Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 01:53 PM

618 posts, read 1,610,295 times

Advertisements

Hello
For the past year or so, my family and I have been preparing to move to a new state. We currently live in northern Indiana and cannot stand living in this horrible location any longer.

Because we have never traveled out west, I was hoping someone might recommend a town, or at least a general area of Idaho that might suit our needs and wants. Some things we are looking for include:
-low crime
-low humidity (below 40%)
-not too much snow
-no really severe weather (F3-F5 tornado, huge snowstorms)
-near a college & elementary school
-no flooding
-possibly a nice small town near a big town
-shopping centers

I know this is a lot to ask for, but we were wondering if there is any area in Idaho that meets all/most/some of these things.

Any feedback as to nice places to live in Idaho or even places to stay away from is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 02:45 PM

1,378 posts, read 6,210,319 times
Come check out the Boise Metro area. I think you can get everything on your list here. Look at these websites:

Boise Metro Chamber of Commerce Official Website

Visitor Information (http://www.boisechamber.org/visitor/index.htm - broken link) (there's more kudos than this but these are some of them

new Home

Study: St. George, Utah Ranked Most Secure Place To Live (most safe place to live)

Some of the surrounding cities include the cities of Meridian, Eagle, Star and Nampa. See my post on Boise Real Estate Predictions; there's another webiste I listed on there that has an article on Boise's economy. I'd list it here but they don't like us to cross post the same thing if we can help it.

What is your price range? Some areas are more spendy than others so that can determine which part of the city would work best for you and your family.

Old 10-03-2007, 06:35 PM

278 posts, read 1,138,240 times
I would look out side the Boise metro area. Housing may be more then were your coming from most likely unless you’re moving from one of the big cities. More north or east. Boise area is growing so fast it is almost like living in a big Calif city with out the infrastructure to match. But then again I believe you will find what you’re looking for in weather in the Boise area for me Idaho dose not fit the bill at all any more and that’s way I no longer live there. I would also look into Bend Oregon but housing can be a bit there. almost any were in the great basin area you go you will have low humidity and no tornados to speak of and when one dose happen even a tiny one it is big news because there so rare. Good luck and well funny part is I am moving east to the Midwest because I miss it so much LOL I know I will miss the Mountains of the west but o well

Old 10-03-2007, 08:15 PM

thanks for your suggestions and links!

Old 10-09-2007, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldpolkadots View Post
thanks for your suggestions and links!

So, it looks like my family has narrowed our move down to the state of Idaho. But we have two more questions that we hope to get answered. First, how are there many teaching jobs available? Is it difficult to get hired to be a teacher? Second, what type of severe weather does Idaho get and in what parts? Thanks

Old 10-09-2007, 07:51 PM

1,378 posts, read 6,210,319 times
Idaho is a big state, what area are you referring to? Both questions you are asking can be answered differently depending on what part of the state you are in.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:05 AM

104 posts, read 365,702 times
Hey Goldpolkadots, I'm from Northern Indiana too! And I totally agree with you about this horrible depressing place. I too have Idaho on my list of possibly places to move to. Boise, mainly seems like the best location because your list of demands closely relates to the Boise area. I have those same qualifications I'm looking for that you had listed. Seems the smart people know to get out of Northern Indiana when they can. If you move, let me know how it is and I hope that your dreams come true and Idaho is the place you are happy with. I hope to find my happy place someday too.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:48 PM

258 posts, read 790,398 times
Some in my family moved to Nampa Idaho and they love it. I went to visit, it was a nice town. Of course I love mountains myself so when we took a day trip up to McCall Idaho, that's what I loved. But Nampa might appeal to you too. It's right next to Boise.

Old 10-10-2007, 02:33 PM

2 posts, read 5,551 times
Hi,

You might want to check the surrounding Twin Falls Area. The Boise area is great, but expanding quickly. How much you are willing to pay will probably determine the area. As for harsh weather Idaho is generally pretty boring. Sometimes we get some snow, but mostly in the mountains. On occasion a earthquake but a 2 or 3. Hope that helps

Old 10-10-2007, 02:56 PM

104 posts, read 365,702 times
How cold does it get there though during the Winter? I seen areas like Idaho Falls get really cold like highs only in the single digits. Is Boise and the surrounding towns like this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho