Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2011, 01:03 PM

51 posts, read 94,653 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to relocate from California. We have some money saved up to get an apartment and pay our rent for the first few months in advanced. Here in Cali we are at the 18% unemployment rate and their are just not enough jobs opening up. How is Idahos economy doing? What is the best town in Idaho to relocate and find jobs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 01:54 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,845,792 times
The job market is tough here too, but seems to be getting better slowly. Unemployment rates in the North around 10-13%, FYI.

Old 07-23-2011, 03:46 PM

382 posts, read 1,034,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shosho29 View Post
My husband and I are looking to relocate from California. We have some money saved up to get an apartment and pay our rent for the first few months in advanced. Here in Cali we are at the 18% unemployment rate and their are just not enough jobs opening up. How is Idahos economy doing? What is the best town in Idaho to relocate and find jobs?

Take it from me HAVE A JOB BEFORE YOU MOVE! Do not move without one secured! And even then be worried! You are entering a right to work state. You can be fired for any reason at all. And you can do nothing about it. You can be hired and fired the same day. Or next week or month. When ever they want too, your gone. It's why a lot of us had small businesses of our own. I am leaving cause I can't find work. And have had enough of living on the meager wages people are willing to pay you here. It's not cheap living in this state when you end up unemployed and can't find a job. It's even harder to move when your stuck. Idaho is not for everyone. You can't eat the scenery. So be careful. Paradise is full of problems...

Old 07-23-2011, 05:05 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,510,449 times
It's a tough job market here in north Idaho. Beautiful country to live in and I thank God I have a job here, but as I look around for another, hopefully better job, I am finding the job search pretty tough.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:27 AM

541 posts, read 1,225,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay View Post
Take it from me HAVE A JOB BEFORE YOU MOVE! Do not move without one secured! And even then be worried! You are entering a right to work state. You can be fired for any reason at all. And you can do nothing about it. You can be hired and fired the same day. Or next week or month. When ever they want too, your gone. It's why a lot of us had small businesses of our own. I am leaving cause I can't find work.
I'm not sure why this is so dire to a person seeking a job. If a business is going to invest the time and money to train you, it's typically with the understanding that they want you to become a productive member of that business. It would be a massive waste of capital to train people to have them only work for a month or two.

If you have no interest in being productive and are a slacker at heart, well, I guess then that could be a problem, and I could very easily see why a business would want to discard you and "go fish" again.

Old 07-24-2011, 11:24 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,400,905 times
The June jobs report had Idaho holding at 9.5% unemployment, but the most troubling sign is the very low demand for additional employees. At this time of the year, Idaho's seasonal job demand is traditionally very high.

This can only mean that all the agricultural jobs, light construction jobs (such as home building), heavy construction jobs (roads, large buildings and big projects), and tourist jobs are all falling off drastically. Idaho employment has has always been fat in the summer, lean in the winter. If demand is low now, it's only going to get worse in the next 6 months or more.

I have to disagree with Cmartel's last comment about being productive or a slacker. Idaho's Right to Work law allows both to be fired at will, and a lot of very productive people have lost their jobs due to preemptive cutbacks as businesses suddenly slow down. Losing a job can happen any time, anywhere right now. This is an especially serious problem for the folks who are senior employees or are middle aged, as young folks who are just entering the job market are willing to accept less.

In the end, it is an even more serious problem for a panicky employer. A labor force with high experience is simply more productive, produces higher quality work, and is faster to respond when conditions suddenly improve.

It is always better to cut wages and keep the labor force as intact as possible than it is to fire a lot of experienced workers and replace with inexperience. This creates a situation where the labor force produces less, with less quality of work, and is far less capable of meeting the demand for the goods or services if a demand suddenly arises. The end results from this are crappy work, overworked employees, and constant turnover. All make a company sink steadily.

I have 15 years experience as a small business owner, and have worked for companies large and small. I have seen all the stuff I just mentioned.

The notion of many workers being slackers is totally false these days, and has been for at least the past 10 years. The fat was trimmed out of the labor force many years ago. The only slackers that remain are in the management upstairs, and they're getting cut out increasingly now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho