Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2014, 08:32 PM

836 posts, read 1,662,669 times

Advertisements

Oops- didn't mean to leave a corn cob on your bar stool, sage- duly noted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 12:53 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,902,437 times
Boise tops Time Magazine list for 'getting it right' | KTVB.COM Boise

KTVB.COM
Posted on March 18, 2014 at 10:02 AM

BOISE -- The City of Trees has made more than its fair share of top ten lists in various national publications.

However, the most recent issue of Time includes an impressive addition for Idaho's capital city.

Under the magazine's "Solutions for America" header, Time ranked Boise no. 1 out of 9 cities for what it called "getting it right."

The criteria for cities to make the list includes a thriving economy, a booming cultural scene, quality health care, and a growing university.

Old 03-18-2014, 01:14 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,376,569 times
I read a piece yesterday that predicted Boise may become the newest hip city of the West to live in. The writer compared the social and music scene there to Seattle in the early 90's and Portland in the early 200's. I doubt very much Boise would ever be like Seattle or Portland in most things, though, even if the present boom keeps booming.

Old 03-18-2014, 02:10 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,902,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I read a piece yesterday that predicted Boise may become the newest hip city of the West to live in. The writer compared the social and music scene there to Seattle in the early 90's and Portland in the early 200's. I doubt very much Boise would ever be like Seattle or Portland in most things, though, even if the present boom keeps booming.
I can see that happening to Boise because the city has a large young hipster, professional population and the music scene here is incredible for a city this size. Here's a news article from last year:2012's Hottest Music Cities, According to SXSW - Richard Florida - The Atlantic Cities

But, I agree that Boise will never be an exact copy of Portland or Seattle because Boise is a strong independent city and has a strong identity. There have already been other similar sized cities striving to be like a "Boise" which is kind of cool. Boise will just be Boise no matter how large the city gets.

Old 03-18-2014, 03:09 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,376,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
I can see that happening to Boise because the city has a large young hipster, professional population and the music scene here is incredible for a city this size. Here's a news article from last year:2012's Hottest Music Cities, According to SXSW - Richard Florida - The Atlantic Cities

But, I agree that Boise will never be an exact copy of Portland or Seattle because Boise is a strong independent city and has a strong identity. There have already been other similar sized cities striving to be like a "Boise" which is kind of cool. Boise will just be Boise no matter how large the city gets.
Yup. I found it to be hopeful news for a lot of my musician friends who live in Boise. The Great Recession made a lot of hard times for musicians; lots of bars found karaoke machines and DJ's cheaper than live music, but hopefully, things are now looking up there. The scene here is still a shadow of what it once was, but I run into folks all the time who say they really miss live music.

Old 03-18-2014, 11:34 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,841,788 times
.....and....back to those news links....

Old 03-29-2014, 01:18 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,443,857 times
Default Some real life humor.

Sage,

As you explained in your nice note, I understand why some don't want the UT Cannibas Oil on this forum. As I also responded, Southern Idaho patients receive care in UT and at traveling clinics in ID. I didn't post the news article about the subject so you wouldn't have to remove it.

All that being said, a dear friend in OR is putting a beloved family pet down tomorrow. I had to laugh, despite the sad situation, when a few people offered to share their "Medical Cannibas" with my friend's furry family member.

The two extremes just struck me as funny. Just so we're clear, I understand why you had to remove the thread. I'm not trying to give you a hard time. I thought you might chuckle too, when I relayed the above story.

MSR

Old 03-29-2014, 12:18 PM

7,383 posts, read 12,675,598 times
Default Megaloads Through Bonner County

More Megaloads...looks inevitable this time.

Megaloads could roll through Bonner County - Bonner County Daily Bee: Local News

I can see how it could be done, but at some spots such as just east of Clark Fork it could be touch-and-go. Not much wiggle room. And they've just resurfaced the road--they'll probably have to do it again afterwards...

But at this point I'm more worried about coal train traffic increases...

Old 03-29-2014, 02:06 PM

332 posts, read 483,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
More Megaloads...looks inevitable this time.

Megaloads could roll through Bonner County - Bonner County Daily Bee: Local News

I can see how it could be done, but at some spots such as just east of Clark Fork it could be touch-and-go. Not much wiggle room. And they've just resurfaced the road--they'll probably have to do it again afterwards...

God, I hope that load isn't coming through when we move up there in May!

Old 03-29-2014, 05:36 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,013,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
I agree. The regular disruption is much more of a concern. This sounds like a one-time event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiden_is View Post
God, I hope that load isn't coming through when we move up there in May!
They will be limited to moving at night - 10PM to 6AM, so I'd guess any disruption would be minimal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho