Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 12:14 PM

40 posts, read 179,720 times

Advertisements

Correct comments above regarding the Pocatello hospital (only 1, not 2). Pocatello is an old mining town and has some pretty spots, but A LOT of grundge to it. It is a dirty city. Good people, not much to do and hardly any decent restaurants or variety of dining. The city council is old school, to the city's detriment as it does not encourage much city growth. Not many options regarding shopping either. Old malls, stores and businesses that have gone out of business should be condemned but remain standing only to house vagrants and multitudes of pigeons, etc. Yuk. I never understood why they didn't tear the old Fred Meyer buliding down. The area simply looks depressed in many places.

Idaho Falls is better.

Again, the people are nice; however, the Mormon people tend to do business with themselves. If you are not Mormon you can feel looked down upon and not included in conversations, etc. Non-Mormon school children probably have the most difficult time with this.

Wow, this post turned out a lot more negative than I expected to write. There really is a lot about Idaho that is very nice. We are glad to have been able to leave.

Good luck to you in your decisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 06:15 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,451,866 times
Post Number of Houses Being Sold in Idaho Falls and Pocatello

I found this news story and can't remember which other thread was talking about houses being reduced in price in Bonneville County. Of course, who knows how much they were marked up to start with?

From KPVI News:

Reporter: Andrew Del Greco
Eastern Idaho Housing Market Still Performing Well

Oct 30, 2007 07:21 PM MDT

"Reduced Price" signs are being seen around the nation.

" In Bonneville County in September, the number of offers to reduce a price in order to induce a sale tripled over the same month last year - but realtors say don't let that number fool you.

"When it comes to the number of home sales in Eastern Idaho...

"Jim Windmiller, Greater Idaho Falls Association of Realtors President: " 'We're actually ahead of where we were last year at the same time.' "

"In Bonneville County in 2006, according to numbers obtained from the Greater Idaho Falls Association of Realtors, from January through October, there were 1,399 homes sold, a $145,000 median price, a $160,664 average home price, total volume sales of $224 million, and an average of 99 days that a home stayed on the market before being sold.

"In 2007, January through October, there were 1,429 homes sold, a $157,000 median price, a $177,062 average home price, total volume sales of $253 million, and an average of 99 days that a home stays on the market before being sold.

"But the number that could prevent an overall record year in sales is the number of homes sold lately, in September and October - 189 this year, versus almost 100 more in 2006.

"Jim Windmiller: " 'I don't have the California and Nevada people buying many homes here anymore. ' "

" 'And Californians and others were the ones buying homes of more than $300,000.

"Jim Windmiller: " 'Their market has come down a lot, so those people are not selling out, moving to Idaho and buying our bigger units.' "

"But the market of homes under $300,000 is as good as any in the country.

"According to Pocatello analysts, Bannock County is still very strong as well.

"In 2006, January through October, there were 1,003 homes sold, an average home price of $142,767, and 89 days was the average homes stayed on the market until sold.

"In 2007, January through October, there were 1,022 homes sold, an average home price of $152,058, and a 99 day average.

"Despite a national mortage meltdown and poor real estate markets elsewhere, we may still pass last year's strong performance, but it will be close.

"Jim Windmiller: ' It's too early to tell, if we don't set a record we should at least stay consistent to last year.' "

"Windmiller says another thing that could prevent strong sales over these last few months of this year is weather. He says the last thing people want to do in freezing temperatures is to be outside shopping for a home. "

Old 11-06-2007, 10:08 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,451,866 times
Question Housing Info from the Business View - Including No Decline in Housing Costs in Idaho Falls and Pocatello

I wanted to post another view about the housing market in various parts of Idaho.

This Lora Volkert article appeared yesterday in the Idaho Business Review.

"Construction-based Economy at Stake"

"The national housing market is bleak, but some areas are worse off than others. Idaho isn’t doing badly, according to data from Moody’s Chief Economist Mark Zandi.

"• Single-family home prices have not dropped in the Treasure Valley, southeast Idaho or the Lewiston area. They have fallen less than 3 percent in the Coeur d’Alene area, according to Bernard Markstein, director of forecasting for the National Association of Home Builders.

"• No Idaho markets have a large share of nonconforming loans such as jumbo loans, subprime loans or Alt-A loans, which fall in between prime and subprime loans, according to Zandi. In 2006, nonconforming loans make up less than 40 percent of the market in Idaho, less than the national average. Subprime loans have become a larger part of the market in Idaho over time, however, according to Markstein; they grew from less than 4 percent of all mortgage loans in 2002 to somewhere between 7 and 10 percent this year.

"• The mortgage delinquency rate in the Treasure Valley was less than 0.8 percent, less than the national average, according to Zandi. No data were available for other Idaho markets.

"?Zandi projects no decline in housing costs in Pocatello and Idaho Falls. Franklin County could see a drop of up to 5 percent from peak housing costs. But the Treasure Valley, Lewiston and Coeur d’Alene are in for considerably bigger drops, anywhere from 5 to 15 percent.

"? The job market is still expanding in the Treasure Valley and in some parts of southeast Idaho near Idaho Falls. Other parts of southeast Idaho closer to Pocatello, and northern Idaho markets around Coeur d’Alene and Lewiston, are at risk of recession, Zandi said. Some of this risk is related to the housing market.

"Idaho is particularly fortunate to have seen relatively little downturn in its housing economy. According to Zandi, Idaho is more dependent on housing than most states.

"In Coeur d’Alene, the Idaho Falls area and the Treasure Valley, housing-related employment makes up more than 12 percent of total employment. The Pocatello area is slightly less at risk, with 9 percent to 12 percent of jobs related to the housing market. Lewiston’s dependency on the housing market is low – it affects less than 9 percent of workers."

So who do you ultimately believe? The local realtors or the state business review?

Old 11-07-2007, 08:45 AM

1,378 posts, read 6,214,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
" In Bonneville County in September, the number of offers to reduce a price in order to induce a sale tripled over the same month last year - but realtors say don't let that number fool you.

"When it comes to the number of home sales in Eastern Idaho...

"Jim Windmiller, Greater Idaho Falls Association of Realtors President: " 'We're actually ahead of where we were last year at the same time.' "

"In Bonneville County in 2006, according to numbers obtained from the Greater Idaho Falls Association of Realtors, from January through October, there were 1,399 homes sold, a $145,000 median price, a $160,664 average home price, total volume sales of $224 million, and an average of 99 days that a home stayed on the market before being sold.

"In 2007, January through October, there were 1,429 homes sold, a $157,000 median price, a $177,062 average home price, total volume sales of $253 million, and an average of 99 days that a home stays on the market before being sold.

"In 2006, January through October, there were 1,003 homes sold, an average home price of $142,767, and 89 days was the average homes stayed on the market until sold.

"In 2007, January through October, there were 1,022 homes sold, an average home price of $152,058, and a 99 day average.

"Despite a national mortage meltdown and poor real estate markets elsewhere, we may still pass last year's strong performance, but it will be close.

"Jim Windmiller: ' It's too early to tell, if we don't set a record we should at least stay consistent to last year.' "

"
Both articles offer good information. I can only confirm the stats of the Treasure Valley as that is the location I work out of and am most familiar. The agent is right about her figures and is most likely pulling them from MLS. We are experiencing the same in the Treasure Valley- sales for our company are almost just as good this year as they were for 2006.

Which leads me to say sometimes what you read is not always the truth. There has been so much reporting on the gloom and doom of the market on a national basis that it gives people the impression that it appplies to all markets. Idaho has fared pretty well considering all that's gone on in the mortgage industry and the MLS stats prove it.

You might see a lot of signs with "price reduced", but if they don't sell, they aren't going to affect the statistics. It's the solds that they're using to come up with the average price, which is how they determine that there has been an increase in property values.

Old 11-07-2007, 01:22 PM

210 posts, read 947,655 times
Default Quality of life is good in Pocatello.

I've lived in Pocatello about 13 years, and Eastern Idaho my whole life. I grew up in the Blackfoot Area. What many say in this thread about Idaho Falls' superior retail selection is true, but things in Pocatello are rapidly improving in terms choices and selection. Pocatello has a history of being a lower income blue collar town, but things are looking up for Pocatello recently in both retail and wages. There are several parts of town that aren't too pretty, but they are gradually being cleaned up and replaced with new development instead of adding sprawl at the edge of town. There has been much positive change over the last 10 years or so on the image and aesthetics of the city.

I'm not much of a shopper, so the lack of retail doesn't bother me that much, and while I do like to eat, I find an increasing number and variety of dining choices available. One difference I notice is that Pocatello seems to have a greater percentage of unique local restaurants as opposed to chains. While there are some good local spots, Idaho Falls reminds me a little too much of every freeway exit in Utah.

Pocatello is surrounded by hills which is great if you are into the outdoors, there is world class mountain biking and hiking and running and skiing within 5-20 minutes of town. I work at Pebble Creek Ski Area in the winter, and when there is enough snow (February-March are typically the best months), it is an awesome mountain, a hidden gem if you can look past the lodge and other amenities that are lacking. I find that I prefer being near the mountains adds a lot the experience of living in Pocatello. In comparison, Idaho Falls is out in the middle of the flat, windy plain. The Portneuf Greenway trail system in Pocatello is coming along as well, and there are several nice stretches of trail, but it can't compare to greenway in Idaho Falls or Boise. I also like that growth is occurring and a slower, more manageable rate, and aside from Chubbuck, the hills have constrained the random sprawl and congestion that I think is a blight in Meridian and the rest of the Treasure Valley and recently the Ammon area east of Idaho Falls.

I also find the university adds a lot of religious and political diversity compared to the surrounding rural areas and even Idaho Falls. The university also hosts many cultural and other events to fit many tastes and the new Stephens Performing Arts Center is a site to behold. It is great to have such a world class facility in Pocatello. If you get plugged into the stuff going on at the university, there is never any shortage of things to do, many organizations and activities are open to the community at low or no cost.

Well as you can see, I'd rather have nature close at hand than shops, since I can get what I need at a reasonable price, and if I want more selection or need to catch a plane, I can take a trip to I.F. or Salt Lake City once in a while. From my perspective, quality of life is good in Pocatello. I guess it just depends on your priorities.

Old 11-07-2007, 06:42 PM

88 posts, read 319,366 times
Bob in Arizona - I too am looking for a great retirement place and have zoned in on Idaho Falls and about 30 miles outside of Spokane, Washington, maybe Colville, or somewhere close. I have been to Idaho Falls and love it especially if you love the outdoors. I am worried about the property taxes in Washington and wanted to know your take and your thoughts about the Spokane area.

Thanks
Diane

Old 03-13-2008, 04:03 PM

1 posts, read 4,146 times
Default Looking for Idaho relocation advise

Hello Idahoans!

My husband and I are looking form a new retirement home, possibly southern ID. Here's our criteria:

CLEAR, DARK SKIES: as an amatuer astronomer, we need a place where we are away from city lights, and cloudy skies are not the norm

SHORT WINTERS: We are from Illinois, where the winter seems to last from November to April. Got anything the runs, say Dec-Feb, where temps would be above 40 from March on?

BEEKEEPING HABITAT: We also keep bees. We were looking down in the Twin Falls to Logan, UT area, but have been told that heavy pesticide spraying occurs there.

LOCATION: Within an 8 hour drive from Missoula, MT (cute grandkids)

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanx,
Susan

Old 03-14-2008, 06:01 PM

210 posts, read 947,655 times
As for the short winters, I'd say the Treasure Valley or Lewiston. You'd want to be out of the valley a bit in Boise to avoid inversions.

Boise is much farther from Missoula though, probably pushing the 8 hours. Mountain Home area < 1 hour from Boise has dark skies and a great observatory at Bruneau Dunes. A little further away from the heavy ag areas where heavy spraying could occur, but it on the edge of the desert, so can be pretty desolate.

Old 03-20-2008, 03:46 PM

13 posts, read 58,164 times
Default Wait a minute ....

"If you are not Mormon you can feel looked down upon and not included in conversations, etc. Non-Mormon school children probably have the most difficult time with this."

Wait a minute .... I grew up in Idaho Falls, I'm LDS, and my friends and my children's best friends have all been non-LDS kids. We have enjoyed the friendship of Catholics, Baptists, Lutherans, and I don't know what else, because I never asked Some LDS do keep to themselves, but I hope it's more because they are so busy with church callings than out-right rudeness. I love the diversity my family enjoyed in Idaho Falls (and are now missing by living in Salt Lake City)

Old 01-12-2009, 09:05 PM

2 posts, read 8,883 times
While I have no first hand experience living in Couer D'Alene, it was where I wanted to move before I landed in Idaho Falls. When I was looking 4 years ago, there was nothing in my price range to see. I know it's not a Mormon community and I know it's very lovely. Lots of trees and water.

Idaho Falls is pretty much treeless but you have Jackson Hole, WY an hour away and there is Yellowstone a couple hours from here. I think it's a great location for folks who love the snow and skiing and don't have to concern themselves with working. You will always see people you've met at the grocery store because it is a small community. This is a very safe community with very little crime and very little traffic for the most part. The pay here is not great and the jobs are getting sparse unless you land a job with Idaho National Labratory, the largest employer in these parts.

Mormons are, for the most part, kind people. Some will like you for who you are and others will not like you because you're not Mormon. I guess we just can't get away from predjudice no matter where you go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho