Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2008, 03:25 PM

72 posts, read 264,391 times

Advertisements

Hey y'all,

I am considering moving to either Idaho Falls, Twin Falls or Pocatello within the next 4 months.

My main concerns are housing and transportation.

Housing: What is the average rental price on 2 or 3 bedrooms (house or apartment) and what is the availability?

Transportation: Is there good, reliable public transportation? I don't drive; and would need to use a combination of public transit and my zippy (non-motorized) tri-wheeler.

I consider good reliable public transportation to have set pick-up and drop-off times at each bus stop (within 5 minutes either way of any posted times) . . . and one that is operable year-round.

Also, since I will also be using my trike, I'll need to live in an area that is fairly flat.

Aside from the 3 cities I've listed, are there any others that would be good to consider? I'm fairly quiet and don't want to live where it's too frenetic.

Thanks in advance,
Sharon-Marie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 10:59 AM

No responses?

Old 06-17-2008, 01:48 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,262,276 times
I can't answer much for Twin.

I do know you can check rental housing costs in the classified section of the Post Register, they are online. It covers Idaho Falls.

You're wanting level areas to ride on? Meaning sidewalks or just what. I was slightly confused by that. Idaho Falls and Twin Falls are mostly flat.

Idaho Falls does have public transportation as well as taxi services.

Hope this helps

Old 06-17-2008, 02:06 PM

634 posts, read 2,347,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
You're wanting level areas to ride on? Meaning sidewalks or just what. I was slightly confused by that. Idaho Falls and Twin Falls are mostly flat.
I kinda took that to mean that they didn't want to have to travel through numerous curvy/mountainous areas to get from one place to another. That didn't seem to be an issue in IF, but if you live in parts of Pocatello, IT IS an issue. Pocatello's downtown and university areas sit in between a set of foothills, and is flat from the western edge of Old Town up towards what is called the Highland area. The climbs to get to areas outside of these would be pretty treacherous on a day-to-day basis.

Old 06-17-2008, 02:48 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,262,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breer23 View Post
I kinda took that to mean that they didn't want to have to travel through numerous curvy/mountainous areas to get from one place to another. That didn't seem to be an issue in IF, but if you live in parts of Pocatello, IT IS an issue. Pocatello's downtown and university areas sit in between a set of foothills, and is flat from the western edge of Old Town up towards what is called the Highland area. The climbs to get to areas outside of these would be pretty treacherous on a day-to-day basis.
Thanks breer, that's what I was thinking and check it out... you know Pokey's terrain better than I do

Old 06-17-2008, 10:48 PM

210 posts, read 946,700 times
I'll add some Poky info.

As Breer said, Poky is more hilly than the other cities, though depending on where you travel to you can find routes that are mostly flat. Chubbuck is pretty much all flat. Where will you be commuting to? Shopping, work, etc?

I'm not up on rental prices, but I'm guessing you'd been between $400-800/month in Pocatello.

Pocatello has decent public transportation, but I'm not sure if anywhere in Idaho has five minute pickup times. You can get routes and schedules at Pocatello Regional Transit (http://www.pocatellotransit.com/lib/code/php/busfinder.php - broken link)
but it is kind of hard to figure out how often the bus is in a specific area. On most routes, it looks like the bus comes by a stop between every 45 min-1 hour, but there are 6-8 routes, so if you live near a stop served by multiple routes, you'd have more options.

I commute by bike to work most days, and it is pretty quick. I can get there faster than I can drive and park most days.

Pocatello and probably Twin to me seems to still have more of a small town feel and less traffic than Idaho Falls, but I know Pocatello has less choices in chain stores if how you like to spend your time is shopping. There is a nice selection of local business though that I enjoy giving my business. For chain store stuff, I shop online, I know I should keep the $$$ in the community, but it is just so convenient and cheap if you know where to look .

Old 07-03-2008, 08:35 AM

Thanks very much y'all for your responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by breer23 View Post
Yes, that's exactly what I meant. Trikes are rather, challenging, to get up hills

I've decided on Idaho Falls as where to move.

I've also received some information from the City of IF regarding public transportation (although I haven't looked at it yet, as I'm currently just getting home from a vacation).

I'm checking out the other threads here on Idaho Falls.

In the meantime, is there anything y'all think I should know about IF? I realize that's a pretty open-ended question, but I'll leave it like that.

Thanks,
Sharon-Marie

Old 07-03-2008, 08:43 AM

I have a couple of technical questions about this forum, please.

(1)
Is there anyway to sub to specific threads? For instance, I want to sub to some of the Idaho threads, but not all of them; and when I followed the directions to do that, I only saw where I could sub to the entire state of Idaho or I could sub to all threads relating to Boise; neither of which I want to do.

(2)
Is there any way to bookmark posts in a thread? I'm really interested in the thread, "Idaho Falls- top 10 things to do", but do not have time right now to sit and read through it. On another forum that I belong to, individual posts can be bookmarked . . . which makes it great for being able to read long threads a little at a time.

Thanks, y'all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho