Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 10:35 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,281,547 times

Advertisements

In all honesty, I think a new middle school is more of a grounded thought than a high school. Also, not in favor of the location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2015, 01:25 PM

29,220 posts, read 22,400,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Today I had a new thought about where the extra 8% of *no* voters comes from. Parents who are paying anywhere from $250/month for Daycare and $300- $500/month /student for private school may be voting no. I believe Montessori can be between $6K - 10K annually, depending on which one and the age of the child (ren).

Watersprings offers everything from Daycare through 12th grade. Prices vary depending on the age of a child or children enrolled. Additionally, Watersprings is building a Gym and asking each family to donate $50.00/month.

Those costs can be expensive for parents who don't plan to use public school. Watersprings, excluding Daycare has about 450 students. I'm certain some live in D#93.

I believe parents should educate their children as they feel is correct and afford. I've also read what a high growth district in another state did: added a value tax on new homes in the District Boundaries.

Ultimately, I think that Supermajority rule needs to be changed for school bonds.

What do you think? Could this group account for many no votes?
I agree. A school bond may need more than a simple majority, but the present situation is too demanding. A tiny minority now has the power to deny a large majority, and that ain't right.

In the end, the increased costs of construction, the higher costs of temporary classrooms, and the social costs of a poorer education all add up to much more than building adequate school space when its proven to be badly needed.
A good education is an elemental need with any big company who looks at Bonneville county as a place to set up an operation. A good school system attracts business, and good businesses hire well-educated people. I sure don't want a couple of generations of our kids come out of high school with a degree that doesn't qualify them for more than a career as a ditch digger.

Old 11-03-2015, 05:04 PM

385 posts, read 527,121 times
^ agreed 100%

and not to mention all of the excellent teachers who may look elsewhere due to the school situation and lack of care from the community

Old 11-03-2015, 06:46 PM

434 posts, read 417,862 times
Just voted. In favor of. I'm very fond of D93 thus far in my children's education. I overheard someone say this is a larger turnout (of voters) but it may just be because the boundaries for each precinct recently changed. IDK maybe just a different polling place. There were some young couples registering. A potentially good sign for those in favor of.

Old 11-04-2015, 12:57 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,451,866 times
Arrow A New District # 93 High School PASSED the Supermajority Vote!

Bonneville County election results 2015 | News - Home

Against New High School: 3,014 or 26%.

In Favor: 8,348 or 73%

D # 93 finally is getting a third high school

Aud. & Stadium Bond: 3,660 or 32%

In Favor 7,607 or 67%

The Aud. & Stadium Passed as well

Congratulations to the parents and students! Thanks to all who don't have students but voted to keep moving forward. I am proud of all who have given kids the chance to learn and potentially new businesses to locate in Bonneville County! Businesses have been watching. I can't say more now except good schools are always part of what businesses want for their employee's children.

Old 11-04-2015, 09:08 AM

742 posts, read 1,130,518 times
Congrats!

Old 11-04-2015, 09:39 AM

208 posts, read 318,511 times
SO I'm just baffled that twice voters denied a 56M bond, but now they essentially approve 67M?! Do they do everything backwards here? Doubtful those $$$ will equate to better quality education.

Old 11-04-2015, 10:30 AM

76 posts, read 87,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atvwife View Post
SO I'm just baffled that twice voters denied a 56M bond, but now they essentially approve 67M?! Do they do everything backwards here? Doubtful those $$$ will equate to better quality education.
"Voters" is not a homogeneous group. 65% of us voted yes on the previous one too. Only 8% reversed their earlier no votes. Probably due to the looming threat of split session and removal of the language that suggested surplus funds could be used for whatever the district wanted.

As to the statement about a better education; there are 70 students in one of my daughter's classes. Does anyone really think that dropping that to a reasonable level will do anything but improve the situation?

Old 02-17-2016, 12:27 PM

This is a cross post with the first post from a new thread f5 started about " Idaho Falls District 93 uses UTAH contractor to build new school."

02-12-2016, 05:59 AM

f5fstop*

1,190 posts, read*629,510*times

Does this upset any of you who pushed for the bond issue?*
Isn't there any Idaho contractors who could build a school?

I understand that many of the workers will be local, but that will usually be low paid workers, while the supervisors and above may be UT residents.

Just asking. But if I lived in this district, I would consider it a slap in the face of those paying for the building.

Utah contractor hired to build District 93 high school | News - Home

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, f5, you must have ESP, friends who know things or other. You started this thread on Friday, 2/12/2016 and then we all had the long President's Day Holiday. On the first business day since Friday, the State of ID agency that oversees construction received a complaint about this contract, which hasn't been formally signed yet.*

It appears Hughes wasn't 100% accurate on their RFP submission. They checked "yes" to having all the public licenses needed. They are busted!!! They don't physically have them yet as they haven't been issued by the state of Idaho yet, but will be prior to June when work is to start. They also don't have a second license approved yet, that of a full-time, Idaho GC/CM licensed Manager.*

I don't recall when the GC/CM was added. Public buildings in Idaho are moving to this model.*

D #93 reviewed the submission and thought everything was appropriate as the answers were marked "yes".

The investigation will take two days or possibly two weeks.

Some want the next company on the list D#93 made awarded the contract instead. That would be Headwaters from Victor. They have built a lot of student housing for BYU-IDAHO. Among the four schools they've constructed include an elementary school in D#93. But no high schools.

The third pick on the ranked list is the other contractor from Utah. Hope that company has all their licenses at their office currently.

Neither Bateman-Hall nor Ormond Construction were ranked, which suggests to me they couldn't meet the Accelerated Schedule of construction, given other projects. But, I could be wrong. I personally have never heard of those two companies not being listed for anything, if they have the time and subs to build.

We'll see what the STATE investigation reveals...................and maybe the state will name the anonymous person who complained.

Cross-posted as mentioned at the top of this post.

MSR

Old 02-18-2016, 04:11 AM

This is cross posted too. At least NPG dug into this story some. We'll see what happens with Hughes when they are in Boise today showing their license and application for the GC/CM license too. I hope the contractors who complained will go on the record.

For a "number of violations" very odd to me how it boils down to two and one is a non-issue. Someone had connections to the contract to have leaked the information Hughes didn't have licenses. That person or people are obviously in Idaho and they were not in the know enough to know the Hughes Public Works License arrived the next day, which is perfectly legal.

I agree with f5, someone who thought they knew something had connections to the D#93 School Board. Too bad they aren't named and that they didn't see the Public Works license the next day. I think these allegations prove there was no prior connection with Hughes. But I could be wrong. The state Contractor's licensing board will know within hours. Whether they investigate more, who knows.

District 93 board chair responds to contract allegations: District 93 board chair responds to contract allegations | News - Home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls