Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 01:09 PM

96 posts, read 186,796 times

Advertisements

My husband just applied to a job in CDA. We are a family of 5, born and raised Michiganders, wanting to get out of the unionized MI, but more importantly, find a place to settle amongst the beautiful backdrop of N. ID. CDA is one of the places we are seriously looking into.
I am an SAHM/ part time RN and I am wondering what are the local hospitals in the area of CDA? I may consider Spokane area as well if need be. I have 18 years experience and my husband has 20 years in the IT field.
We have 3 children, one college student who would transfer and 2 younger who we homeschool. We are non denominational conservative christians.
Just looking for a place to settle and meet some friendly people while enjoying all the nature and fishing NID has to offer.
Winters are wet and gray in MI from Nov-Mar/April so we are used to that and summers here are hot and humid.
While we do have wildlife I am wondering about the wolves and bears there in N. ID? Let's say my kids and I want to go for a hike in the area there, what are the odds that we would encounter bear or wolves or cougar?
We have black bears and coyote and wolves in MI, but mostly northern MI and the U.P.
Praying it all happens soon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 01:41 PM

804 posts, read 2,908,708 times
The CDA area is ripe with Hospitals and clinics so being a RN is a great field to be in.

There are a lot of black bears and Moose in the area. Wolves are definatly a factor but not as prevalent. Cougars I would not really worry about, we have them but they tend to keep to their own... key word is tend to, always keep an eye out.

They will run into Bear and Moose if they spend much time in the outdoors. I have been bluff charged by more Moose than anything else, those are some of the meaniest biggest creatures out there.

If they are worried carry a large caliber handgun (and know how to use it properly) or the bear spray you can buy at any sporting goods store.

It is a great area to get them into bow hunting as well. If this interests you let me know and I will be more than happy to go into more detail and help you guys out.

Fishing is awesome. If you have a decent boat you will have all the opportunity you could want. www.fins1.com is a great local sporting good store. I worked there for several years and the owner and guys working there are top notch and IMO can not be beat knowledge or experience wise.

Lots of bass and pike fishing on almost all the lakes in the area either from the shore or in a boat. A boat is always better because you can move around and search for fish. Sight fishing for Pike is one of the funnest forms of fishing, especially in the early summer when they take topwater well.

Let me know what kind of fishing interests you guys and your capabilities and I can expand on the area a lot more. Dont forget the great fly fishing up the rivers in the spring and summer.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:15 PM

27 posts, read 49,459 times
fearnofish,

I don't want to hi-jack Greengables thread, so, if you have time would you scroll down and reply to my thread "Fishing and snow skiing"?

Thanks.

Old 12-21-2011, 03:59 PM

Thanks fearnofish,

My husband wants to know if the pan fish are good there and how are the salmon? Are rivers fly fishing only or can you spinner fish?

We would definitely have to do some education for the kids on safety out in the great outdoors. My husband does also want take up bow hunting with my son.

Thanks for the info and hoping to hear some news soon as we are looking forward to a spring move, God willing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearnofish View Post
The CDA area is ripe with Hospitals and clinics so being a RN is a great field to be in.

There are a lot of black bears and Moose in the area. Wolves are definatly a factor but not as prevalent. Cougars I would not really worry about, we have them but they tend to keep to their own... key word is tend to, always keep an eye out.

They will run into Bear and Moose if they spend much time in the outdoors. I have been bluff charged by more Moose than anything else, those are some of the meaniest biggest creatures out there.

If they are worried carry a large caliber handgun (and know how to use it properly) or the bear spray you can buy at any sporting goods store.

It is a great area to get them into bow hunting as well. If this interests you let me know and I will be more than happy to go into more detail and help you guys out.

Fishing is awesome. If you have a decent boat you will have all the opportunity you could want. www.fins1.com is a great local sporting good store. I worked there for several years and the owner and guys working there are top notch and IMO can not be beat knowledge or experience wise.

Lots of bass and pike fishing on almost all the lakes in the area either from the shore or in a boat. A boat is always better because you can move around and search for fish. Sight fishing for Pike is one of the funnest forms of fishing, especially in the early summer when they take topwater well.

Let me know what kind of fishing interests you guys and your capabilities and I can expand on the area a lot more. Dont forget the great fly fishing up the rivers in the spring and summer.

Old 12-21-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *** and Pig View Post
fearnofish,

I don't want to hi-jack Greengables thread, so, if you have time would you scroll down and reply to my thread "Fishing and snow skiing"?

Thanks.
No problem *** and Pig.....it's a free world, at least for now

Old 12-21-2011, 04:12 PM

804 posts, read 2,908,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greengables View Post
Thanks fearnofish,

My husband wants to know if the pan fish are good there and how are the salmon? Are rivers fly fishing only or can you spinner fish?

We would definitely have to do some education for the kids on safety out in the great outdoors. My husband does also want take up bow hunting with my son.

Thanks for the info and hoping to hear some news soon as we are looking forward to a spring move, God willing.
The pan fishing on the lakes can be great. A lot of fun for kids or adults too. The perch fishing through the ice on any of the iced over lakes in the winter is a blast too.

You can do both on the rivers. Above a certain point the river become artificial only with one single barbless hook. But if you stay below those points you will do just fine and have a lot of fun.

Some education would be good. Get them with people in the area who are familiar with such wildlife and they should have problem. Moose are the biggest factor as far as safety it seems. A ticked off Mama Moose is not something you want to encounter.

It is great area to take up bow hunting. A lot of opportunity for sure. Get a decent bow and not some old POS that's cheap or you will regret it and end up getting out of bow hunting or spending the money on a new bow.

I shoot the PSE Bowmadness XS and I would highly recommend it. As a newbie I would not get the XS but maybe the standard height.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:29 PM

Still have never encountered a Moose here in MI and know I don't want to, especially a mama!

Thanks for all the tips. May be hitting you up on more tips as we get closer to a move

It is such a beautiful place!

How's the 3-4 bedroom rentals in CDA area?

Old 12-21-2011, 06:38 PM

820 posts, read 1,756,809 times
I just rented one of mine for 900/month which was a 4/2. With rates the way they are, buying is cheaper than renting but you can definately rent for less than 1000/month.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:44 AM

That sounds better to me. Around here in West Mi we are talking 1200-1400/ mo for a 3 or 4bdr. Ridiculous. Proprty taxes are high here too.

Yes it is cheaper to buy, but we would want to get to know the area before we buy.

Thanks for the info.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:53 AM

Default Another question.

Where are the most friendliest/neighborly small towns around CDA area?

That are safest...could leave doors unlocked.
Could walk in a door and people know your name.
Could be stranded on the road out of gas, flat tire and someone would stop and help.
Less phony/yuppyish and more down to earth/real. Not afraid to admit yeah, my poo stinks too!
All still within a 20-30 min drive of a great hospital.
Good fishing of course, but I think that goes with the territory of CDA.

I know no place in perfect and you will find crime and jerks everywhere, but generally speaking what is your list of cities/towns for this kind of a place?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho