormon/LDS? Are there people with differing views there? I know that must sound like a completely idiotic question, but when I hear that a place has a high Mormon population, I get the impression that it is almost Stepford-like in that all the LDS folks are very similar and are not nice to non-LDS folks, especially kids. Just don't know if that is true at all. I don't mean to cause offense to any Mormons reading this.

Is there any kind of vibe or culture that Pocatello has? Is it conservative or liberal? Is it deserty at all like Central Oregon? Does it have DSL and broadband cable?

Thank you in advance for your replies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2006, 07:28 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,263,520 times
Pocatello does have members of the LDS church, but the city itself tends to have a more liberal appeal as it is a college town.

Husband and I are both non-LDS and have gotten along for 15 years here (SE Idaho) without a hitch.

I wouldn't compare it to central, OR as the moutains are right there, but yes it is high desert... hmm that was clear as mud huh?

Yes, there is both DSL and cable modem in these parts. Plus, if you feel the need to jaunt to a big city, you're only a few hours away from Salt Lake City, UT

Old 06-16-2006, 06:13 PM

26 posts, read 223,988 times
Hi Cleosmom,

Thanks for writing back. I obviously should have done more research because I didn't realize there was a college in Pocatello!

So what is the weather like in Pocatello? Are there any questionable or higher-crime neighborhoods to avoid? Anything you feel like sharing would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 06-24-2006, 12:19 AM

41 posts, read 199,112 times
Idaho State University is one of the three major universities in the state. It has an enrollment something over 10,000 right now.

Even though it's officially "high desert" it doesn't feel like it. The city sits down in a valley amongst high hills, and as you look over it, it looks like a solid mass of trees!

You can get wind there in winter, but the hills shelter somewhat. Temps (not counting wind chill) can get down to single digits but not often. Summers in the 80's mostly.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:28 PM

4 posts, read 20,433 times
Hello,
I have grown up in Pocatello as a non mormon. I felt through my school years I was discriminated against because I was not part of the religion. I am only 20 years old but I am an exception in a sea of married children my age. It is a college town with a terrible athletic program and tuition costs are going through the roof for our low income city. Pocatello is not all negative, we do have a few outdoor places to find refuge, but at the moment Pocatello is considered the meth capital of Idaho. like I stated before, the cost of living is so low it is almost impossible to get out of here without an adequate savings. Good luck in your job search but I would suggest looking into Idaho Falls, the quality of life is much better in my opinion. Do not be discouraged, Pocatello does have its share of nice neighborhoods, but the bad neighborhoods outweigh the good. I suggest looking for housing close to the university, in Chubbuck, or behind Highland highschool(highland hills).

Old 06-14-2010, 02:10 PM

84 posts, read 233,727 times
HI

Welcome to the forum

(please try not to take offense to this...I'm trying to be helpful...)
This thread was last posted on in 2006... it's "dead". Sometimes the "related threads" at the bottom reference to REALLY old posts, and most folks don't "resurrect" them unless they are appropriate to the present, and to be honest, this one isn't... Not trying to pick on you or insult you or anything, just pointing it out so you know to look for it next time.

Don't sweat it. happens to everybody once in a while

Old 06-17-2010, 02:49 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,896,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bailmele View Post
Hello,
I have grown up in Pocatello as a non mormon. I felt through my school years I was discriminated against because I was not part of the religion. I am only 20 years old but I am an exception in a sea of married children my age. It is a college town with a terrible athletic program and tuition costs are going through the roof for our low income city. Pocatello is not all negative, we do have a few outdoor places to find refuge, but at the moment Pocatello is considered the meth capital of Idaho. like I stated before, the cost of living is so low it is almost impossible to get out of here without an adequate savings. Good luck in your job search but I would suggest looking into Idaho Falls, the quality of life is much better in my opinion. Do not be discouraged, Pocatello does have its share of nice neighborhoods, but the bad neighborhoods outweigh the good. I suggest looking for housing close to the university, in Chubbuck, or behind Highland highschool(highland hills).
I have heard that reason is because of Pocatello's location on I-15 and proximity to the drug infested Wasatch Front and that Front's gangbangers, mainly from Ogden through Salt Lake, and the trafficers use Pocatello as a geographic point to distribute up to Montana and into Wyoming. Utah has a way of spreading its disease to other nearby states.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:34 AM

35 posts, read 72,207 times
Default 2013 Best Budget Cities Where You Can Retire In Comfort

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailmele View Post
Pocatello is considered the meth capital of Idaho.
Meth AND Mormons! Curious combination!

BTW, Pocatello was named one of the 10 Best Budget Cities Where You Can Retire In Comfort in 2013:

10 budget cities where you can retire in comfort - Yahoo Finance

• Population: 88,500

• State tax on Social Security: No

• State tax on pensions: Yes (with some exemptions)

• The median home price is $127,500, the median mortgage payment is $487 and the median property tax is $1,179. While there is a state tax on pensions (with some exemptions), there is none on Social Security, according to the AARP report. Lifelong learners can take some classes on the cheap: Idaho State University’s New Knowledge Adventures are open to those 50 and older and allow people to take unlimited classes for a modest fee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho