Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2014, 09:17 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,765,920 times

Advertisements

Fish and Game halts wolf hunt in Idaho wilderness | Outdoors | Idahostatesman.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 01:01 PM

29,225 posts, read 22,442,019 times
That's no surprise, Misty.
The wolves in the Salmon area have smartened up due to the hunting pressure. The Salmon Wolf Derby created a lot of high emotion but no wolves. Only 14 coyotes were killed.
The winter has been open so far, making it easier for the wolves to move around in a time of year when they usually stay put. That's making them harder to hunt, and more scattered, so even a pro hunter is bound to have a harder time of it. Fish & Game's budget isn't large enough to support a failed effort for very long.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:51 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,915,855 times
Dogs expected to recover after mountain lion attack | KTVB.COM Boise

Old 02-05-2014, 10:18 AM

29,225 posts, read 22,442,019 times
A buddy of mine in Missoula said his dog woke him up twice in one night a couple of years ago.
The first time, there was a deer in his back yard. The dog wanted to go out to chase it. About an hour later, the dog woke him up again, but was growling and afraid the second time.
My friend grabbed a flashlight and shined it through a sliding glass door. He saw cat's eyes reflecting back at him. The next morning the tracks were either a very big bobcat or a mountain lion.

He lives right in the middle of town, only a few blocks away from a main drag.

Old 02-07-2014, 12:48 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,915,855 times
For those who don't know, Garden City is a little sliver of town along the Boise River and completely surrounded by the city of Boise.

Mountain lion killed in Garden City | Boise, Garden City, Mountain Home | Idahostatesman.com

http://media.idahostatesman.com/smed...A.AuSt.36.jpeg

Old 02-07-2014, 02:00 PM

We had one prowling the backyards of my suburban neighborhood in AZ. Cougars are the thing that give me the biggest heeby jeebies around here.

Old 02-07-2014, 03:42 PM

551 posts, read 806,520 times
Are cougars that common up there? How about black bears in NID?

Old 02-07-2014, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldafretired View Post
Are cougars that common up there? How about black bears in NID?
Cougars and black bears are both very common though you don't often see cougars. Very elusive critters. I've seen one but have also seen the tracks right near our cabin when we first moved here.

Old 02-07-2014, 05:13 PM

551 posts, read 806,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
Cougars and black bears are both very common though you don't often see cougars. Very elusive critters. I've seen one but have also seen the tracks right near our cabin when we first moved here.
Thanks. Don't really want to run into either one when jogging or riding my bike after moving up there. This is probably a dumb question but are moose aggressive? I know deer always run away but moose are pretty large and it sure wouldn't be fun with a huge moose mad at you.

Old 02-07-2014, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldafretired View Post
Thanks. Don't really want to run into either one when jogging or riding my bike after moving up there. This is probably a dumb question but are moose aggressive? I know deer always run away but moose are pretty large and it sure wouldn't be fun with a huge moose mad at you.
They can be, mostly during the rut in early autumn. Our nearest neighbor used to walk to get his mail with a .44 strapped to his hip because he'd been charged by a big bull when he walked up his driveway one year. He made it home without being stomped but I guess it gave him a good scare.

I have heard rangers say that they consider moose to be one of the most dangerous animals out there during the rut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho