Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 08:26 AM

1 posts, read 4,324 times

Advertisements

Our son & fiancee are moving up to Pocatello from San Diego as well. Don't sell Poky short, you'll find it has a lot to offer. Around ISU there are a lot of eateries, from home cooking, good Mexican food, Italian food, Chinese food to buffets. The scenery is awesome. There is a good karaoke at the Elks Lodge, great people, great burgers, good drinks. By the way how are you getting to Poky if I may ask? Are you renting a truck? Maybe we could share expenses???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 01:27 PM

1 posts, read 4,316 times
Default The Icon

your in luck the Icon is opening the first weekend in September located 1235 N Main Pocatello. [url=http://www.myspace.com/iconlive]MySpace.com - The Icon - POCATELLO, Idaho - Indie / Alternative / Metal - www.myspace.com/iconlive[/url] [url=http://www.thekollective.com]The Kollective: Utah Concert Promotion and Booking[/url]
See you there
Cheers

Old 07-15-2008, 08:36 AM

63 posts, read 167,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeDelSol View Post
Are you ever in for some culture shock! You won't find much of anything on your list in Pocatello. You can't even get a decent meal without driving 50 miles to Idaho Falls since the only thing in Pocatello is burger and pizza joints. Good live music is only a distant memory. Beer you can find as long as its "Curs, Curs Laht, Buhd or Buhd Laht". Actually it's not quite that bad but you get the idea.

You didn't say why you have to be in Pocatello. College? Job? If I had a choice and could afford it I'd definitely commute from Idaho Falls. It's much more tolerable and most Californians don't seem to mind it here.

Oh, and don't forget..... bad mouth Idaho Falls every chance you get. If you are moving to Idaho Falls..... bad mouth Pocatello every chance you get. It's just par for the course.

Don't let this person get you down, Pocatello has plenty to offer.

Old 07-20-2008, 10:36 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,446,156 times
Question Please Explain Further...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by quenton View Post
Oh, and don't forget..... bad mouth Idaho Falls every chance you get. If you are moving to Idaho Falls..... bad mouth Pocatello every chance you get. It's just par for the course.

quenton,

Instead of re-posting CafeDelSole's comments, with your view of what he wrote, how about either asking CDS about them, or posting your own plusses for Pocatello? I'm struggling to understand how your post helps those outside of the region.

Please explain what may be humor/banter to you, but not to others. I understand what you wrote, but fail to understand how it is relevant given the changes in jobs, and building of the Technology Corridor. Please explain more so I understand your comments better.

I believe the recent decisions of Quest, for one example, leave people with feelings that aren't just "for fun." Perhaps the Pocatello employees who were suddenly without jobs, or now commute to Idaho Falls could shed some light on that specific issue here. What is par for course when Idaho Falls residents ride a daily commuter bus to ISU, and many from Pocatello work in Idaho Falls?

While I don't see your comment as "personally attacking," I think you could add to the discussion more by sharing some of your favorite eateries, activities, changes on the horizon etc. in Poky instead of trying to invalidate CDS's comments. Each person is entitled to write about their own experiences and rarely have two people had the same life experiences.

CafeDelSole wrote his honest viewpoint of the area. No one says we'll all agree about anything. After all, aren't the different viewpoints and highlights of each partially what is useful to those asking the questions?

TwinPrism and others have done a great job, IMHO, of comparing the two cities, by building on information in previous posts.

I look forward to your next post with information useful to those looking to relocate to Pocatello. Tell us what Poky has to offer, from your POV.

MSR

Old 07-21-2008, 01:11 PM

130 posts, read 428,704 times
I have a question that's a bit off topic, but...

How do natives pronounce 'Pocatello?'

Pocatell-o or Pocatell-ah??

Old 07-21-2008, 02:15 PM

63 posts, read 167,041 times
MSR,

Get off your soap box and come back to reality. We all know there is no truth whatsoever in that post.

1: The only thing Pocatello has is burgers or chicken. WRONG. Pocatello also has fried chicken.

2: The only beer is "Curs, Curs Laht, Buhd or Buhd Laht". WRONG. Pocatello also has Buhd Ice.

Once again, many of the good people of Idaho Falls are jealous of Pocatello and what it has to offer.... take their comments with a grain of salt.

Old 07-21-2008, 03:17 PM

210 posts, read 947,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greensleeves View Post
I have a question that's a bit off topic, but...

How do natives pronounce 'Pocatello?'

Pocatell-o or Pocatell-ah??

Hi Greensleeves.. Most locals pronounce it Pocatell-o, not like the Judy Garland song.

I hadn't ever heard the song until recently, so here it is if you haven't either.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-864562401024170425&hl=en

Old 07-21-2008, 03:52 PM

130 posts, read 428,704 times
Hey, thanks!

I've had some problems with pronunciation since I got here. I've been taken to task quite regularly, but I stuck to my guns on the 'Pocatell-ah' thing.

Old 07-25-2008, 06:18 PM

30 posts, read 131,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quenton View Post

I had to laugh because when I lived in San Diego for all my life (except for the last four years in Havasu), the people in San Diego bad-mouthed the people in LA and the people in LA couldnt' stand San Diego!

Old 07-26-2008, 01:36 PM

879 posts, read 2,859,301 times
Well, I haven't met many LA people that hate San Diego but most San Diego people HATE Los Angeles. lol. From my experience at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho