Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2015, 09:12 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,909,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
Archaeologists are hunting for the site of the largest Native American massacre | Fox News

Archaeologists are hunting for the site of the largest Native American massacre

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionFamily View Post
Have they asked banjomike? If it's in Idaho, he probably knows it!

banjo is an excellent resource for everything Idaho. He keeps these threads sane! But, I have the honor of catching him off guard Probably the only time it will ever happen

https://www.city-data.com/forum/40238976-post97.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/40242526-post98.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2015, 02:26 PM

29,220 posts, read 22,414,183 times
There are a lot of others, past and present, who know (or knew) a lot more than I know.
History is a popular pursuit in Idaho, and the Idaho Historical Society, located in Boise, has a lot of really knowledgable members and a huge amount of archival material.

They have a good website:
Home | Idaho Historical Society

As importantly, if a newcomer goes out into a community and gets to know who the folks are who know local history, the faster one not only learns about our past. The person more quickly learns and adopts all the stuff that make our culture what it is. Very much of what I mention comes from this.

It's always good to remember that Idaho is a lightly populated state. We don't know all that much about big city life, or what life spent in the middle of millions of people is, but we all know a lot about what living here for a lifetime is and is not. Needless to say, it's much different here than any Californian can fully expect, just as it would be for someone like me to move to California to live.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:46 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,909,519 times
Fuld

Fuld’s Sun Valley Estate Auction Postponed for Four Weeks

Quote:
Wednesday’s planned auction of a Sun Valley, Idaho, estate owned by Richard “Dick” Fuld, who led Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc. into the biggest bankruptcy in U.S. history, was postponed for four weeks to let more bidders take part.

“We received strong last-minute interest and have decided to reschedule the auction to Sept. 17 in order to allow those bidders and any others who qualify the chance to participate,” Kari Neering, a spokeswoman for Concierge Auctions, said in an e-mail. “At this point we have an opening bid of $20 million, and the ultimate price will be determined on auction day.”

No slide name set - Inside the Sun Valley estate of ex-Lehman CEO Richard Fuld - CNNMoney

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/money/dam/a...io-780x439.jpg

Old 09-06-2015, 12:10 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,456,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
Hmm, hard to see that and have read about the 5 Star hotel to be built in Sun Valley.

Old 09-06-2015, 12:15 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,456,443 times
Idaho Falls follows Boise adding the Second Hospice Home in Idaho. I really like this idea. Sometimes care providers just need a break. Sometimes Hospice patients need more I.V. fluids etc. than can be given at home. This is a new but important part of Hospice Care, IMO.

Second hospice home in state holds open house | News - Home

Old 09-06-2015, 09:14 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,281,777 times
Default Driving: It's a gem in Idaho

Driving: It's a gem in Idaho - Coeur d'Alene Press: Local News

Old 09-06-2015, 09:14 PM

Are you folks in the panhandle gettins some relief from the smoke? I sure hope so; if not, I just watched the weather report, and relief is on its way. There should be some rain falling all over the panhandle next week.
For a change, we'll get the wind and you'll get the rain.

It got pretty cold last night here- probably hit 32 for a little while just before sunup. I'm hoping that it could be a foreshadow of a September cold snap with snow; we haven't had one for a while, but if it comes around the 15th, it could knock down the fires for good. It's the cold temps along with the moisture that does it best.
The downside to these snaps is someone always gets nicked in mid-harvest.
The upside is an October that's warm, sunny, and glorious to the bone.

Old 09-06-2015, 09:47 PM

271 posts, read 391,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Are you folks in the panhandle gettins some relief from the smoke? I sure hope so; if not, I just watched the weather report, and relief is on its way. There should be some rain falling all over the panhandle next week.
For a change, we'll get the wind and you'll get the rain.

It got pretty cold last night here- probably hit 32 for a little while just before sunup. I'm hoping that it could be a foreshadow of a September cold snap with snow; we haven't had one for a while, but if it comes around the 15th, it could knock down the fires for good. It's the cold temps along with the moisture that does it best.
The downside to these snaps is someone always gets nicked in mid-harvest.
The upside is an October that's warm, sunny, and glorious to the bone.
We've been getting decent rain for the second weekend in a row now and more is on the way. We are also 20 degrees below average temps right now instead of above. It's GREAT and I hope the whole region gets relief and the brutal winter I have been predicting.

Old 09-07-2015, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disciple1975 View Post
We've been getting decent rain for the second weekend in a row now and more is on the way. We are also 20 degrees below average temps right now instead of above. It's GREAT and I hope the whole region gets relief and the brutal winter I have been predicting.
The winter won't be brutal. Expect another warm and dry one, probably warmer and drier than last winter.
La Niña brings the snow and cold, El Niño brings the warm and dry, and this Niño is forecast to be the biggest on record.

The best we can hope for is a rainy October into early December. Optimum would be a rainy late March into April, but no one can call that one this far out.

Old 09-07-2015, 11:32 AM

349 posts, read 1,041,569 times
It's been great to breathe again in St Maries, it was getting bad until the cool and the rain came thru, most fires in the area are almost contained and all the evac notices have been dropped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho